About a year ago when I hooked up my hydro-assist it was powered with the stock 4.0 pump which I found to be quite
inadequite. Due to the lack of higher flow from it, the ram hindered the steering responsiveness more than help it. So I removed the ram until I could address the setup again. Recently I had some time and was able to look further into the pump issue. I removed the pump and a/c compressor, along with the bracket that bolts to the head and shipped the pump, pulley, and bracket off to PSC for some fitting.
What Kelvin at PSC came up with was pretty impressive. He retrofitted a CB series pump to the stock bracket. The new pump is of the same basic design as the stock pump, just bigger
! Because of the increased size, it is MUCH
more productive: 1600 PSI and 3.5 GPM (Gallons Per Minute) vs. the stock pump, 1400 PSI and 2.6 GPM, roughy. After installing the new pump, plumbing the system and bleeding it, all I can say it DAMN, the difference is night and day! The steering has not felt this smooth since I had rack-and-pinion. Anyhow, 'nuff of me.. here's a couple pics. Will get more of the complete system installed when possible.
Sorry for the shotty pics, only had my cell phone to use..
^^ Back side of bracket, pump. Notice where the top right edge of the opening of the center portion of the bracket required slight clearancing for the feed line of the pump. The only other difference is the 9pm and 3pm holes on the pump are through-bolts; the only stock bolt used is the top/12pm Noon position.
^^ Front of bracket, pump and pulley.
^^ And the blingin' reservoir..