I have a 2001 XLT 2wd and everything below worked just fine. It is supposed to apply to 01-03 rangers I'm not sure how the earlier and later years are done.
Thanks to Pick N Pull and a cloudy summer day I pulled my truck in the garage and wired the truck up thanks to these write ups:
FIRST I followed this OHC write up http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...ll-247238.html
The few things I did differently were that
1. I grabbed the full harness out of an exploder that included the OHC harness, Auto lamps harness and the two connectors for visors with lights
2. Ran the wiring on the drivers side because you need to get behind the fuse box to wire up the auto lamps and the harness is all taped together
3. I mounted the temp sensor where it originally came off on the exploder right next to the radiator and it seems to read a little to hot so I'm going to soon mount it where it says to in the write up
The only problem I have (not sure if it's a problem or how it is supposed to work) but the OHC turns off when I turn the dome light on by either rolling the switch up or opening the doors
SECOND I followed this Auto Lamps write up
A few tips
1. While at the junkyard be sure to grab a few 5 pin relays from the fuse box under the hood or a ranger or exploder, they work just the same as the 4 pin relays in this write up
2. No need to remove the whole dash just unscrew the fuse box and pull the wires out enough to splice
3. The Black and pink reverse sensing wire isn't a big deal to hook up although I will be hooking mine up next time I have my radio pulled apart
4. Like it says use the bigger gauge wire when there are 2 wires of the same color!!
5. On the brown wire, the one you want to use goes into the headlight switch and is closest to you the other goes into the dimmer switch I believe
6. Tape the 2 relays together!!!! Under the dash there is a wiring harness that goes into the firewall with a handle on is and when the relays are taped together the slide perfectly into the handle so you can mount it there
Good luck to everyone who attempt to do this mod and have the courage to cut into the headliner! If you install the OHC first then the Auto Lamps it seems to be much less work.
If you have any questions feel free to ask I'd love to help and try to find you some answers