Conflicting thoughts - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-12-2009
Sk1ttlez's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 73
Conflicting thoughts

Somebody save me..

Here's my issue:

I've grown up in an area where everyone loves street racing and imports and little honda civics with fart cans to match. Basically whoever's sub hits the hardest wins and the guy with vtech and a short shifter is the envy of all.

I personally love my truck, the idea of off roading, a BL and big tires.

I now sit in the crosshairs of a modding dilemma.. I want to add cost effective power(exhaust/intake), put a lift on it, get some bigger tires, a toolbox and whatever else may enter my little brain along the way. But i've caught the import bug to an extent and keep looking at aftermarket headlights, HID's, smoked taillights, a blue bulb in my dome light(starting a black w/ blue theme - we'll see how that turns out) and again anything else that enters my mind. I've already hooked up the deck and aftermarket speakers and purchased a sub + amp which need to be hooked up for my ever so loved bass.

So i ask, is this a common thing? Offroading mixed with imports? How does it turn out? Any recommendations overall? Or even one area specifically? Anything from cost friendly yet reliable brand names to yay/nay sayers and additional ideas.

Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
I have an import and a truck, however my import is my race car, and my truck is my luxury vehicle. "Intake & exhaust" mods for your truck won't add any power on a stock engine, with a stock tune - so why bother? Most people just do them so it will sound faster and look cool.

Be careful saying "you've caught the import bug" because not all people who have imports just do those "useless" cosmetic mods.

In the end whatever makes you happy is what matters.

Last edited by Jp7; 02-12-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2009
braddokxlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: woodbridge VA
Posts: 342
There's really no mix between what you call import accesories and offroading you can do what ever you want to your own truck it's yours so there's no need to ask if other people like it. It's what ever you like your the one who has to drive it everyday so do what you like it's yours
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2009
Sk1ttlez's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
I have an import and a truck, however my import is my race car, and my truck is my luxury vehicle. I "intake & exhaust" mods for your truck won't add any power on a stock engine, with a stock tune - so why bother? Most people just do them so it will sound faster and look cool.

Be careful saying "you've caught the import bug" because not all people who have imports just do those "useless" cosmetic mods.

In the end whatever makes you happy is what matters.

Sorry if i offended you in any way. Let me put it this way, I'm 19 years old as are the majority of my friends. So low budgets abound and tend to create many "useless" mods. I did not mean this as a reflection of a whole just simply the community I'm familiar with.

Regarding the intake and exhaust, will i see any gains?(e.g. fuel economy or horsepower) Would it be in my benefit to get it tuned? If so what kind of time and costs am I looking at?

Just taking a moment to point out (if it's not already painfully apparent) that I know little if anything, on just about everything. Which is why i appreciate the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2009
Roddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,332
.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2009
Sk1ttlez's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 73
yes?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
dude...you could say my truck is a off roader mixed with imports......... subs, stereo, hid's, loud muff, intake, led's everywhere, bright *** dome light with 'ricer' bulbs, modded headlamps, clear corners, stickers, etc.

DO IT!

I can even help ya out on this whole black-n-blue theme...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2009
Sk1ttlez's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 73
Awesome! I'll definitely have to take you up on that offer.. I've browsed the forums and seen the self acclaimed LED freak title you have for yourself
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
^^stalker noob. hahahaha. jokin'! lol. I must warn you...i have a bad influence on people making their trucks darker looking...i've got that type of tunnel vision.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2009
Sk1ttlez's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 73
oh no worries, mines black and i'm looking at some black headlights on ebay as well as smoking the tails

not to mention already tinted
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk1ttlez View Post
Sorry if i offended you in any way. Let me put it this way, I'm 19 years old as are the majority of my friends. So low budgets abound and tend to create many "useless" mods. I did not mean this as a reflection of a whole just simply the community I'm familiar with.

Regarding the intake and exhaust, will i see any gains?(e.g. fuel economy or horsepower) Would it be in my benefit to get it tuned? If so what kind of time and costs am I looking at?

Just taking a moment to point out (if it's not already painfully apparent) that I know little if anything, on just about everything. Which is why i appreciate the advice.

Some of the best mods don't cost very much money. An LED cluster for example. As for fuel economy and power, it has been covered many many times. The stock intake and exhaust are optimized for the stock computer and engine. If you do some engine work and retune you can benifit from a better flowing exhaust or intake. The stock intake works excellent for the motor you have. So does the exhaust, unless you want it to sound different.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2009
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk1ttlez View Post
Somebody save me..

Here's my issue:

I've grown up in an area where everyone loves street racing and imports and little honda civics with fart cans to match. Basically whoever's sub hits the hardest wins and the guy with vtech and a short shifter is the envy of all.

I personally love my truck, the idea of off roading, a BL and big tires.

I now sit in the crosshairs of a modding dilemma.. I want to add cost effective power(exhaust/intake), put a lift on it, get some bigger tires, a toolbox and whatever else may enter my little brain along the way. But i've caught the import bug to an extent and keep looking at aftermarket headlights, HID's, smoked taillights, a blue bulb in my dome light(starting a black w/ blue theme - we'll see how that turns out) and again anything else that enters my mind. I've already hooked up the deck and aftermarket speakers and purchased a sub + amp which need to be hooked up for my ever so loved bass.

So i ask, is this a common thing? Offroading mixed with imports? How does it turn out? Any recommendations overall? Or even one area specifically? Anything from cost friendly yet reliable brand names to yay/nay sayers and additional ideas.

Thanks for the input
Why does everyone think a stereo system is associated with imports?

Sure, import people adopted loud stereos, but loud stereos were around long before it became popular to put a pep boys glass pack on your Honda.

Also, there is more to aftermarket stereo than subwoofers.

As far as other things like lights, if it looks clean and classy, it isn't rice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2009
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
I get what you're saying 100%. Grew up in Seattle and my truck is now lifted... really just make it yours. You like black HIDs? Then do 'em... you like a lift? Then do it.... mixing and matching mods is what R-F is all about and it's what makes your truck YOURS and not just a cookie cutter.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-12-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
Dude, look around the site and check out some of the bad *** offroad machines that could hold their own on the trail and at a show n shine. Shane,TrePaul,Zabeard to name a few for example.

Just because it's big and lifted doesn't mean it can't have some nice stuff. Be different, and be that cool guy with the lifted truck that makes those ricer's jaws drop.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2009
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Dude, look around the site and check out some of the bad *** offroad machines that could hold their own on the trail and at a show n shine. Shane,TrePaul,Zabeard to name a few for example.
LMAO at Shane in that category
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-12-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
"Rice" to me is any car that the owner tries to make it look and sound fast, but its not fast. If you spend more money on bodykits and wings than you spend on internal engine parts - I consider that ricey.

At the same time, I don't consider all honda's "rice" - sure they have a 1.6-2.0 engine, but I've seen some pretty serious GT30R B16 engines on EG civics. On the other hand, lets face it - most of them are not like this.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2009
Ace's Avatar
Ace Ace is offline
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central, Illinois
Posts: 3,448
where i live im one of the few with a truck it's mostly imports but when we all meet up we all respect each others ride and i have yet to have one person bash me for my truck its all compliments
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2009
sarasota4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sarasota florida
Posts: 404
half the trucks on here have sub's and systems

and i got a xbox hooked up my truck! ha
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2009
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
"Rice" to me is any car that the owner tries to make it look and sound fast, but its not fast. If you spend more money on bodykits and wings than you spend on internal engine parts - I consider that ricey.

I agree... wings and flames and body kits (expecially when they look cheap) are very "ricey". Hell my brother has a cobalt and I call it "rice" 'cause of some of his mods. A lot of trucks here have subs and lights so I don't really consider that to be "rice".
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I think its funny when people call any import rice. I have seen some pretty nasty looking Mustangs and Camaros.

GTR Mustang comes to mind again. Turbo rotary with headers and pistons. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Dude, look around the site and check out some of the bad *** offroad machines that could hold their own on the trail and at a show n shine. Shane,TrePaul,Zabeard to name a few for example.

Just because it's big and lifted doesn't mean it can't have some nice stuff. Be different, and be that cool guy with the lifted truck that makes those ricer's jaws drop.

Shane's truck at a Show-n-shine? HHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedESV View Post
I agree... wings and flames and body kits (expecially when they look cheap) are very "ricey". Hell my brother has a cobalt and I call it "rice" 'cause of some of his mods. A lot of trucks here have subs and lights so I don't really consider that to be "rice".
Let's face it though, my stock wing on my IX is Huge, but its stock! besides Subies and Evo's started that trend right?

I put a bodykit on my old FD Rx7, but that was AFTER I converted to 3mm apex seals, with a bridgeported intake setup, and a twin 50trim turbo setup.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2009
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
"Rice" to me is any car that the owner tries to make it look and sound fast, but its not fast. If you spend more money on bodykits and wings than you spend on internal engine parts - I consider that ricey.

At the same time, I don't consider all honda's "rice" - sure they have a 1.6-2.0 engine, but I've seen some pretty serious GT30R B16 engines on EG civics. On the other hand, lets face it - most of them are not like this.
Definition of rice is either:

a) Anything added to the vehicle which has no function.

b) Anything added to the vehicle which doesn't clean up the look over all.

This car could run 9's, it'd still be rice.


This car could not even move, it wouldn't be rice
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2009
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
Let's face it though, my stock wing on my IX is Huge, but its stock! besides Subies and Evo's started that trend right?
I like some wings..... my focus had a wing and then they came out with a bigger one and the Evo I like has a huge wing... it's a fine line for sure and I think driver attitude plays a part...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
This car could run 9's, it'd still be rice.


See, now I like this:


On a nice SR20 Silvia with a bigger turbo and supporting mods.

I don't think this is ricey or tasteless at all, although, the rockers and lip are too low for the roads I drive on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
t-bar crank: conflicting steps found buzzair Suspension Tech 41 06-04-2007 08:15 PM
Engine Problem.. Any Thoughts? rngprerunner General Technical & Electrical 41 09-20-2006 05:53 PM
Thoughts and Comments Skyjacker_44 General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 04-29-2005 11:48 PM
Wierd System Problem. Thoughts? rngprerunner Audio & Video Tech 7 03-14-2005 05:51 PM
Thoughts on this headunit I might buy? Zero Audio & Video Tech 9 12-11-2004 12:53 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.