Eliminating rear factory block - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-20-2008
chainfire's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Eliminating rear factory block

I want to get rid of my rear factory block for better articulation off road. I am getting a set of James Duff traction bars, so I am not worried about axle wrap. What can I use to replace them, and still maintain my factory ride height. I already need to replace my rear leaves because they are completely flat.

I looked at a set of Deavers, but I need to keep my tow capacity up. I need some opinions on the Deavers, are they really that bad? What else can I use?
Should I just get a set of stock replacement ones and install some Chevy Shackles?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-20-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
your taking the block out to get better articulation, but then the traction bars are gonna hurt it again..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-20-2008
chainfire's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Yeah I got that from reading, but I want to get a set of traction bars anyways, so I figure taking out the blocks with those will only help improve things. I have already dented my box sides from the 265's, and would rather not do any more.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-2008
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
I looked at a set of Deavers, but I need to keep my tow capacity up. I need some opinions on the Deavers, are they really that bad? What else can I use?
Should I just get a set of stock replacement ones and install some Chevy Shackles?
Yes, they are that bad for towing/hauling....BUT, call Deaver, they can throw together a set built to your specs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-20-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
you can go get a custom trac bar built that comes down the inside of the frame and attaches to the axle next to the pumpkin, it still does the same job and won't hurt your travel as much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-20-2008
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
I want to get rid of my rear factory block for better articulation off road. I am getting a set of James Duff traction bars, so I am not worried about axle wrap. What can I use to replace them, and still maintain my factory ride height. I already need to replace my rear leaves because they are completely flat.
Your factory block also acts as an impact area for the snubbers on your frame. Without them, the axle tube can take a hit.

If your leafs are flat, you should replace them.

As for ' articulation ', James Duff bars are basically like end-link types of mountings and have 2 points of pivot. Theres not going to be much articulation lost with them ( if any ).

Quote:
I looked at a set of Deavers, but I need to keep my tow capacity up. I need some opinions on the Deavers, are they really that bad? What else can I use?
Find a local spring shop. Have a set made.

Quote:
Should I just get a set of stock replacement ones and install some Chevy Shackles?
You could do that as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-20-2008
chainfire's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
thanks for the quick reply. with Xmas so close I'll probably have to wait till the new year. But i think there is a spring shop right behind my work. I never even thought of that. I'm so used to just going on the interwebs that thing like that slip my mind...



Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Your factory block also acts as an impact area for the snubbers on your frame. Without them, the axle tube can take a hit.
Is this so it kind of dissipates the force over a wider area when i do bottem them out? Or does it kind of act like a "crush zone"/cushion?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-20-2008
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
thanks for the quick reply. with Xmas so close I'll probably have to wait till the new year. But i think there is a spring shop right behind my work. I never even thought of that. I'm so used to just going on the interwebs that thing like that slip my mind...
Honestly.. I look for ' tid bits ' on websites and real facts in technical manuals or local fab shops.

Quote:
Is this so it kind of dissipates the force over a wider area when i do bottem them out? Or does it kind of act like a "crush zone"/cushion?
Its both. The blocks are bolted between the axle and spring so force still hits the axle tube. The blocks having that stopper built in also help keep the spring from being overly pushed by that extra 2 inches, thus extending their life a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-20-2008
chainfire's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Ahh I see. I am trying to learn as much as I can about suspension and how geometry affects things. I think its cool how you can temper and shape a coil spring to react different ways under different loads etc.

Do you know of any books/online manuals to help with suspension understanding?


I am most certainly going to talk to the spring shop behind me. They come in every so often for parts/tires (I work at a yamaha dealership) so I'm sure they wouldnt mind me asking some questions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.5 block and 2.3 block are they the same? TerryD SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 5 09-14-2015 05:37 PM
factory block heater ranger024x4 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 5 12-10-2010 10:28 PM
WTB: 98-07 2.5" Rear Block + UBolts/Hardware - ONTARIO Billy4x4 Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 0 07-15-2009 10:14 PM
removing rear block graniteguy Suspension Tech 18 09-17-2007 10:37 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.