3.0 flex fuel to reg 3.0 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-19-2008
2003stealthedge's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The ILL State
Posts: 1,297
3.0 flex fuel to reg 3.0

my dads swapping the engine out of the ranger we found a used 3.0 non flex fuel engine for 450 at a local junk yard. Now will we need a new computer or will we be fine just to swap it as is
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2008
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
my guess would be it should be aight ... i wonder if the computer is the whole reason they can run e85 ....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2008
0RangerEdge2's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,593
It's more than just a computer. E85 requires higher flow injectors and different gas lines to name a few. The truck would probably run, but there might be an issue with the injectors not being able to keep up with the computers demands.

Rwenzing should be able to elaborate on this topic.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Use the injectors off the old motor if there is a problem but I doubt there will be. The only other difference is in the truck's fuel lines. The flex fuel truck have all metal lines.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
There is also a E85 sensor in the fuel line.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
IIRC On the older 3.0L Flex Fuels there was a sensor, but it was all computer controlled after 2000.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2008
Hot Wheels's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maple Plain, MN
Posts: 211
If you have injector issues, just put in the 4.0 injectors. That is all the 3.0 FFV are , but shhh, it's a secret. lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
IIRC On the older 3.0L Flex Fuels there was a sensor, but it was all computer controlled after 2000.
I believe All FFV's have E85 sensors.......

Last edited by Takeda; 08-20-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
A few months after I bought my truck, I got a CEL for the "Flex Fuel Sensor", at 40k miles. I did some research at that time and I was told Ford had done away with that sensor after 2000 due to the problems like I had; deeming it all controlled within the PCM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
A few months after I bought my truck, I got a CEL for the "Flex Fuel Sensor", at 40k miles. I did some research at that time and I was told Ford had done away with that sensor after 2000 due to the problems like I had; deeming it all controlled within the PCM.
I received this from Ford, looks like all Flex Fuel Rangers have E85 sensors:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company regarding the Flex Fuel Ford Ranger. As per your request, please see the information below.

Our records indicate that Ford Motor Company manufactured the Flex Fuel Ford Ranger during the years of 1999-2003. The 1999 and 2000 Flex Fuel Ford Ranger was manufactured with an E-85 Sensor called the Flex Fuel Vaporized Sensor, the 2001 to 2003 models were manufactured with an Oxygenated Sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
I received this from Ford, looks like all Flex Fuel Rangers have E85 sensors:

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company regarding the Flex Fuel Ford Ranger. As per your request, please see the information below.

Our records indicate that Ford Motor Company manufactured the Flex Fuel Ford Ranger during the years of 1999-2003. The 1999 and 2000 Flex Fuel Ford Ranger was manufactured with an E-85 Sensor called the Flex Fuel Vaporized Sensor, the 2001 to 2003 models were manufactured with an Oxygenated Sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
There is also a E85 sensor in the fuel line.
You said "E85 Sensor" originally, and I recall saying they did not use them after the MY2000. So did Ford also "tell" you about this Oxygenated sensor..?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-25-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
You said "E85 Sensor" originally, and I recall saying they did not use them after the MY2000. So did Ford also "tell" you about this Oxygenated sensor..?
Yup, Vaporized Sensor, and Oxygenated Sensor are both E85 sensors!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-25-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
What I am getting means that the computer calibrates the E85 content using the O2 sensors, or "Oxygenated Sensors".

Read how chevy does it, and i'm sure ford has followed suit for the 2001+ FFV Ranger:

"Ethanol has less energy per kilogram than gasoline and produces more oxygen in the cylinders as it burns, which means vehicles would have to be recalibrated to operate on E85."

"These vehicles used a fuel sensor in the fuel line that signalled the computer how much ethanol was present in the fuel; the computer would add or subtract the amount of additional fuel required. Now, the Impala flex fuel system can perform this analysis without using any additional sensors.

GM has developed a Virtual Flex Fuel Sensor (V-FFS) software program that calculates the ethanol content in the fuel, instead of using a sensor to measure it. When the fuel level in the tank increases as the vehicle is refueled, the computer recalculates the percentage of ethanol in the fuel and automatically changes the air/fuel ratio. To do this, the computer temporarily stops the operation of other emission systems and monitors the oxygen sensors to determine ethanol content."

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/060322.htm
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Yup, Vaporized Sensor, and Oxygenated Sensor are both E85 sensors!
Yeah, OK. Go ahead and ask for an "Oxygenated E85 Sensor" the next time you need new O2 sensors, see how many odd looks you get.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-25-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
Yeah, OK. Go ahead and ask for an "Oxygenated E85 Sensor" the next time you need new O2 sensors, see how many odd looks you get.
WRONG, Oxygenated sensor and O2 sensors are 2 different things!

Nothing was mentioned about being PCM controlled like you mentioned!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-25-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
READ the links buddy. :)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-25-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
READ the links buddy. :)
I have to say I was wrong, because I can't find any other sensors
other than the O2 sensors on a 2001 FFV ranger on a ford parts website!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Swap from Flex Fuel 3.0 to Non Flex Fuel Motor? mp5raycer General Technical & Electrical 1 09-21-2014 12:09 AM
1999 Ranger, 3.0 L - Will regular fuel pump work (have flex fuel) jakD General Technical & Electrical 3 10-15-2010 12:23 PM
Replacing a flex fuel engine with non flex fuel 2003stealthedge 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 3 03-23-2009 01:20 PM
Flex fuel to standard fuel conversion Arkansas Dave 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 5 09-19-2006 08:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.