26.8 Mpg....!!! - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 10-12-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
Quote:
FireRanger The amount of money you are spending on all this special crap is going to far exceed what you save on milage increases. If you need to use premium gas to fix a ping, that is i like putting earplugs in so you don't hear it. It isn't fixing the problem, it is just making it cost more.
I can get 16 gal in it by topping the tank off.. Sure i might be wasteing my money but i like the way it runs how i got it setup .. I meen i dont see how u can figure the milage wrong.. I filled up when it was emphty. held like 16.5 gallons. Went from tennesee to alabama then drove around town some. Went back to tennesee it had went 430 miles on that one tank. Filled it back up as soon as i got back and it held not quite 16 gallons. I dont see where u can go wrong. 430 divided by 16 is what.. ?? 26.875... I could probley run regular without ping now since iv changed plugs,wires,seafoamed,Switched to mobil 1. But i think premium is a cleaner fuel. that regular is junk. On a fill up it only cost me like 3 dollars more to use premium so hell why not... ??
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-13-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
No, it isn't. You are being had by the flashy marketing. They use words like SUPER and PREMIUM to entice people that don't know any better to buy it thinking it does something better for their car. In reality, the only difference is the octane rating and nothing more. Octane RESISTS combusion and is for higher compression engines that suffer from pre-detonation of regular octane gas. The higher octane resists the pre-detonation and therefore works better. Our engines are DESIGNED for 87 octane. Putting anything else in a stock engine that is running properly is BAD for the engine. You are making it WORSE and it will only INCREASE the carbon and other junk in the cylinders. It is going to fire late and incompletely.

If your engine is pinging and high octane gas makes it go away, then you need to have the pinging fixed, not put higher octane gas in it. It will just keep getting worse by doing that and it is only a temporary mask.

The air filter and whatever that engine treatment stuff you said was are not doing anything noticable. The only thing that let you get that kind of milage was driving 60mph the whole way. Period. So, if you want to sound smart and show that you've accomplished something, stop bragging about wasting money on marketing BS.

As far as the math goes, it doesn't matter what size the tank is. You divide MILES DRIVEN since filling up by gallons pumped to fill up again. Forget how big the tank is.

Oh, and by the way. If you are putting 16+ gallons into a 16 gallon tank, you should probably replace your fuel filter since you are constantly sucking junk up by running the tank down to nothing. I'd suggest not doing that in the winter either.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-13-2006
IBLKOUT2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
No, it isn't. You are being had by the flashy marketing. They use words like SUPER and PREMIUM to entice people that don't know any better to buy it thinking it does something better for their car. In reality, the only difference is the octane rating and nothing more. Octane RESISTS combusion and is for higher compression engines that suffer from pre-detonation of regular octane gas. The higher octane resists the pre-detonation and therefore works better. Our engines are DESIGNED for 87 octane. Putting anything else in a stock engine that is running properly is BAD for the engine. You are making it WORSE and it will only INCREASE the carbon and other junk in the cylinders. It is going to fire late and incompletely.

If your engine is pinging and high octane gas makes it go away, then you need to have the pinging fixed, not put higher octane gas in it. It will just keep getting worse by doing that and it is only a temporary mask.

The air filter and whatever that engine treatment stuff you said was are not doing anything noticable. The only thing that let you get that kind of milage was driving 60mph the whole way. Period. So, if you want to sound smart and show that you've accomplished something, stop bragging about wasting money on marketing BS.

As far as the math goes, it doesn't matter what size the tank is. You divide MILES DRIVEN since filling up by gallons pumped to fill up again. Forget how big the tank is.

Oh, and by the way. If you are putting 16+ gallons into a 16 gallon tank, you should probably replace your fuel filter since you are constantly sucking junk up by running the tank down to nothing. I'd suggest not doing that in the winter either.
So your telling me when I got a car that requires 91 octane or higher they are just lying to me? And when my car don't run right cause I negelected to use the right gas I can blame someone else? Because I'm tired of putting 93 octane in my VW VR6...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-13-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Perhaps if you read the sentance after the one you highlighted, you could then remove your foot from your mouth. You know, the part about certain engines requiring it by design and the ranger not being one of them? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-13-2006
UNCCRang49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210
heck with no driveshaft i would get 28mpg too!
driveshaft off = balance wise. after breaking a yoke and having a new one welded on, ya meaning not factory balanced anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-14-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
Just going 60 isnt going to do it.. iv been makeing that same trip for 3 years now.. ANd till after i done this stuff i started getting such good milage.. i dont know what it is doing it but something is. I might try useing regular sometime i just think its a cleaner fuel. We ran some seafoam in my truck the other day hardly smoked at all.. Then ran it in my cousins honda accord that runs regular and it just boiled smoke everywhere for like 10 minutes. Its got like 80 thousand miles to my 140 thousand.. And yea iv put 16 gallons in it before. Who hasnt ran there tank low i meen come on...When i got that milage i filled it up. drove home and around town some. Then filled it up again looked how many gallons it took. Then divided that by how many miles i drove. Yea maybe the additive thing isnt doing ****.. Oh well. I think the cats comeing off helped the most considering my old cats were stopped up smelling like eggs..

Last edited by markw_06; 10-14-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-14-2006
IBLKOUT2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
Perhaps if you read the sentance after the one you highlighted, you could then remove your foot from your mouth. You know, the part about certain engines requiring it by design and the ranger not being one of them? Thanks.
Yea about that sorry but maybe I missed something. I was running late when I made the post and might not of highlighted everything.

And FWIW I've been looking online and I've found different sites that say follow the car mfg recommends, but it don't say that using a lesser grade will hurt your car. Is says if you notice a difference then just step the grade up until you reach the highest grade possible and don't notice any problems. Of course if your at 93 octane and have problems then you have problems and should get your automobile checked out by a mech.

By no means am I saying that I'm right or wrong, I'm just going off what I've managed to find online and thru different people whom I know working in related fields.

v/r
Brian

Last edited by IBLKOUT2; 10-14-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-14-2006
RicksTJR's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dyersburg, TN
Posts: 524
I have been keeping logs on my ranger for the past year and when I run premium I have averaged out 3-4 mpg better so yes it does help. I dont know about it being bad on the engine but when I run regular gas from any station my check engine light comes on but if I run premiun from anywhere it doesnt. And I had that checked at the dealership and they said they dont know why it keeps coming on.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-14-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLKOUT2
Yea about that sorry but maybe I missed something. I was running late when I made the post and might not of highlighted everything.

And FWIW I've been looking online and I've found different sites that say follow the car mfg recommends, but it don't say that using a lesser grade will hurt your car. Is says if you notice a difference then just step the grade up until you reach the highest grade possible and don't notice any problems. Of course if your at 93 octane and have problems then you have problems and should get your automobile checked out by a mech.

By no means am I saying that I'm right or wrong, I'm just going off what I've managed to find online and thru different people whom I know working in related fields.

v/r
Brian
No prob.

Thing is (for any vehicle), the engine will be designed to operate best are a certain octane fuel. Most normal vehicles use 87. If your vehicle is running better with a higher octane fuel, then something is not working properly in your engine. If you put a lower than spec octane fuel in your truck, you are setting it up for pre-ignition and is also not good. Most places don't sell anything less than 87 anyway. You are better off fixing the problem and using the proper gas than masking it with something else. In the long run, you will get better milage that way.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-14-2006
florida ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Acres
Posts: 73
My fuel gauge is now working quite right so I drive by my tripometer, and my last fill-up on a v6 with a 19 gal fuel cell:

$23.65 paid
9.617 gallons
$2.32 fuel
182 miles
=
20.08 mpg

I have been watching this for a couple of weeks

BTW Nate If I shift into second gear with an automatic trans I get a wicked shimmy too.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-14-2006
hougy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cobb, GA
Posts: 206
Pinging can be stopped by going to 89 Octane, anything above 89 is useless. This has been discussed millions of times on RPS. Other alternatives to stop pinging is doing the hot water bypass for those who can do it, and also Bamachip if I remember correctly. I got roughly 450 miles on a tank on my truck going to Texas a few years back, so it is possible for a v6 to get that mileage. The Tonneau cover does very little, but I don't have mine for the mileage. Its so your daughter can jump in the truck bed and me drive by your house, you won't see a dayum thing! haha!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-14-2006
SanityAside's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,199
dang i keep like 35 in my truck
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-15-2006
IBLKOUT2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 118
Here is a site from the State of Minnesota it was provided to me from a member on G-E HERE It sheds some light about octane facts and myth's.

V/r
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-15-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
All i know is 93 makes my truck run better.. Why change something thats good.. which really isnt costing me that much more.. if 87 is 2.10 and 93 is 2.30.. .20 cents times 16 is only $3.20 I meen hell whats 3 dollars extra every fill up.. I think premium is just a cleaner burning fuel... Ill spend 3 extra dollars anyday..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-16-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Must be nice to have so much extra cash that you can just burn it. If you are going to continue to insist that it has anything to do with "clean" despite the facts in front of you, it is your loss. Wanna send me $3 a week as well?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-16-2006
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
i get 13mpg... sweet
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-16-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
Who cant spare 3 dollars a week i meen come on... And upgrades do i have that wasted my money.. I meen the air filter was 40 bucks thats bout all i really have in it.. besides useing mobil 1 oil.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-16-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Ok. So send some to me also. I can use it. You don't seem to mind the illogical and obviously incorrect reasoning to dump in your gas tank so sending it to me for no reason shouldn't be an issue either.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-17-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
well if putting premium in a truck thats pinging fixes it.. When u fix the pinging noise than continue to add premiuim it has to make some kind of difference if it can fix a ping.. I put some regular in it today and yea it ran fine.. Maybe im just stupid for putting premium in.. Ill keep spending my 3 bucks though.. fine with me...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-17-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
I'll try this a little more directly...

YOU AREN'T FIXING ANYTHING. You are masking the problem by throwing money at it every week and probably making it worse in the long run. Engines don't ping by design. They they ping because something isn't right. Putting different gas in it just makes the problem silent. It is still a problem. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you are gaining, fixing, or improving by putting high octane fuel in your truck. The only thing you are doing is proving to the fuel companies that there are gulible people out there to keep buying it for no reason.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-18-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
Iv been running regular the last 2 days now.. and yea its running fine no pings since i put some sea foam in it last week.. Ill probley still run premium in it although its running fine with regular..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-18-2006
Mark98xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parma Ohio
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaster1952
3.0?
4.0?
2.9?
2.8?

lol its in the 3.0 forum, take a wild guess.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-19-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: towanda, pa
Posts: 5
the best i have gotten with my 3.0 is 21 and that was doing 70 or 75. i have a kn airfilter and that jus help air get through quicker. i have a whole exhaust and that just makes in noisier.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-19-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
Yea i usually get around 21 myself.. If i baby the hell outta it and go 60 the whole way i get like 26 or 27 on a good day..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perry, Florida
Posts: 20
[QUOTE]Why are you using premium gas???

Premium gas has a higher octane which in turn does not burn as quicker as regular gas does, so by using premium gas it will last longer allowing you better gas mileage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to achieve better mpg? FX2.3 General Ford Ranger Discussion 34 11-02-2010 07:13 PM
Exahust leak / old 02 sensor = bad mpg wydopnthrtl General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 01-06-2009 10:11 AM
98 3.0 MPG Log (shows how mods affected MPG) Marcaronio 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 23 05-11-2007 09:11 PM
How many MPG with 4.0 99 jtslmn720 General Ford Ranger Discussion 31 04-28-2005 09:44 AM
MPG seem to be shrinking, need help Strider0O0 General Technical & Electrical 23 04-05-2005 03:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.