XLT spindles vs. Edge spindles - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-08-2005
aftermarket's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ab, ab
Posts: 655
XLT spindles vs. Edge spindles

Fabtech's are two different model number/part numbers.

Does anyone know if they are the same part.

I'd like to pick up these cheap if I thought they were the same thing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

Anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2005
Alon's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
xlt and edge spindles are different
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2005
aftermarket's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ab, ab
Posts: 655
Damm....grrrr..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 109
grr but why wont they work on an edge??? my buddy has an 02 with the fabtech i think 5.5" kit and wants to give it to me cheeeap cause hes going long travel. i have an 04 edge...why why why why? exactly wont this work??? the rear def should right?

we are both 4x2's also
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
John,
they are COMPLETELY different fron suspensions, some rangers are edges and some aren't. so if something works on one doesn't mean it'll work on another. This is why fabtech makes special spindles for edges and different ones for the XLT. The question has been asnwered.. please ask another one.

and please have your friend go over "front suspension 101" with you so he may better explain. Alon told you it won't work but then youare asking him again why.... he told you already.

This is kinda going back to the John Griggs thread about giving wrong information... if people like you keep asking why, I'd give you the wrong info jsut to make you happy and then I could say I told you so, because you didn't wanna listen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by afi_pilot85
grr but why wont they work on an edge??? my buddy has an 02 with the fabtech i think 5.5" kit and wants to give it to me cheeeap cause hes going long travel. i have an 04 edge...why why why why? exactly wont this work??? the rear def should right?

we are both 4x2's also
ok think about this look at both suspensions. he has T-bars you have coils if you have XLT it wont work....different suspension think about this an 1998 f-150 has spindles and there is a spindle lift so thats means it works on a ranger...no...same thing...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 109
lol put ever so nicely thanks! :P i kno im a young pain in the a$$ .....So listen all you dumb noobs...the F'n suspensions are different and thats final! if you wanna be dumb be dumb and try..but when it doesn't work than I TOLD YOU SO!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 109
oh yah thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
if you realize you are a pain in the ***.... would you stop being one? I was trying to help you, but you should never question something you don't know about. go do research and then ask questions. it'll get you a better response instead of just trying to suck out information on someone.

there is a search button as well.

have a wonderful day
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
The reason they are different is the spacing between tha a-arms primaily. The Edge arms mount differently relative to the XLT arms. This makes the space between the lower and upper arms greater.

Using one spindle over the other would completely whack the geometry of the suspension, hence the two different designs. It's not about the type of spring used, it's about the arm spacing.

Finally, for some reason the xlt 4x2 uses a different a-arm up top, in the sense that the shaft from the balljoint that goes into the spindle is smaller than it is on all 4x4's and 4x2 Edges (and exploders, for that matter). So an XLT spindle would not mount up to your existing upper ball joints either.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2005
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
sell me the lift for the xlt!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2005
YellowEdge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: White House, TN
Posts: 442
Quote:
John,
they are COMPLETELY different fron suspensions, some rangers are edges and some aren't. so if something works on one doesn't mean it'll work on another. This is why fabtech makes special spindles for edges and different ones for the XLT. The question has been asnwered.. please ask another one.

and please have your friend go over "front suspension 101" with you so he may better explain. Alon told you it won't work but then youare asking him again why.... he told you already.

This is kinda going back to the John Griggs thread about giving wrong information... if people like you keep asking why, I'd give you the wrong info jsut to make you happy and then I could say I told you so, because you didn't wanna listen.

Quote:
if you realize you are a pain in the ***.... would you stop being one? I was trying to help you, but you should never question something you don't know about. go do research and then ask questions. it'll get you a better response instead of just trying to suck out information on someone.
Man did someone wake up in a bad mood...he got excited and thought he might get a lift then got all disapointed...no need to be an *** to him gezzz....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-2005
solodos's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NOVA (Northern Virginia)
Posts: 361
Buy My Spindles!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 222
how much you want for them?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
I am confused. Why would they be so different ? Are you saying a new ranger of some model has coil springs and not T-bars ?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-28-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
I am confused. Why would they be so different ? Are you saying a new ranger of some model has coil springs and not T-bars ?
a regular XLT and not a 4x4 XLT...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-28-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
a regualar xlt has coil springs ? thats werid why be different.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-28-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
a regualar xlt has coil springs ? thats werid why be different.
because the coild spring isnt as tall the piont of the 2wd truck is not to be tall and the t-bar suspentions is supposted to be
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-28-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 109
pickup im sorry man, i was just trying to make some fun out of my stupidity or lack of "suspension knowledge". I actually did use the search button, obviously i wasn't succesful finding the info i was hoping to find. so i asked a question. n3elz answered that for me, hopefully he didn't stress himself out as well answering my "dumb" question. have a nice day too sir...as for the rest thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-28-2005
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
\/ \/ \/ \/ Sorry, couldn't help it
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-29-2005
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
a regualar xlt has coil springs ? thats werid why be different.

coils springs are a smoother ride, however t-bars can take a better beating


at least thats what i heard
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-29-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay-briel
coils springs are a smoother ride, however t-bars can take a better beating


at least thats what i heard

Werd.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-29-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay-briel
coils springs are a smoother ride, however t-bars can take a better beating


at least thats what i heard
It's probably so, but the main reason is t-bars are cheaper to make a 4x4 suspension for SLA IFS where the spring needs to be out of the way of the drive axle. Normally, SLA IFS springs are centered in the arms, which is right where the axle needs to be.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-30-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
What does SLA mean anyway ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-30-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Short-Long-Arm -- it refers to the two "a" arms and the top one is shorter than the bottom one meaning you have zero camber only when they are both level. Any change in the suspension cause negative camber to occur.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Buy: 3" spindles for xlt The_Dealer Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 5 11-25-2009 11:19 AM
Want to Buy: 2001+ Lift Spindles 2wd XLT - CT JeremyFXDWG Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 0 11-21-2009 11:27 PM
Checking Interest: CA: 2002 XLT Spindles $75 jamesxEDGE Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 6 03-31-2009 03:50 PM
Fabtech Spindles or Springtech Spindles? i need help! Marko2Ranger Suspension Tech 17 12-30-2007 02:21 PM
Cheap XL / XLT lift spindles RangerJustin General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 11-23-2007 11:08 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.