Finally... some much needed power!! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Snapshots Share photos of vehicles in this sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-25-2011
immortal_vision's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: C
Posts: 612
Finally... some much needed power!!

just arrived!! Underdog Underdrive pulley and belt. Hopefully going to give me some of my oomph back to the truck since the 33's. Also got all my new parts and stuff in for my gear swap, 4.56s going in in a few weeks as well. How do you guys who have the pulley like it? Any posted gains? Gas mileage? Either way im excited for the added power, i heard UDPs are the best bang for the buck other than tuners.

Should be installed tomorrow!!





Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
let me know how it feels I'm temped to buy one
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2011
StrangerRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The 253
Posts: 756
I've been eyeing them for a good while as well. I wonder if it will make the PS pump make some less noise. Its kinda embarrassing driving through a parking lot with that sucker going nuts under the hood.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Killafornia
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerRanger View Post
I've been eyeing them for a good while as well. I wonder if it will make the PS pump make some less noise. Its kinda embarrassing driving through a parking lot with that sucker going nuts under the hood.
your not embarresed your supercharged.

maybe they work more effectively on bigger motors but ud sets are a joke with hondas
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2011
StrangerRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The 253
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES894x4 View Post
your not embarresed your supercharged.

maybe they work more effectively on bigger motors but ud sets are a joke with hondas
Ha I wish. Nah when its getting louder the more you turn it I think the effect wears off. Plus its freakishly loud. Pump isn't bad, i've pressure tested it and it passed. But god dang its loud.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2011
FULLSCALE's Avatar
Level III Supporter

iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clinton, Ontario
Posts: 8,181
I've been thinking of it as well.... looking forward to hearing your feedback!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2011
mudranger96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lehigh Acres, FL
Posts: 2,549
Didnt notice much after doing mine. Save yourself and replace the front main seal at the same time ($8 at advanced).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2011
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerRanger View Post
Ha I wish. Nah when its getting louder the more you turn it I think the effect wears off. Plus its freakishly loud. Pump isn't bad, i've pressure tested it and it passed. But god dang its loud.
The loud PS fix is actually surprisingly easy. The fluid is just old, thick, and contaminated, which causes the whining. Get 2 buddies, one in the cab, one under the truck, and you pouring fluid. Jack up the front take both wheels off, disconnect the PS return line that runs from the cooler to the pump, then have buddy in the cab turn the wheel pack and forth full clock, as he is doing so it will dump fluid out of the return line, all the while you should be pouring new fluid in. Never let the pump run out completely. Buddy under the truck should be watching the return line, once the gray/black crap fluid stops pumping out and he gets a solid stream of new red fluid it should be good to go. Reconnect the line, fill pump up to fill line indicated on cap. Put truck back together. Dispose of old fluid properly. Reward buddies with beer.

Take the truck for a spin, it will turn roughly for a bit, just do lots of turns, take it to a parking lot and weave back and forth slowly through the lot, full clock back and forth WHILE MOVING. The shaking in the wheel will go away, pump will sound much quieter because it is not pumping through the old trick fluid causing it to whine, it also will cause less stress on the pump which will extend it's life. Thank Masteratarms93 for advice.

Or you can turn up the radio and ignore it.


I used this fluid:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...h-stop-leak/30

You can also use regular Mecron ATF and just dump a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak in there with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2011
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
is it worth getting all three pullys or just the pictured?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North GA
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
The loud PS fix is actually surprisingly easy. The fluid is just old, thick, and contaminated, which causes the whining. Get 2 buddies, one in the cab, one under the truck, and you pouring fluid. Jack up the front take both wheels off, disconnect the PS return line that runs from the cooler to the pump, then have buddy in the cab turn the wheel pack and forth full clock, as he is doing so it will dump fluid out of the return line, all the while you should be pouring new fluid in. Never let the pump run out completely. Buddy under the truck should be watching the return line, once the gray/black crap fluid stops pumping out and he gets a solid stream of new red fluid it should be good to go. Reconnect the line, fill pump up to fill line indicated on cap. Put truck back together. Dispose of old fluid properly. Reward buddies with beer.

Take the truck for a spin, it will turn roughly for a bit, just do lots of turns, take it to a parking lot and weave back and forth slowly through the lot, full clock back and forth WHILE MOVING. The shaking in the wheel will go away, pump will sound much quieter because it is not pumping through the old trick fluid causing it to whine, it also will cause less stress on the pump which will extend it's life. Thank Masteratarms93 for advice.

Or you can turn up the radio and ignore it.


I used this fluid:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...h-stop-leak/30

You can also use regular Mecron ATF and just dump a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak in there with it.

The pumps just whine a lot, the fluid made NO difference in my 95 ranger or my buddies 98.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2011
ChristianGuy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hayward,CA
Posts: 78
Someone posted about his underdrive pulley kit
He said he got about 1.5 mpg increase

http://www.********************/prod...ve-pulley.html

Awe... That sucks! I can't seem to cut and paste it! Sorry

Last edited by ChristianGuy; 02-27-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2011
gearhead299's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 391
you'll prob get a little better mileage from the pulley, but the most noticable power gains will come when you put the gears in it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Camburg, some BTF, some Bilstein, some OEM yeatzee Snapshots 17 08-14-2012 05:17 PM
got some much needed work done 04RangerDave Snapshots 14 04-19-2012 02:33 PM
OHC needed adn info needed plz help OneTireFire General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 04-15-2010 07:34 AM
Did some much needed re-painting... jrpro130 Snapshots 29 08-08-2008 11:42 PM
How much power can I suck out of my cig lighter/power point Ranger1 General Technical & Electrical 14 09-23-2005 01:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.