Rotary motor - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-27-2012
Jake9488's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 116
Rotary motor

I know Mazda used to put them in their b1800 's in the 1970's but has anyone seen a modern adaptation to the newer style rangers and b-series pickups?
If not ....how cool would that be!?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2012
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
the rotary engine are horrible thats why mazda stopped production
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2012
Jake9488's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 116
I dunno...i think they were innovative.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2012
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
well you don't work for a Ford, Linclon, Mercury, Mazda and Volvo dealer.
the rotary has compression loss issues do to the seals wearing out, then the starters suck ***** and then they blow up from revving like a bastard. I

I was at the track with work once and a RX7 on Nitrous was mid track and the rotary blew sky high and i mean SKY HIGH and far tore the hood right off the car. Besides the fact the RX7 is badass with a LS1 swap
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2012
Jake9488's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 116
Ok sorry for pushing buttons....just an idea
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2012
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
lol why would you want a tiny motor that makes like no toque in a truck?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2012
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
i had 3 rotary cars, my first was a rx7 fc3s twin turbo, second was a rx7 single turbo fd3s, and third was an rx8 single turbo. All 3 cars were reliable and fast. the problem with the rotary engne is not the engine itself, it is the owner as they require a different kind of care. It is an excellent choce if you want a fast and nimble sports car, but not very good for a pick up truck. The only reason I gave up on them is because I wanted a car that was 4 wheel drive. I still tune rotaries professionally, and anyone who bad mouths them is uneducated towards the design and the advantages. most people without hands on experience are like that. They are dificult to tune, and lack of experience causes damage to the engine which results from knock. They do make worse fuel economy than traditional piston driven designs with far more moving parts. The main reason they are not as popular by OEMs is the cost of the tooling to produce them, the r&d involved, and the difficulty to get them to pass emissions. coming from someone who owns a sub-10 second daily driver, I have had my share of fast cars and I would seriously consider owning another one to build a fast car.

Last edited by Jp7; 03-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2012
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
Boom roasted.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2012
rangerrunner11's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: .
Posts: 1,018
lolz owned much
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2012
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
i had 3 rotary cars, my first was a rx7 fc3s twin turbo, second was a rx7 single turbo fd3s, and third was an rx8 single turbo. All 3 cars were reliable and fast. the problem with the rotary engne is not the engine itself, it is the owner as they require a different kind of care. It is an excellent choce if you want a fast and nimble sports car, but not very good for a pick up truck. The only reason I gave up on them is because I wanted a car that was 4 wheel drive. I still tune rotaries professionally, and anyone who bad mouths them is uneducated towards the design and the advantages. most people without hands on experience are like that. They are dificult to tune, and lack of experience causes damage to the engine which results from knock. They do make worse fuel economy than traditional piston driven designs with far more moving parts. The main reason they are not as popular by OEMs is the cost of the tooling to produce them, the r&d involved, and the difficulty to get them to pass emissions. coming from someone who owns a sub-10 second daily driver, I have had my share of fast cars and I would seriously consider owning another one to build a fast car.
Im talking RX8 the known flooding issues from a cold start then shutting it off then trying to turn it on they tend to flood from what i have seen. but to fix this Mazda released a TSB to re calibrate the PCM. Mazda doesn't recommend syn oil why the F not they rev out past 8700k but they also eat oil so checking it is mandatory like you said the Renisis requires a different type of attention then you typical engine which is totally correct. I agree with your decision to purchase a VIII and those things are total ANIMALS.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2012
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
yeah, they eat oil by designe, and that oil is supposed to burn. synthetics have such a high boiling point (usually) that id wont burn right. I used to wrk at valvoline and thats what they told us.

http://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/synthetc.htm
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-28-2012
rx3autocrosser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Duncan B.C
Posts: 16
Well if you guys know what I am all about , you'll know what I have to say Lol
I race Rotory engine cars for Team Retro Racing. If you take car of your Rotory car they will last especially now with the new apex seals that are better than in the past. Mazda did not stop production because the engines sucked Lol. In our economy , fuel efficeincy is key , same reason why all the new Fords have new engines. Rotory engine cars have legendary status in racing . Our Team does 12-24 Hr Enduro races and while running extremely hot temperatures and reving to 10,500 RPM... , reliablity are you kinding me . The race cars use a high octain gas w an oil pre-mix , part of the design ! For a 1.3L PP engine , the Team almost allways take best in class and they beat anything up to the 3.0L class including Porshe and BMW : ]
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-28-2012
rx3autocrosser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Duncan B.C
Posts: 16
Agreed , but don't forget the old Mazda REPU . They came w 1.3L and were very light trucks. Saw one for sale last year at the Cordoba Bay Show n Shine on Vancouver Island.

There is a Japanese Car Show at Spanish Banks Vancouver again this year, ..this time it is a major event with prizes and also new classes , even motorcycles.

I think a rotory owner has to be more of a pure enthusiust to understand what its all about , same thing goes for people who what to ride a sports bike. If your not passionate about it, it's not gonna work for you.

Great post : ]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-28-2012
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
Im talking RX8 the known flooding issues from a cold start then shutting it off then trying to turn it on they tend to flood from what i have seen. but to fix this Mazda released a TSB to re calibrate the PCM. Mazda doesn't recommend syn oil why the F not they rev out past 8700k but they also eat oil so checking it is mandatory like you said the Renisis requires a different type of attention then you typical engine which is totally correct. I agree with your decision to purchase a VIII and those things are total ANIMALS.
Not sure if you mean evolution viii or rx8, i do'not have an evolution viii. I have the evolution ix which has some significant differences.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-28-2012
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx3autocrosser View Post
i think a rotory owner has to be more of a pure enthusiust to understand what its all about , same thing goes for people who what to ride a sports bike. If your not passionate about it, it's not gonna work for you.

Great post : ]
Very true, would love to build a 20b single turbo car.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-28-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 347
Yeah... rotaries are insanely awesome in the right hands.

As for LS swaps into an RX-7, it's the stupidest thing you can do to such a good car. The stock rotary not only has a much lower center of gravity, but it IIRC weighs less than a LS.

Also, it tremendously decreases the value of the car. Purists like me and many others that are usually looking for a classic car would immediately turn around and walk away from such an abomination.

Keep Mazda/Ford engines in their respective vehicles, IE, 302 or 460 swap into a Ranger or B series, and a rotary car best keep its engine. Same goes for Chevy, Dodge, etc. Now, Cummins is their own brand, so they can go into a Ford or Chevy, and don't have to stay in a Dodge...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-28-2012
Jake9488's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 116
thanks for the backup my friends.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-28-2012
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996DangerRanger View Post
Yeah... rotaries are insanely awesome in the right hands.

As for LS swaps into an RX-7, it's the stupidest thing you can do to such a good car. The stock rotary not only has a much lower center of gravity, but it IIRC weighs less than a LS.

Also, it tremendously decreases the value of the car. Purists like me and many others that are usually looking for a classic car would immediately turn around and walk away from such an abomination.

Keep Mazda/Ford engines in their respective vehicles, IE, 302 or 460 swap into a Ranger or B series, and a rotary car best keep its engine. Same goes for Chevy, Dodge, etc. Now, Cummins is their own brand, so they can go into a Ford or Chevy, and don't have to stay in a Dodge...
A 13brew rotary weighs the same as the 3-cylinder motor from the geo metro. Putting a piston engine into any RX is sacrilege.. the "RX" stands for "rotary experiment"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-28-2012
rx3autocrosser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Duncan B.C
Posts: 16
For a sound Byte.....Look for Mazda 787b on You Tube or Mark Maloney's Red Bull RX3, it's a fire spitting monster!!

Also see Team Retro Racing videos while your there. Currently the team has 9 cars, two in development .We were receintly sponsored by Shell Oil. Racing ain't cheap!

Just some FYI

Enjoy : P
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-29-2012
mikey7o2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: las vegas nv
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
the rotary engine are horrible thats why Mazda stopped production
Thats not why the stopped using the Wankel rotary engine due to low rpm emissions. That was due to the placement of the intake and exhaust ports. The rotary engine is far more efficient than the common piston engine. The power to weight ratio a rotary engine can make is insane!!! There are rotary engines putting out well over 600 hp from a 1146 cc engine! Dint get me wrong I love American mussel but you have to give the RX7 some serious respect any time you see on one the road because you never know what beast lies under that hood!! And to any one who would ever rip the soul out of a RX7 to put in any other motor other than a rotary STOP WHAT YOUR DOING before you kill the soul and every thing the car stands for.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-29-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 347
10-4... the rotary is a beast that when awakened, it most likely will kick your ***.

I remember seeing a nice blacked out twin turbo third gen RX-7 on the highway one day... nice deep "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowwwwwlllll" as it flew past us at about 90 mph. Bet that thing had well over 300 hp. I wouldn't pick a fight with that car.

Rotaries love high rpms... they rev up quicker than any other engine out there that I know of, and that's due to not having pistons... it doesn't have any pistons to stop at TDC and go back down during the combustion cycle... only needs to spin faster in the direction it's spinning.

Emissions are why rotaries are not commonly manufactured. About 13 mpg average, and burning a little oil while running apparently disturbs the tightwads at the EPA. Mazda did an amazing job on the newer Renesis, which I believe is the last rotary that will ever be sold new in cars in the US, it barely passed the EPA's requirements at the time of introduction.

And yes, even at 13 mpg it is still more efficient than a piston engine. It actually uses the fuel you put into it.

I bet those Wankels running over 600 hp need to stop at every gas station, lol. Nature of the beast... it's gotta drink. A lot.

Speaking of RX-7's, I think I'm gonna have to visit the guy that has two first gens sitting in his backyard...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Killafornia
Posts: 1,523
wait
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Killafornia
Posts: 1,523
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-04-2012
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
i'm still waiting.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 347
http://youtu.be/d5LW478SHcM

1664 hp from 2.6 liters. Sure, BBC or BBF, or even SBC or SBF could put out that much, but it still is nowhere near the power to weight ratio, nor the power per liter ratio of a rotary engine. So, lighter weight with the same power=faster acceleration, and the one direction nature of the rotary=super quick increase of rpm=even faster acceleration... and this is probably on race gas. No alcohol, methanol, nitromethane or anything like that.

Rotary haters and destroyers of the legendary RX series by swapping in a piston engine, you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

In the end, with the right person owning it, the rotary is king. Idiots are the ones that blow them up and swap in a 350 or other piston engine.


On topic of engines... the OPOC engine is certainly a promising invention that may completely change the automobile as we know it. Power to weight in that design is actually better than conventional auto/truck piston engines, as it is actually a two stroke, and it brings the piston engine closer to the rotary in terms of power to weight. The spool up will never be matched though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Swap from Flex Fuel 3.0 to Non Flex Fuel Motor? mp5raycer General Technical & Electrical 1 09-21-2014 12:09 AM
Rotary Buffer Experience...??? deapee Auto Detailing 101 13 04-26-2007 05:09 AM
Any rotary polisher users here? Mike9825 Auto Detailing 101 13 07-06-2006 02:29 AM
rotary in a ranger? rich93ds General Ford Ranger Discussion 24 02-28-2006 04:22 PM
Will this motor work??? updated Question!!! TheForce02 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 26 10-31-2004 06:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.