The new to me commuter - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Snapshots Share photos of vehicles in this sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 11-26-2010
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
LOL all those vehicles for one person. What do the neighbors think?
Most my neighbors have multiple vehicles. Its actually common on my road lol. I live around a bunch of car people.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-09-2010
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
sweet man what motor? my friend has the same year but m3 slammed heres a pic with my truck
Name:  150052_468740244005_777249005_5920677_4680181_n.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  31.6 KB
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-09-2010
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
When you did your math to compare the cost of driving the other vehicles and the savings. Did you include the initial price of the car?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-09-2010
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
that is ALOT of miles for a DD, that would worry me and i dont think you can jsut go to advance when a part goes out can you?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-09-2010
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
they last for a while. My aunt had the exact same car and it died at 346k lol
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-09-2010
powerranger262's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 1,222
Seems like a great price. Now go put that stang in the garage, or is that full of vehicles too?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-09-2010
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
sweet man what motor? my friend has the same year but m3 slammed heres a pic with my truck
It's got the 1.8L in it. I'd love a I6, but was looking more for MPG's out of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
When you did your math to compare the cost of driving the other vehicles and the savings. Did you include the initial price of the car?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
that is ALOT of miles for a DD, that would worry me and i dont think you can jsut go to advance when a part goes out can you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
they last for a while. My aunt had the exact same car and it died at 346k lol
Exactly which is why I went with a bmw. They are built great mechanicly. However small things like window issues are the most common problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerranger262 View Post
Seems like a great price. Now go put that stang in the garage, or is that full of vehicles too?
I wish I could put it in the garage, but my parents put a storm shelter in there so there isn't enough room for even one car now.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-09-2010
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
I wouldnt have bought it as a dd. When parts do break, its going to be expensive to fix.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-09-2010
edgeman4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
Okay so I did some more math to figure out how long it would take me to start truly saving money with this car after the purchase.

This is if I drove one of my other vehicles

15mpg
3000k miles a month avg
200gal of gas a month
At $3.00gal
= $600 a month in gas. In 3 months I spent what I paid for the bmw.

Now comparing the bmw.
30mpg
3000k miles a month avg
100gal gas
At $3.00gal
= $300 a month in gas


Cuts the gas bill in half. It would take me roughly 5.5 months to recoup what I paid for the bmw. Anything after that it will save me $300 a month in gas. Which is a savings of $1,800 in the first year. Now if my commuting did happen to stay the same say for another year. That would save me $5,400 in the first 2 years of owning the car. Now given some of that savings will have to go to normal upkeep and what not, but that's still a decent chunk of change that would remain in my pocket. On top of that it will allow me to keep miles primarily off the ranger as it was my primary transportation until I got the bmw. So that saves me 36,000 miles on it. Which if I did drive it would put the ranger over 100k miles in a year. It is currently at 70k right now. Which saves me from potential costly repairs on it.


Which another reason I bring up why a 30mpg will allow me to earn more money when I go back to dominos doing delivery. When I was working there last. We were getting $1.16 a delivery in gas reimbursement. One delivery could be anywhere from 1-2 miles or up to an 18 mile round trip depending on where we went and at close to $3.00 a gallon. It doesn't take much math to figure up the savings.

However we will do a little more math.

Ranger
10 deliveries
100miles
1.16x10=$11
at 15mpg that is 6.6gal of gas
$3.00x6.6=$19.8
I would end up having to pay money driving the ranger at work.

BMW
10 deliveries
100miles
1.16x10=$11
at 30mpg its 3.3gal of gas
$3.00x3.3=$10


I would roughly break even. Which means I dont pay out of pocket. However there are plenty of nights where I do more or less in miles. However driving the bmw I dont lose anything. Driving the ranger it starts effecting my income. Now I have had nights where I have only taken 10 deliveries and driven like 40 miles. So you see why if you really want to make money in deliver you drive something that gets good gas mileage.

If I did this exact avg 5 nights a week. In one month I would save $176 by driving the bmw vs the ranger.


Now I know some are probably thinking. Why bother doing delivery? Well I will put it this way. Doing delivery in my area you make minimum wage+tips. I can literally make 2-3 times what I would working at minimum wage job or one that makes $9-10 an hour. Which without a college education around here. Your going to be stuck with maybe at most a $9 an hour job. Anyway that concludes this math lesson lol.
my asessment: Mike, i consider you a friend, which is why i feel confident that you wont get upset when i say this/ask these next few questions.. In no way do i say this offensively.

Perhaps it may be wise to get rid of a vehicle, or 2. When it comes to the point that you have to buy ANOTHER car to get good gas mileage when you already own so many, its probably time to throw in the towel with at least one.

Point # 2, you said "when i go back to work as a pizza delivery guy". I'm sure that i'm not the only one here wondering why you would put that much work into the economical workings of delivering pizzas? Since you're out of work, wouldnt it be time to beef up the 'ol resume in hopes of aspiring to a full time job? I'm fairly confident that dominoe's wont even come close to covering the insurance on all off your vehicles, let alone the payments/food/bills/whatever else you have on your plate.

Again, in no way was this intended to be an attack on you. Simply suggestions/questions that were on my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-09-2010
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
yea the m3 has the X5 4.4 swap
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-09-2010
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
I wouldnt have bought it as a dd. When parts do break, its going to be expensive to fix.
Not to concerned I have my own personal mechanic that works for friendship/beer/food lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 View Post
my asessment: Mike, i consider you a friend, which is why i feel confident that you wont get upset when i say this/ask these next few questions.. In no way do i say this offensively.

Perhaps it may be wise to get rid of a vehicle, or 2. When it comes to the point that you have to buy ANOTHER car to get good gas mileage when you already own so many, its probably time to throw in the towel with at least one.

Point # 2, you said "when i go back to work as a pizza delivery guy". I'm sure that i'm not the only one here wondering why you would put that much work into the economical workings of delivering pizzas? Since you're out of work, wouldnt it be time to beef up the 'ol resume in hopes of aspiring to a full time job? I'm fairly confident that dominoe's wont even come close to covering the insurance on all off your vehicles, let alone the payments/food/bills/whatever else you have on your plate.

Again, in no way was this intended to be an attack on you. Simply suggestions/questions that were on my mind.
None taken Drew. Part of the reason i got the car was commuting for school too. I was going to sign up for EMT class for spring, but it was too late. Soonest I can go is next june/july. So I am looking at going back to dominos to get as much money saved up to cover me so I dont need to work much while I am going to school. I can make twice if not 3 times as much working as a driver then at a regular job here that doesn't pay much more then minimum wage. I will only be in school for about 5 months before I will be working as an EMT. I tossed around the idea of selling off/down grading a vehicle. Right now that isn't particularly necessary. However if I feel I need to the option is there later on down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
yea the m3 has the X5 4.4 swap
Nice I bet it moves pretty nice!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-10-2010
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
Not to concerned I have my own personal mechanic that works for friendship/beer/food lol.
not talking about labor rates, talking about the actual parts themselves. My best friend had a 93 525i with 120k in highschool. The money he dumped into that car to keep it running was ridiculous and we did all the work ourselves.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**new new new** chevyslayer925 Member Introductions 22 01-27-2017 08:09 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.