Skyjacker Leafsprings: NOT for 2008's!!!!!!! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-10-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Skyjacker Leafsprings: NOT for 2008's!!!!!!!

Thats right, they dont fit on my 2008. i installed the 4" lift springs yesterday.

When I was putting them on, the wheels went forward of the wheel well when i hooked the springs to the axle. I thought I had them on backwards, but the little wedge on the bottom of the springs only goes one way, so i know they arent backwards. I thought it was weird, but when i took the axle off the jack stand, they flexed back and the wheels fit... somewhat but the wheels were still a little forward. Anyway, i took the truck out today to test em out and when I flexed my rear suspension, the wheel went forward and caught the fender.

Needless to say I'm pissed that these damn things dont fit right!

Does anyone have any ideas to make these things work? im positive I did everything right. Sorry no pics, camera broke today lol (great day huh?)

EDIT: and my @#$%$##@ swaybar links are getting louder, its pissing me off too!!!!!! Hurry up FX4 Wannabe and ship those things!!!! lol
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
as far as i know there were not design changes to the frame in 08, revise the install something is together wrong

the longer part of the spring goes towards that back.

check the part numbers? are they the correct ones?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08XLT4x4 View Post
Thats right, they dont fit on my 2008. i installed the 4" lift springs yesterday.

When I was putting them on, the wheels went forward of the wheel well when i hooked the springs to the axle. I thought I had them on backwards, but the little wedge on the bottom of the springs only goes one way, so i know they arent backwards. I thought it was weird, but when i took the axle off the jack stand, they flexed back and the wheels fit... somewhat but the wheels were still a little forward. Anyway, i took the truck out today to test em out and when I flexed my rear suspension, the wheel went forward and caught the fender.

Needless to say I'm pissed that these damn things dont fit right!

Does anyone have any ideas to make these things work? im positive I did everything right. Sorry no pics, camera broke today lol (great day huh?)

EDIT: and my @#$%$##@ swaybar links are getting louder, its pissing me off too!!!!!! Hurry up FX4 Wannabe and ship those things!!!! lol
How much do you want for them?

On a pos note...do you have one backwards? is it CENTERED on the pin?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
agree'ed that has been no major frame change since 1998...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2008
gatorblue92's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,238
yeah something cant be right here... the big end of the wedge is in the rear like this <
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblue92 View Post
yeah something cant be right here... the big end of the wedge is in the rear like this <
Exactly! Thats how I put them on. They are centered on the factory block (center pin fits perfect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
as far as i know there were not design changes to the frame in 08, revise the install something is together wrong

the longer part of the spring goes towards that back.

check the part numbers? are they the correct ones?

Part number is FR34S "Softride SPRG 4inch Rear Ranger"

man I hope I did something completely wrong here, i want them to fit, but I really think they aint gonna work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone View Post
agree'ed that has been no major frame change since 1998...
I dunno, Ford could have been creative with the '08s and moved the brackets around. They very easily could have moved the damn thing forward making these not center up right (i hope not, but i cant figure this out)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08XLT4x4 View Post
I dunno, Ford could have been creative with the '08s and moved the brackets around. They very easily could have moved the damn thing forward making these not center up right (i hope not, but i cant figure this out)
being the fact that the ranger is gonna die. why in hell would they move it. takes alot of time to move a bracket even 1" the process is insane. and sorry i high doubt anything has even remotely changed. might want to get another member over there to help you something is wrong on it.. and yes you can have one in backwards from the other causeing problems
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2008
gatorblue92's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,238
i would double check and make sure they are in the right way... one of mine had the wedge on sideways i guess from shipping... its possible it could have been turned around
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Dang that sucks. Maybe you could move the mounts back like a inch? I know thats a ton of work but...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
well don't the 08s have lower torsion bars? wonder if they changed the leaf springs as well....

and the rear only has a 1.25" block?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-11-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
well don't the 08s have lower torsion bars? wonder if they changed the leaf springs as well....

and the rear only has a 1.25" block?
exactly, thats why i think it might be possible they wont fit due to some change to the frame, spring mounts, or whatever. i know its stupid for ford to change something thats going out of production lilke that but ford has done dumber things.

(im still hoping ive screwed up somehow though! lol) but i havent heard anything that i havent already tried ie springs backwards. which they are not.

Last edited by 08XLT4x4; 07-11-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
WEIRD. They were shipped out yesterday. Should be there mon or tues.


Are you still running the stock shackle? Believe you have to run the stock shackle. When tightening the shackle to the spring or hanger, was the truck on it's own feet when it was tightened?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Well I just got off the phone with AutoAnything where i bought them and Skyjacker. It seems that there was some sort of mistake and the leafs I received were labeled wrong. Autoanything just drop ships most of thier stuff, so I received them directly from Skyjacker.

Skyjacker had me measure from the centerbolt to the eylet, and the springs are not the correct size. just got back from UPS... shipped em back to skyjacker. I should have the correct springs next week sometime.

Now i get to go put my old springs back on till next week. Wow, Im having fun today!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
WEIRD. They were shipped out yesterday. Should be there mon or tues.
Its all good man, Im not upset or anything at you, just my truck. lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-11-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08XLT4x4 View Post
Well I just got off the phone with AutoAnything where i bought them and Skyjacker. It seems that there was some sort of mistake and the leafs I received were labeled wrong. Autoanything just drop ships most of thier stuff, so I received them directly from Skyjacker.

Skyjacker had me measure from the centerbolt to the eylet, and the springs are not the correct size. just got back from UPS... shipped em back to skyjacker. I should have the correct springs next week sometime.

Now i get to go put my old springs back on till next week. Wow, Im having fun today!
I bet thats a relief.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Are you still running the stock shackle? Believe you have to run the stock shackle. When tightening the shackle to the spring or hanger, was the truck on it's own feet when it was tightened?
you can run any shackle that you want to
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
well.......you can run any of those retarded two different sized ends shackle like we have. so long we have the stock hanger.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: keys, bars, u-bolts, shocks, leafsprings, corners, rims, tires, step bars - NM BILTRITE BULLIES Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 31 07-03-2010 09:50 PM
SkyJacker Leaf Springs Not Bolting Up? outdoorsman Suspension Tech 10 10-17-2009 12:18 PM
Skyjacker 4" leafsprings, couple questions for anyone running them? TaggyTagz Suspension Tech 5 09-29-2009 07:18 PM
towhooks, leafsprings, shocks, bumpers, jumpseats, etc. (CA) 08XLT4x4 Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 5 04-30-2009 06:48 PM
new leafsprings boomer27127 Suspension Tech 7 06-26-2008 02:32 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.