How do I.... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
How do I....

Since I am keeping the Mazda I am going to purchase some Super Swamper Boggers for the rear. NOW, I will never drive on these on the street (bad idea) so I will have the A/Ts and do the switch when I want to go off road.
My idea was to get a cover for the bed and just toss the tires in the bed, but then I remembered how I kinda wanted a roll bar. So then I could just chain the tires around the roll bar, but will the sun damage them?
Which will do more damage to the tires the sun or the heat? Or both LOL

The tires wont be back there all the time, just whenever I need them. So for most the time they will be in the garage, chained up.

First tires, then lockers, then gears.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2008
99MazdaB4000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,980
just throw some TSL swampers on there, on-road and off. LOL. but really, I'd love to see a B4K on boggers. Boggin B4K's FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2008
gatorblue92's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,238
i think the tires would be okay in the sun... my spare just sits in the bed in the sun but it is starting to get a little dry rot... its basically a emergency spare though since its only a 31 and all of my other tires are 33's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99MazdaB4000 View Post
just throw some TSL swampers on there, on-road and off. LOL. but really, I'd love to see a B4K on boggers. Boggin B4K's FTW!
Well Boggers would do amazing things for the poor 2wd.


B3K :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2008
t_schloesser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksGetDirty View Post
Well Boggers would do amazing things for the poor 2wd.


B3K :)
as long as you have enough power to spin them. what size are you getting? and are you planning on getting a hilift to jack up and switch them?

i've seen 2wd zuki's at mudfest with 38" boggers on the rear and 28" street tires on the front. its QUITE i scene if i do say so myself...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_schloesser View Post
as long as you have enough power to spin them. what size are you getting? and are you planning on getting a hilift to jack up and switch them?

i've seen 2wd zuki's at mudfest with 38" boggers on the rear and 28" street tires on the front. its QUITE i scene if i do say so myself...
I already own a hilift.

I might stay with the 33x12.5x15, or might get 35s. I didn't even think about what size to get
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2008
Ace's Avatar
Ace Ace is offline
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central, Illinois
Posts: 3,448
I dont see why the sun or heat would bother them. think of it like this do your tires that are on you truck right now get damaged from the sun or extreme heat? i know mine dont.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Eventually, but at the same rate as the tires on the vehicle. Build a pre-runner roll bar with double mount spare mounts and get some tire covers made if you are really worried.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
I don't want a prerunner front end.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
you can run em on the street every now and then. just dont do it for your daily driving.. you can toss em on before you go to the trail and take them off when you get home


p.s. locker
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-29-2008
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksGetDirty View Post
I don't want a prerunner front end.
he meant like this



ive seen other setups where they cut into the bed and mount the tires straight up and you cant ever put your tailgate back on
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-29-2008
OmegaRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 190
I won't lie I'm sure you will get sick of swapping especially if you wheel often. Eventually you will say screw it and run them on the road. I've seen a rollbar with a tonneau cover just modded around the rollbar and it rolls up to the bar. Then chain the boggers to the rollbar under the tonneau cover....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
I don't wheel often now that I work 3-9:30. Leaves no time for anything.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-29-2008
kuber4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 65
you can get a tonneau cover that will fit around a roll bar, but from what ive looked up, they are pricey, but if you have the money you could do that
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-29-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
I would just get 4 boggers and run them all the time. It really isn't that bad and the time you spend jacking them up (sweating in the FL heat), you'll be cursing yourself. Thats the last thing I would want to do before wheeling.

I'd also say get yourself a mini-spool for ~80...it does wonders.

If I were you, I'd do the double lift and 38.5" boggers so when you SAS it, you'll already have the tires :)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
I would just get 4 boggers and run them all the time. It really isn't that bad and the time you spend jacking them up (sweating in the FL heat), you'll be cursing yourself. Thats the last thing I would want to do before wheeling.

I'd also say get yourself a mini-spool for ~80...it does wonders.

If I were you, I'd do the double lift and 38.5" boggers so when you SAS it, you'll already have the tires :)
Boggers are horrible to drive on, I might just go the easy way and get Super Swamper TSL (or something) for a DD and OR.

38s would snap my front end
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksGetDirty View Post
Boggers are horrible to drive on, I might just go the easy way and get Super Swamper TSL (or something) for a DD and OR.

38s would snap my front end
Don't say these things if you haven't run them. You can handle 38's.

Boggers are just as bad as TSL's...actually IMO TSL's are worse on the road because of their tread pattern.

I have plenty of road time with boggers driving to the mudholes...a few buddies of mine run boggers on their DD's. They are rough for about 8-10 miles, then they smooth out...they are a bias ply so you have to be careful. If your serious about wheeling...you will love them.

If you want a good all around tire, maybe go with a TSL radial? Or even an SSR...I am still considering the 37 SSR
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
idk what your talking about. the bumpier and louder the tire.. the better
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
Don't say these things if you haven't run them. You can handle 38's.

Boggers are just as bad as TSL's...actually IMO TSL's are worse on the road because of their tread pattern.

I have plenty of road time with boggers driving to the mudholes...a few buddies of mine run boggers on their DD's. They are rough for about 8-10 miles, then they smooth out...they are a bias ply so you have to be careful. If your serious about wheeling...you will love them.

If you want a good all around tire, maybe go with a TSL radial? Or even an SSR...I am still considering the 37 SSR
Why would I need 38s? Can't 35s do the trick
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
35's would be fine. They are just a little small, I know I can fit a 37...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
there's an old saying..

go big or go home..
38s are bigger than 35s


they also put a bigger hole in your wallet
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-29-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
Darnit.... now I want huge tires and more lift!
I cannot get any bigger tires till I get new gears, stock gears FTL.

Poor little 2wd IFS. I am going to break it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
you could even SFA with a d30 and keep it 2wd for a while and you won't break much.

I break stuff all the time on my mud toy...I'll give you some advice I wish someone told me, don't expect your toy to be your DD
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-30-2008
TrucksGetDirty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
I would rather just SFA with a D44.

When I do the SAS I will own another small, crap car as a DD.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-30-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
When I do SAS, i'll have a tow rig.

lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.