Suburban torture testing the Chevy springs and 4W discs - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-27-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Suburban torture testing the Chevy springs and 4W discs

I lowered my truck today. It only took about 10 minutes and 2440 pounds of landscape rock. Even so, there was still over an inch of travel left before the bumpstops would contact.

Hauled it (carefully) about 15 miles with no problems. The 4W discs worked great, too.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2006
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Wow, nice job. Are they special bump stops? They look as if they are.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2006
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
I lowered my truck today. It only took about 10 minutes and 2440 pounds of landscape rock. Even so, there was still over an inch of travel left before the bumpstops would contact.

Hauled it (carefully) about 15 miles with no problems. The 4W discs worked great, too.




yea with the chevy springs or a AAL our trucks can haul alot in the bed. not the 700 rated from the factory. when i had my rcd lift with AAl's i hauled a ton of rock too. was just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
holy crap. looks like you tested it good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
Wow, nice job. Are they special bump stops? They look as if they are.
06 F350 - they bolt right on and are about twice as tall. I have longer than standard shocks and don't want them bottoming internally.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
Nice Bob. How much rake does your truck have now after the spring swap.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
ya do you have a un-lowered shot bob lol. nice load too
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
Is that lava rock?? Wow, you must've got a lot of it, cause that is the lightest bag of rock we sell at Lowes. Although you do have about 1.125 "bed full"s there..

I may be doing this mod soon.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear
Nice Bob. How much rake does your truck have now after the spring swap.
A lot. The Chevy springs jacked it up about 2 1/2~ 3". I need to do something to the front suspension next.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolla_guy72
Is that lava rock?? Wow, you must've got a lot of it, cause that is the lightest bag of rock we sell at Lowes. Although you do have about 1.125 "bed full"s there.
Yes, but it seems a lot more dense than the bagged stuff. Plus it came from bulk storage outdoors, so it's wet.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2006
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
06 F350 - they bolt right on and are about twice as tall. I have longer than standard shocks and don't want them bottoming internally.
They would be beneficial to me also, with my larger tires, to keep them from cramming so bad. Do you have a part number handy? If not, I'll just look it up online or whatever.

Did you buy them through normal channels, and if so, how much are they?

Ha ha! Sorry for all the questions. I really like them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Very nice Bob, looks like its all holding up well. I dont think the rake looks too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Yes, but it seems a lot more dense than the bagged stuff. Plus it came from bulk storage outdoors, so it's wet.
Ah!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
They would be beneficial to me also, with my larger tires, to keep them from cramming so bad. Do you have a part number handy? If not, I'll just look it up online or whatever.

Did you buy them through normal channels, and if so, how much are they?

Ha ha! Sorry for all the questions. I really like them.
6C3Z-4730-A Bumper.

I ordered them at a Ford dealer and I think they were about $17 each.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2006
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Thanks, Bob! Dang, very affordable. It's a no-brainer mod when I get around to it. Good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-27-2006
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
i need to get some of thouse as well
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-27-2006
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Don't keep it lowered. I have done that with bags of mulch in the bed, 1200lbs. worth. I made two trips with about 1000lbs. and one trip with about 1200lbs. It was only for about 4 miles each trip.

p.s. Sharp lookin truck!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-27-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
I would have been riding on the bump stops with that load and the factory Ranger springs. The C1500 Chevy springs are stronger (as expected) but really tighten up when the overloads hit.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-27-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger01
Don't keep it lowered. I have done that with bags of mulch in the bed, 1200lbs. worth. I made two trips with about 1000lbs. and one trip with about 1200lbs. It was only for about 4 miles each trip.

p.s. Sharp lookin truck!
1200lbs. of mulch = 30 bags.

1000lbs. of mulch = 25 bags.

I hate lowe's, lol. Sorry I couldn't help it, I'm the person that loads all that stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-27-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
If anyone tows heavy loads, like rock, for instance, regularly-- this would be a good mod for them to save their suspension... maybe even add a helper spring kit.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-27-2006
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolla_guy72
1200lbs. of mulch = 30 bags.

1000lbs. of mulch = 25 bags.

I hate lowe's, lol. Sorry I couldn't help it, I'm the person that loads all that stuff.
It made it kinda interesting loading 30 bags of mulch into the bed with a tool box in the bed too. I had it to the point where I could barely see out the rear window. No pics. though.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-27-2006
Glowin3232's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orlando(school) Sarasota(home), FL.
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
yea with the chevy springs or a AAL our trucks can haul alot in the bed. not the 700 rated from the factory. when i had my rcd lift with AAl's i hauled a ton of rock too. was just fine.
The stock springs are only rated for 700lbs?!?! I had about 1800lbs on my stock springs before I lifted it and the mudflaps would drag the ground on bumps...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-27-2006
rangererv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 4,376
haha sweet. Go for 5k next time
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-27-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,072
Good idea on the tall bump stops Bob. Last time I had a big load in my Ranger, the Gibson pipe made my emergency brake cable flat on one side. Didn't do any damage, just a little heat shaping. Tall stops might help that problemo.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-27-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Aberdeen and Salisbury MD
Posts: 1,840
man that look sweet. looks like it held it own pretty well
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eBay / Craigslist Find: My 1971 Suburban on Ebay - PA Offroad02 eBay & Craigslist Finds 2 04-30-2010 04:01 PM
interesting synthetic oil torture test - Videos wydopnthrtl General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 10-16-2009 04:23 PM
Hitch from a 73-91 Chevy Suburban ChaosFromAbove General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 04-15-2009 11:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.