FL/GA guys...anyone up to the task? Simple SFA (D30 leaf setup) - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
and...looks like the tuck will be built around 38x15R15 boggers...on 15x12 wheels. Waggy is 5 on 5.5 correct? so spacer/adapters for the rear and all new 4 rims.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
if you can find one... an F250 D44 is setup for leaf springs. the caster should be almost perfect too. take a look at that. altho an f250 D44 is 8 lug and there are not adapters 5on4.5 to 8on6.5

a waggy axle is really the way to do. what is zainyD selling anyway? f150 axle?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
and...looks like the tuck will be built around 38x15R15 boggers...on 15x12 wheels. Waggy is 5 on 5.5 correct? so spacer/adapters for the rear and all new 4 rims.
i think waggy is 6on5.5 its a 6 lug axle
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
if you can find one... an F250 D44 is setup for leaf springs. the caster should be almost perfect too. take a look at that. altho an f250 D44 is 8 lug and there are not adapters 5on4.5 to 8on6.5

a waggy axle is really the way to do. what is zainyD selling anyway? f150 axle?
I'm definetly going wagoneer axle. zainy is selling I belive an f150 fw one...but setup for coils.

How off will the caster be on the wag 44? and what about hp/lp?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-12-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riverview, Fl
Posts: 1,340
yes they are a 6 lug. If got a lp waggy 44 in the back yard, that im in the process of selling. Ive got a few people around here that are selling some ford dana 44's let me see what i can find for you ricky.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRVP View Post
yes they are a 6 lug. If got a lp waggy 44 in the back yard, that im in the process of selling. Ive got a few people around here that are selling some ford dana 44's let me see what i can find for you ricky.
thanks LMK
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
I'm definetly going wagoneer axle. zainy is selling I belive an f150 fw one...but setup for coils.

How off will the caster be on the wag 44? and what about hp/lp?
I am not really sure. all i know is Jey and Brenton both had to grind the Cs off and put them back on in the correct orientation. this i do not want to do many because I am afraid I will not get it back on in the correct spot and it will be very hard to get it aligned straight. I mean we are talking about half degrees here for camber and caster... fine lines i dont want to go into without the proper tools. now maybe someone local (machine shop service) can do this for us?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-12-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riverview, Fl
Posts: 1,340
either that or if you want the one in my back yard its yours for 150. Ive started to clean it up and paint it.

Name:  100_1688.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  193.2 KB
Name:  100_1687.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  190.3 KB
Name:  100_1686.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  215.3 KB
Name:  100_1685.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  181.5 KB
Name:  100_1684.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  210.4 KB
Name:  100_1683.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  202.6 KB

I paid 225 for it.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
man you FL guys have it made, no rust! you could probably power wash that thing new tierod and spring perches and it would drive great!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-12-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riverview, Fl
Posts: 1,340
yea Ive been actually wire wheeling it to clean it off then spray canning it.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
man you FL guys have it made, no rust! you could probably power wash that thing new tierod and spring perches and it would drive great!
hows that one look? i'd buy it! It's a LP but doesn't appear to need anything more than spring perches and shock mounts, and new tie rods!!!

I am just worried about that caster.

No off road shop around here will mess with the caster...they will charge such a high price that it would be easier to do it ourself and mess up 10 times. There are 3 offroad shops locally, and all 3 are a rip off. Alignments on trucks...300 if they don't want to do it...no BS. Ask kevooo
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-12-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riverview, Fl
Posts: 1,340
I can get you some better pics if you want Ricky just let me know. The only thing is I don't know what gears are in the front diff.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRVP View Post
I can get you some better pics if you want Ricky just let me know. The only thing is I don't know what gears are in the front diff.
thats ok, either way i need gears to be 4wd. and i'll probably do 5.13 in rear anyway
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
the axle looks good to me.

caster we are not going to know until its under the truck and we are getting ready to mount the springs.

i wouldnt worry about the gears, not like you will be using them right away. if the hubs unlock and it spins free you may not need to do anything but brakes and hub rebuild.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
the axle looks good to me.

caster we are not going to know until its under the truck and we are getting ready to mount the springs.

i wouldnt worry about the gears, not like you will be using them right away. if the hubs unlock and it spins free you may not need to do anything but brakes and hub rebuild.
what about low pinion? would i just get the new knuckles to make it HP?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
nah, that is high and low steer. knuckles will change the steering.

Low pinion will work fine as long as you are not going super tall and wanting to spin the front driveshaft at high speeds.(55+ mph) HP helps the driveshaft angles and is a bit stronger its nice to have for us that run higher speeds on the road in 4wd during the winter.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
nah, that is high and low steer. knuckles will change the steering.

Low pinion will work fine as long as you are not going super tall and wanting to spin the front driveshaft at high speeds.(55+ mph) HP helps the driveshaft angles and is a bit stronger its nice to have for us that run higher speeds on the road in 4wd during the winter.
yea...I mean it's going to have to fit 37-38's...so probably 4-6" higher than it is sitting right now? maybe about your height (which I'm guessing is 4" higher than I am now)

I won't be running 4wd past 10mph :)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
kevins truck is a LP, he used to be as tall as me with the BL, but now he is lower.

I am about 35-36" to the bottom of the door.

so id guess you are about 28-29
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
kevins truck is a LP, he used to be as tall as me with the BL, but now he is lower.

I am about 35-36" to the bottom of the door.

so id guess you are about 28-29
his old setup (with the bl and leafs when they were new) is perfect. same with yours...perfect height. I can run 37 or 38 with that setup, should be no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-12-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
read this

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=37503

im sure you have already, Kevin did not move his outer Cs, so you should be fine.

I like hsi setup. we need to find out if the 3.0 is lighter or heavier than the 4.0, i like those all pro leafs. what you could do is call up alcan and get leafs made for a toyota with 6" of lift then tell them you want the spring rate higher to handle the weight.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-12-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
read this

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=37503

im sure you have already, Kevin did not move his outer Cs, so you should be fine.

I like hsi setup. we need to find out if the 3.0 is lighter or heavier than the 4.0, i like those all pro leafs. what you could do is call up alcan and get leafs made for a toyota with 6" of lift then tell them you want the spring rate higher to handle the weight.
read every word already :)

3.0 is lighter I would assume. What about rancho leaves? I know jey and brenton both run/ran those.

So I assume 6" of lift springs is about right? Taking in account for the shackle, etc
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
yes should be. i know that is what Kevin has on his truck. i think the waggy rancho lift springs are different. i think brentons are 4 inch lift for a waggy.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-13-2008
HighRollerII's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10,066
ricky if you bought that axle you could buy my chromie wheels to get the front lug to match buy the rear to match the front and i could throw those on a small pallet with the springs and the hard part would be out of the way
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-13-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRollerII View Post
ricky if you bought that axle you could buy my chromie wheels to get the front lug to match buy the rear to match the front and i could throw those on a small pallet with the springs and the hard part would be out of the way
Thats what I was thinking :)

Your fronts are 6 on 5.5 and the rear is 5 on 4.5?

I was looking at he rock crawler d series...I like those. I think I want to go 15x12 so i can stretch out that 38.5 bogger :)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-13-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riverview, Fl
Posts: 1,340
This is goin to be great. I cant wait to see it get going. You need any parts let me know and ill see what i can find out my way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue_Oval's D30 Leaf Spring SAS Thread blue_oval Solid Axle Swaps 11 02-26-2012 01:40 PM
All you SFA guys.. 99ranger4x4 General Technical & Electrical 4 08-26-2008 06:47 AM
Need help from the FL guys (4x4 Shop to do SFA) jrpro130 General Ford Ranger Discussion 59 08-26-2007 10:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.