Hmmm - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Hmmm

So i decided to fix up my first truck. Its a 4 cly 5 speed 4x4. the egine leaks water havent checked where.

So i want to build it up...

Something extream, has anyone done this... any ideas or picks would be great

Name:  l_9a54ede5104933b546959bd114f6cccc.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  59.2 KB

Last edited by redranger4.0; 05-01-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
fixed the picture
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
no picture.......and what exactly is it you want to do?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
picture fixed again
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
??? its a single cab ranger and ill git it for like 250 bucks the body has dents all over it so im thinking something like this

Name:  roob024.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  79.1 KB

EDIT: Fixed picture
Redranger4.0
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Ok i cant figure out the pick thing
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
First things first...Do you have any Fabrication knowledge? Or the Tooling to undertake a project of this size?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
that is one heck of a project.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
First things first...Do you have any Fabrication knowledge? Or the Tooling to undertake a project of this size?
^^no kidding......if not, then i wouldn't get your hopes up...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O113
??? its a single cab ranger and ill git it for like 250 bucks the body has dents all over it so im thinking something like this



EDIT: Fixed picture
Redranger4.0
Weird I was just going over to pirate to grab some pictures of this truck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
I work in a metal fab shop... i dont do any of the fabing but i have someone that will help be who used to build custom bumpers and roll cages.

I have one friend whos a mechanic w/ his own shop and a guy from ORR said if i biuld it like the one above i had to let him help... dont know if he really ment it though (hes the one that sent me the pic)

I have some knowledge of trucks but probably not enough to do that by my self.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O113
I work in a metal fab shop... i dont do any of the fabing but i have someone that will help be who used to build custom bumpers and roll cages.

I have one friend whos a mechanic w/ his own shop and a guy from ORR said if i biuld it like the one above i had to let him help... dont know if he really ment it though (hes the one that sent me the pic)

I have some knowledge of trucks but probably not enough to do that by my self.
Who from ORR Gumby? Its not the bumpers and rollcage that would be hard, its suspension geometry and the shear price of what you want to do. That truck has alot of money into it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Who from ORR Gumby? Its not the bumpers and rollcage that would be hard, its suspension geometry and the shear price of what you want to do. That truck has alot of money into it.
Gumby lives in Indianapolis, IN.....this guy lives in Oregan....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Who from ORR Gumby? Its not the bumpers and rollcage that would be hard, its suspension geometry and the shear price of what you want to do. That truck has alot of money into it.
icb12

couldnt this be a project in the making... get it running and build as you go/ break things... i can get either a 4.0L out of an 89(i think) astrostar all wheel drive or probably a 302 from my mechanic has always got engines laying around
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O113
icb12

couldnt this be a project in the making... get it running and build as you go/ break things... i can get either a 4.0L out of an 89(i think) astrostar all wheel drive or probably a 302 from my mechanic has always got engines laying around
Well you said extreme, so I figured this was a all at once build. do you have an idea on tire size your shooting for? purpose of the rig?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
i would like it to get there at some point... we have alot of trails snow and mud pits

i love trails but id like to push it a bit, but i owe to much on my '03. Id like to trailer a truck/jeep up there and i can get this one for $250. i took my '03 to the dunes and would love to do that a little more. '03's to expensive to take chances/ push to the limit

im still new to all of this but im having a blast so far
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Well you said extreme, so I figured this was a all at once build. do you have an idea on tire size your shooting for? purpose of the rig?
I had a buddy who said 36's where the most youd want to do for trail driving anything over 40 starts bringing problems... dont know if he was right
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
I say grab a D35/8.8 out of an explorer, Cut the fenders and bob the bed. Throw some 33's on it and go. For someone just starting out that would be a great setup. Even throw a locker in the rear axle, and you would be set for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O113
I had a buddy who said 36's where the most youd want to do for trail driving anything over 40 starts bringing problems... dont know if he was right
Its just a different build. You could run 49's or 54's with the right build. But building takes money.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Engine wise what would you suggest...

How do i find out what the rearend is... i know its not stock because i broke the yoke and had to get a new one at a special axle shop. the one i got was a hell of a lot bigger than the stock one napa said i needed.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
take some pictures and we can identify it for you. I say get a dirt cheap 2.9 or 4.0, for an easy swap.

I bet its an 8.8 or 7.5 though, as not many rear axles have the 5x4.5" bolt pattern and from the above picture your truck doenst appear to have a different rear pattern.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-01-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
take some pictures and we can identify it for you. I say get a dirt cheap 2.9 or 4.0, for an easy swap.
I should be able to get the 4.0 ^^^^ for free
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-01-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O113
I should be able to get the 4.0 ^^^^ for free
Im not positive by the 4.0 will prolly bolt up to your current transmission
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-01-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0

nice build, i like it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hmmm..What could it be? JRacer General Ford Ranger Discussion 59 11-24-2008 01:37 AM
hmmm 4in or 6in lift kit? Tyler James Exterior Semi-Tech 9 05-15-2008 06:21 AM
chrome or black? OR chrome AND black hmmm rangerkidSHSU Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 20 12-02-2007 08:39 PM
Hmmm.. Starter problems? Hawklore General Technical & Electrical 4 09-07-2007 10:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.