Extended upper control arms. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Extended upper control arms.

well here are my new extended upper control arms, completely servicable and completely adjustable, now I just gotta save up for the coilovers.should have them on this weekend and then I will no longer have negative camber.

Name:  Picture023.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  107.2 KB
Name:  Picture022.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  83.4 KB
oh look a grease fitting, yay
  #2  
Old 02-21-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
:drool:

that is waht I need..well I need new upers anyway!
  #3  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
:drool:

that is waht I need..well I need new upers anyway!
Just uppers or an extended one? anyways dont skimp, buy Moog parts, you will thank yourself next time you have a bad ball joint.
  #4  
Old 02-21-2007
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
looks good cant wait to see...have fun with the install
  #5  
Old 02-21-2007
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
um...

so you took an adjustable upper arm, and added biger bolts and a crap load of washers?



yeah, let me know how that works out
  #6  
Old 02-21-2007
HighRollerII's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10,066
ah i c what you needed now..durr lol yea i didnt have one of those..but i got 4 of the other ones

looks good man..

cant wait to see the b4 and after pics
  #7  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay-briel
um...

so you took an adjustable upper arm, and added biger bolts and a crap load of washers?



yeah, let me know how that works out
I probbably should of made my first post a little clearer, First off the washers are for a test fit to see how big of a spacer I will need, then I am going to machine a steel spacer that will be welded to the inner part. Thanks for the nice comments though.
  #8  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRollerII
ah i c what you needed now..durr lol yea i didnt have one of those..but i got 4 of the other ones

looks good man..

cant wait to see the b4 and after pics
It's all good there was an explorer at the local junkyard, I got it for 20$'s.
  #9  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
this will be the end results after I get the coilovers.

  #10  
Old 02-21-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony84_2004
Just uppers or an extended one? anyways dont skimp, buy Moog parts, you will thank yourself next time you have a bad ball joint.
I need upers, lowers, tie rods, and inner tie rods.

On the hwy I'm swerving about 1/2 a lang w/o touching the steering wheel...

I need them badly, I have no money, no time, and no work place...
  #11  
Old 02-21-2007
HighRollerII's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10,066
what kind of coilovers you gunna run?

you ever plan on baggin
  #12  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRollerII
what kind of coilovers you gunna run?

you ever plan on baggin

qa1's adjustables,


No not bagging it, I'm not really going for the layed out look, I want it to handle good, and sit at a descent height.
  #13  
Old 02-21-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
If he flips the tie rods he will be decent...and that upper is at a terrible angle!!!

I read about that on RPS IIRC...it also looks like he flipped the ball joint? Or maybe thats just me
  #14  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
If he flips the tie rods he will be decent...and that upper is at a terrible angle!!!

I read about that on RPS IIRC...it also looks like he flipped the ball joint? Or maybe thats just me
his is'nt even sitting on the ground yet and the angle is pretty bad, but I pm'ed the guy that started the idea, he used to be a member over here "EdgeRat", and he has been ridin his with no problems for quite some time.
  #15  
Old 02-21-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Hmmm...

Just some info that I know from low(er)(ed) vehicles...

-I would flip the tie rods, just take them out and put them upside down on the spindle (it will greatly improve steering when you are that low)
-I would NOT flip the ball joint (as that guy did). It is unsafe, it's not meant to ride that way.
-If you don't flip the ball joint, you won't have that nasty of an angle on the upper...


Anyway, I'm preeety psyched to see it man! You can PM me whenever if you run into any snags, I know a little about that stuff.

On with the pics...do work son!!!!
  #16  
Old 02-21-2007
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
Hmmm...

Just some info that I know from low(er)(ed) vehicles...

-I would flip the tie rods, just take them out and put them upside down on the spindle (it will greatly improve steering when you are that low)
-I would NOT flip the ball joint (as that guy did). It is unsafe, it's not meant to ride that way.
-If you don't flip the ball joint, you won't have that nasty of an angle on the upper...


Anyway, I'm preeety psyched to see it man! You can PM me whenever if you run into any snags, I know a little about that stuff.

On with the pics...do work son!!!!

thanks for the input I have already flipped the tie rods, As far as doing what that guy did, no just using his truck for example of what i'm doing, I mean look at the spacer he made. THat looks safe right, lol.

  #17  
Old 02-23-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond, ME
Posts: 12
Yikes....For those who may not know the difference, and as I believe Anthony was hinting at, the picture in the previous post is not a good idea... A few washers may pass the straight face test, but the small diameter spacer is unsafe.
  #18  
Old 02-23-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i know you will use grade 8 bolts, but i wouldn't trust them with all that shear stress being put on them towards the middle and end.......

i don't think spacing them out that far is safe at all....
  #19  
Old 03-01-2007
EdgeRat33's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 109
I'm still around...I never got your PM Anthony...sorry

Yeah, I like the fact that people have gotten ideas as to how to do this all this stuff...Thanks too for giving credit to the person that may or may not have been the first.

Definitely flip that tie rod end. You will be much happier that you did. Probably the only difference I would have done is mount the balljoint section of the control arm 'upside down. That way it would raise the balljoint up a little and maybe cut down on that extreme angle that is now there.

It has been a bit of a pain overall, but I am still pleased with the end result. Keep it up.

Jason
  #20  
Old 03-01-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeRat33
I'm still around...I never got your PM Anthony...sorry

Yeah, I like the fact that people have gotten ideas as to how to do this all this stuff...Thanks too for giving credit to the person that may or may not have been the first.

Definitely flip that tie rod end. You will be much happier that you did. Probably the only difference I would have done is mount the balljoint section of the control arm 'upside down. That way it would raise the balljoint up a little and maybe cut down on that extreme angle that is now there.

It has been a bit of a pain overall, but I am still pleased with the end result. Keep it up.

Jason
Long time man! Hows the truck coming?
  #21  
Old 04-03-2007
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
Hmmm... I need some part numbers... or maybe just a little schooling. Where/How do you get those extendable upper arms? Which model of QA1s did you get or at least which measurements did you use?

Thanks.

I may look into getting a set of custom uppers made to use uniballs or w/e.
  #22  
Old 04-04-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lavergne,Tennessee
Posts: 27
well where is a good place to get those coilovers, an why use those carms, as soon as i get a pic of the adjustable carms i'm usin i will post them, cut the carm an add a 3inch adjuster thing, not sure wat to call it, but usin adjustable coilovers, watever height u want to go i can adjust the carm to that height, if that makes any sense, i will get a pic up later
  #23  
Old 04-05-2007
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
Personally, I'd rather have the adjustable upper Arm for measuring/mock-up and have a custom set of chromo tube upper arms with uniballs made.
  #24  
Old 12-27-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Overland park, ks
Posts: 1
Upper control arms

Anthony g,
did you use these (upper right) control arms for both sides?
Thanks.
  #25  
Old 12-29-2015
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Anthony has not been active since 2011, please try starting a new thread to ask your question. You may get a better responce.
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Control Arms?! ShockFuel Suspension Tech 10 10-11-2007 02:22 PM
would i need new upper control arms Matt3203 Suspension Tech 5 09-16-2007 04:25 PM
I think I broke my upper control arms/ ball joints jimmclrk1 Suspension Tech 10 02-02-2006 04:48 PM
Dana-Spicer upper 4x4 control arms/ball joints n3elz Suspension Tech 5 11-18-2005 07:58 PM
I just ordered upper ball joints w/ control arms!!! EdGe_wannabe General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 08-21-2005 12:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.