What tire pressure should I actually use? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-07-2004
FireRanger's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Ok, the tire sidewall say 44psi. The truck says 30 something PSI. Which should I actually use and why? I've been keeping them at the 44psi indicated on the tire just because thats what the tire says.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Macon, Georgia
Posts: 95
What tire pressure should I actually use?

I was always told growing up that the tire is the maximum it can handle and the number on the door jam of the truck is the number you should run because that is the proper pressure after taking the load of the truck in consideration for the tire to wear evenly...if you are running 44psi i would imagine you are wearing the center of your tires out very quickly....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gadsden, AL
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
Ok, the tire sidewall say 44psi. The truck says 30 something PSI. Which should I actually use and why? I've been keeping them at the 44psi indicated on the tire just because thats what the tire says.
Funny thing you ask this. Last week I had a flat and asked the guy at the tire place that very question. He said that either 44 or the usual 35 would work and wear the tire about the same. He says that he uses 35 for the softer ride unless he is hauling something other than *** and then he airs them up to 44 for extra support for the weight.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2004
aftermarket's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ab, ab
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03F150Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
Ok, the tire sidewall say 44psi. The truck says 30 something PSI. Which should I actually use and why? I've been keeping them at the 44psi indicated on the tire just because thats what the tire says.
Funny thing you ask this. Last week I had a flat and asked the guy at the tire place that very question. He said that either 44 or the usual 35 would work and wear the tire about the same. He says that he uses 35 for the softer ride unless he is hauling something other than *** and then he airs them up to 44 for extra support for the weight.

I've heard the identical same thing too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2004
Trevelyn1015's Avatar
Still El Presidente...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,900
i run 34psi in my 32" mt's
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2004
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
it is going to be a little diff. depending on the tire. on a general rule i would say that what your truck says would be the best to start off with. after you have had your tires for a little while check how they are wearing, if the middle is wearing more the decreas pressure, if the sides are wearing more then increase pressure.

i know that on my stock tires and my Revo's that i am running 30psi and getting even wear, so i would recommend the 30psi until you can start checking your tread better. also remember that if your tread is already jacked up then take that into consideration
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: outside Detroit, where it's safer
Posts: 874
Drive from wet pavement to dry and vary the pressure so that the entire tire is contacting the pavement. On mine that is 42psi front and 37 rear. The front is much heavier than the rear so it needs more pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 688
I run 35 psi all the way around, on stock Wrangler RT-S tires. I rotate every 5000, and they a wearing very evenly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2004
Trevelyn1015's Avatar
Still El Presidente...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,900
i rotate every 6(every other oil change)... it can't hurt...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 526
TEXAS MEET pics.......

I like to run about 32 p.s.i all around.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 56
I run between 35 and 40 in mine.... I rotate every time I change the oil.... about 3,000. During the Winter, depending on how bad the road is, I run 25 lbs. Drops Gas Mileage, But Helps with traction.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-23-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: outside Detroit, where it's safer
Posts: 874
Lower pressure hurts traction in snow. You guys sure like to change your oil.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2004
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
explain to me how lower pressure hurts traction in the snow?

everytime i go to the dunes i drop my tires down to 18psi and get gobs of traction, the snow would be no diferent.

the enginers at ford motor company have figured out what tire pressure your tires should be at, this is printed on the door sticker, the gas tank door and on the visor on all of the newer products.


i'll be honest i have played around with the pressures on my 04 with the 31's and i think the truck rides like crap with them maxed out at 50psi, i tryed them at the stock setting 30 psi front 35 psi rear, got a lot of "highway hop" from it in the rear, last i set them both front and rear to 30 psi (4x4 rangers call for this setting from the factory) and it rides the best this way with the oversized tires.

think of your tires as basketballs, the more you inflate them the higher they bounce!
the tires and pressure setting are designed to handle the GVW and adding more pressure is pretty much useless, thats like the old golf ball through a garden hose saying!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-26-2004
mental ambiguity
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
explain to me how lower pressure hurts traction in the snow?

everytime i go to the dunes i drop my tires down to 18psi and get gobs of traction, the snow would be no diferent.
Going by what I've been told/read/watched/whatever, the lower the pressure, the more surface area you have in contact with the wet cold stuff. I don't remember all the technical reasons, but it's something to do with width hurting your ability to move in the snow. A narrower tire will go through snow better than a wider tire.

Now, for all intents and purposes, those of us varying very little when it comes to what tires we get after our stock tires, I don't think it makes much difference if you drop it down 10 or so PSI or not. So in reality, unless you're severely dropping the pressure, I see no benefit to it, with the exception fo the fact that I don't believe it helps any in the snow.

Now, with the sand, that's a different story. A guy I used to wheel with was telling me how he'd drop the pressure in his tires down to 10psi, and have tons of traction.

Unfortunately, sand and snow are two very different things. Because of the coldness and wetness of the snow, I don't think you get the traction that you do with sand.

Bear in mind, I'm probably just talking out my ***, as I certainly don't remember any of the details any more. But, it is very different on sand and snow.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-26-2004
dave01978's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sk0t evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
explain to me how lower pressure hurts traction in the snow?

everytime i go to the dunes i drop my tires down to 18psi and get gobs of traction, the snow would be no diferent.
Going by what I've been told/read/watched/whatever, the lower the pressure, the more surface area you have in contact with the wet cold stuff. I don't remember all the technical reasons, but it's something to do with width hurting your ability to move in the snow. A narrower tire will go through snow better than a wider tire.

Now, for all intents and purposes, those of us varying very little when it comes to what tires we get after our stock tires, I don't think it makes much difference if you drop it down 10 or so PSI or not. So in reality, unless you're severely dropping the pressure, I see no benefit to it, with the exception fo the fact that I don't believe it helps any in the snow.

Now, with the sand, that's a different story. A guy I used to wheel with was telling me how he'd drop the pressure in his tires down to 10psi, and have tons of traction.

Unfortunately, sand and snow are two very different things. Because of the coldness and wetness of the snow, I don't think you get the traction that you do with sand.

Bear in mind, I'm probably just talking out my ***, as I certainly don't remember any of the details any more. But, it is very different on sand and snow.
I also agree with skot I know it is better with higher in the snow the sand is from what i've read though (no sand around me)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-27-2004
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
use 30PSI front and back. that is what ford says to put in our trucks. not only does it say that on our truck but i work at costco in the tire center and it also says that ford wants us to put 30psi front and back.

i have been doing this since i have had my truck and i have even tread wear.

you should not be running your tires and full PSI. that is what the tire can handle not what your tire should be at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-27-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: outside Detroit, where it's safer
Posts: 874
You need flotation in sand and you don't need floatation in snow. You want to cut through the snow to the pavement. There is nothing to cut through to in sand so you want to stay on top. In general, in mud and snow, wide is wrong.

I don't know why you put 30 in the front and 35 in the rear, if anything it should be the other way around. The front is much heavier than the rear. 50 would be rediculous. Like I said, I run 42/37 when I am doing long trips or daily driving. I go down to 32/30 when I go camping. I do not have the stock tires on my truck. I spent some time playing with the pressures and monitoring the contact patch. I adjusted the pressures so that the entire footprint of the tire was touching the ground. You can do that by driving from wet pavement to dry.

I do find it interesting that you say Ford says run 30psi so you should do what they say, and at the same time you modify everything that Ford engineered to be a certain way. Not meant to start a flame war, just an observation. Remember what happened when the people in the explorers ran the manufacturers suggested tire pressures?

And think about this, you know your truck weighs more in front than it does in the rear, why do they say to use the same pressure front and rear? In the end, realize that it is a suggested pressure meant to cover all situations. You can adjust your tire pressures to suit your use of the vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-27-2004
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
I bumped the stock BFG A/T pressure up to 45 for the ride up to Niagara and posted my best milage ever @ 19.4 MPG. The ride was bouncy, but nice. Hey if I want a smoother ride I get out of the truck and into the Honda. With the higher inflation the rear end does feel like it is bouncing more, but I never carry any load and there is a lot of sprung weight on that back leaf suspension. The rear end never leaves the gound, just has that feel. Tire wear seems even, I am just approaching 6K most all highway.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-27-2004
FireRanger's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Well, after a little while running 33psi, I found it sucks. The tires squeel on every turn. I can baby it and you would think I was trying to burn rubber. I am stopping at the firehouse on the way home and putting them back up to 40psi. It won't be as soft, but that is fine with me.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-27-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: outside Detroit, where it's safer
Posts: 874
So we seem to agree then, that 30psi is too soft.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-27-2004
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Julie
I do find it interesting that you say Ford says run 30psi so you should do what they say, and at the same time you modify everything that Ford engineered to be a certain way. Not meant to start a flame war, just an observation. Remember what happened when the people in the explorers ran the manufacturers suggested tire pressures?
I run 30psi because that is what gives me EVEN tire wear and that is what you want!!! get that straight OK, it happens to be that 30psi i also what ford recommends.

In the modifying comment are you talking about all of the stuff that i do to my truck??? if so then i find that to be a stupid comment!

The explorers where having problems because of Bad Tires and Bad drivers. Car&Driver did a test in witch they blew the tires out on an explorer and they could not get the thing to flip. they did the test several times and on the last time the driver was not holding on to the steering wheel when it happened. obviously it wasn't a matter of LOW or no tire pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-27-2004
FireRanger's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
The tires blowing out was an equipment problem. The rolling over part was people who don't know how to drive. What is the first thing everyone does when they blow a tire, especially those who have little to know driving sense? Slam on the brake and rapidly cut the wheel to the side to compensate and pull over. Gee, they wonder why the thing rolled over. it would do that regardless of the flat tire or not.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-27-2004
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: outside Detroit, where it's safer
Posts: 874
The tire pressure recommended by Ford for the explorer was 25psi. Any moron should be able to tell that won't work. Everyone knows that the faster you go the more pressure you need because the tire gets hotter. That's why cause the firestones to fail. Low pressure, high speeds, cheap tires, high loads and high heat, the stupid drivers caused the rollovers. 30psi is a ball park figure, you wouldn't use that pressure with a full load at 70mph I hope. In the motorcycle world there are two tire pressures listed. Even my Audi has two tire pressures listed. For high speeds and or heavy loads they both ask for higher pressures. They both ask for two psi more than light load and low speed.

30psi will, depending on the tire maybe, get you uneven wear. You can't possibly think that the front and rear weigh the same on that truck. The tires are the same and with different loads on them they will have a different contact patch and therefore there is no way the could wear the same.

And yes, I think it is hypocritical to say you must adhere to Ford's design intentions on tire pressures but not for anything else that might make it faster or change its appearance.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-27-2004
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
Dave and Julie whoever you are,

yes, i DO get even tire wear out of 30psi, FRONT and BACK. i understand what you are saying about weight, but understand the words that i am typing. I GET EVEN TIRE WEAR. do you understand that now?!?! and yes depending on the tires, pressure may need to be changed, but on stock and my Revo's 30psi has been perfect



now follow what i am going to quote VERY closely so that you can maybe understand what was said, ok?

i said:
"I run 30psi because that is what gives me EVEN tire wear and that is what you want!!! get that straight OK, it happens to be that 30psi i also what ford recommends"

you said:
"And yes, I think it is hypocritical to say you must adhere to Ford's design intentions on tire pressures but not for anything else that might make it faster or change its appearance."

now i will explain, AGAIN
"I run 30psi because that is what gives me EVEN tire wear and that is what you want!!!"
self explanatory!!!

"get that straight OK, it happens to be that 30psi i also what ford recommends."
In your last post you state that i do 30psi because i "must adhere to Ford's design intentions" well if you re-read what i said, i said that i run 30psi because it gives me even tire wear, it JUST HAPPENS to be that that is what ford recommends, OK!!! what i am trying to say that i could care less what for recommends for the tire, i am going to do what the tire needs. if you still can't understand that then i don't know what else to tell you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-27-2004
Trevelyn1015's Avatar
Still El Presidente...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,900
i run 34 psi and my tires have worn flawlessly...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to use for fuel pressure to jet my 2002 Range for nitrous? tractorman Forced Induction & N20 Tech 0 01-11-2013 11:02 PM
Oil Pressure Port Location for adding an aftermarket oil pressure sending unit FRXLT 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 29 01-31-2012 11:05 AM
Need help on how fast i'm actually going on a different tire size. straightedge Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 6 08-10-2006 10:02 PM
First time in a long time iv actually been "stuck"!!!! marcos General Ford Ranger Discussion 29 10-29-2005 11:47 AM
I actually Have a 2.8L V6?? redneckff7 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 6 09-23-2005 05:55 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.