Last Monday, from 8 in the morning to 1:30 the next morning, me and two of my buddies replaced my front end. Everything we did on one side, we did on the other. Upper control arms, upper and lower ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends, wheel bearing(hub assemblies), rotors, brake pads, and lug nuts. The wheel bearings were from Detroit Axle, the pads and rotors were BrakeBest Select, the shocks were Monroe: Monro-Matic, and everything else was ACDelco. A few notables:
-The lug nuts we needed to replace because the previous ones had caps on them and were a pain in the *** to get off, either the caps broke off or the lugs got stripped. We used a blowtorch for a few of them. It took us an hour to get the front wheels off, fun fun. Then we needed to put the new ones on a lathe to reduce the trim because my wheels have recessed pockets.
-We learned after the first side to keep the old shock attached while replacing the upper control arm so that the lower control arm did not fall away from where we needed it.
-The knuckle was tough to disconnect from the lower ball joint(even after we cut the castle nut and bolt off). We used a wedge an hammer to separate the two pieces.
-One of the shocks was missing some hardware in the packaging, so we used the old pieces. The knucklehead at O'Reilly's gave me a hard time to get the missing parts. He stated that he couldn't give me them from another package because then they would be missing for the next guy to buy the shock...let that sink in. I finally got them and will replace them tomorrow.
If anyone has any questions about the parts or processes or anything, just reply or PM me.