why are my tires wearing so fast? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-09-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle, MI
Posts: 39
why are my tires wearing so fast?

before the winter i bought some SA4 all season tires(215/70-14) and i got them siped for better traction. i have put about 7k on them and the rear tires are just about to the wear bars. the front tires are just fine. i dont spin the tires very often. i know its about time to get them rotated. i know i bought the cheapo tires but there arent any real good choices in a 14. one of my buddies told me they wore out so fast because they are the wrong load rating. does that effect wear? next time i buy tires what should i get that is ecomical and good in the snow?

thanks, CH
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2012
Redneck Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 249
The load rating will only affect your wear if you're hauling things. Do you haul anything in the bed? Next, cheaper tires = poorer quality. Plus, where you drive makes a difference too. Cold climate? Warm climate? Cold makes the rubber harder and the opposite for warmer, causing them to wear either slow or fast. Speed is a major role on them too. Drive fast? Then the rubber gets heated up and wears down quicker. There's a lot of factors that can cause quick wear to the tires.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2012
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lighting View Post
before the winter i bought some SA4 all season tires(215/70-14) and i got them siped for better traction. i have put about 7k on them and the rear tires are just about to the wear bars. the front tires are just fine. i dont spin the tires very often. i know its about time to get them rotated. i know i bought the cheapo tires but there arent any real good choices in a 14. one of my buddies told me they wore out so fast because they are the wrong load rating. does that effect wear? next time i buy tires what should i get that is ecomical and good in the snow?

thanks, CH
Ever check your tire pressure? Some places think fill the tires to their max. That results in the center part of the tread wearing faster than the rest. You didn't tell us what part is wearing???

Cheapo tires tend to wear quicker than pricier tires. Car tires, such as 14's, wear faster on trucks than cars even with all proper pressures and weights taking into consideration.

Weight rating probably isn't an issue seeing as though 14's are typically light weight tires designed for a compact car.

Options are slim in 14's now a days. Might be worth it to bump to 15's if you intend to keep the truck around.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2012
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
I have 285x75-16 KM2, load rating “E”,
I felt they rode too hard, thinking less air would make them ride better I lowered the pressure from 45 to 30 on the fronts and to 28 on the rear, NOT, didn’t change anything except I got a slapper out of the deal and some scolloping.

Raised the pressure up to 40 psi and got the worse bump steer I have even had in a Ranger.

Load Rating should be adhered to without reservation, stick to what is right for the truck weight.

Tire pressure may or may not cause increase tire wear but it will cause abnormal tire wear and destroy the tire for normal use.

I now run the 40 in the front and 32 in the rear, ride still $ucks, tire wear no comment, bump steer reduced some with 32 psi in the rear.

Next set of tires will be 15” and load rated to a max of “C”… or “108” as some places call out, I learned my lesson, should have listened to comments on Load Range. thought I knew better, lol on me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle, MI
Posts: 39
i run 35 psi on all my tires, and its a pretty even wear pattern. yes a haul stuff occanally ive gotten 4 yards of mulch two yards of top soil and a few trips to scrap yard under my belt this sping.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2012
Redneck Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 249
Well, where is it wearing? Inside edge? Outside edge? Middle? Inform us a little more, please. If it's the inside or outside you'll need to get an alignment, possibly some other parts need some replacement. Inside edge, deflate your tires a little bit. I run 35 in my tires, and the middle tread does wear down. My inside edges also wear down because my front end alignment is horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle, MI
Posts: 39
its wearing normal, i dont need an alinment because my front tires are great. the back tires are worn evenly thoughout the width of the tire.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2012
Redneck Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 249
How often do you rotate them/have them rotated?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2012
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
I'd suggest getting a15" rim and getting truck tires w/a harder compound. There is more options available.

Last edited by morris; 06-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle, MI
Posts: 39
havent gotten them rotated yet, but ive only had them for 7k. i only have a 2.3 so i would like stay with a 26, can i get tires that small for a 15?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-10-2012
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
prolly should rotate them...tires should be rotated every 3-5K
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2012
Redneck Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
prolly should rotate them...tires should be rotated every 3-5K
Or every 2k for an all terrain and 1k for a mud terrain. Just from my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2012
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ranger View Post
Or every 2k for an all terrain and 1k for a mud terrain. Just from my experience.
No, 3k on the low end. More like 5,000.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2012
cdawall's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: EAFB, Sd
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
I have 285x75-16 KM2, load rating “E”,
I felt they rode too hard, thinking less air would make them ride better I lowered the pressure from 45 to 30 on the fronts and to 28 on the rear, NOT, didn’t change anything except I got a slapper out of the deal and some scolloping.

Raised the pressure up to 40 psi and got the worse bump steer I have even had in a Ranger.

Load Rating should be adhered to without reservation, stick to what is right for the truck weight.

Tire pressure may or may not cause increase tire wear but it will cause abnormal tire wear and destroy the tire for normal use.

I now run the 40 in the front and 32 in the rear, ride still $ucks, tire wear no comment, bump steer reduced some with 32 psi in the rear.

Next set of tires will be 15” and load rated to a max of “C”… or “108” as some places call out, I learned my lesson, should have listened to comments on Load Range. thought I knew better, lol on me.
Maybe you just bought stiff tires. You know KM2's are known for being stiff as a whole without factoring load range in. Its part of purchasing a tire designed to withstand rocks it means the sidewalls are thicker and stiffer. Want a soft car like sidewall buy a car tire. The load range c swampers I have ride no different than the load range e's I replaced stiff and truck like. They do however ride a million times harder in load range c than the radial load range d's I used to have. Mount up a set of bias ply load range c's and come back to post about how "terrible" those KM2's are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ranger View Post
Or every 2k for an all terrain and 1k for a mud terrain. Just from my experience.
3-5K is pretty standard regardless of tires. For the OP's cheap P rated tires they would have benifited from 3K rotations seeing how a siped snow tire will be soft as they come.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2012
Redneck Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
No, 3k on the low end. More like 5,000.
My tires wore like **** if I didn't rotate them every grand. Like I said, from personal experience. But I drove mostly highway for school.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7
Are your foot lead?

I know this from my boss who just replace BFG tires on F350. 10K miles later they bald so quick. It turn out he had lead foot.


On other is shock original on rear axle? Broke leaf springs? Is it dog track if you look at your truck down road?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inside wearing of Front tires.. hollisatp General Technical & Electrical 11 08-04-2011 08:13 PM
I want to fast, I want to fast! redrangeradrian 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 50 04-16-2009 04:24 PM
My truck is wearing out, what's my options?? LuckyRanger13 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 7 06-22-2008 03:02 PM
wiered tire wearing... God,Country,FORD Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 18 03-30-2008 06:48 PM
signs of wearing?? Flyinfx4 Drivetrain Tech 8 01-16-2006 07:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.