Bigger Filter=Better Volume - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 12-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 2,664
or a wastegate? just what lb of boost are you running?
basically this is an orange well designed Tornado.

a turbo setup doesnt necessarily need a bov or etc, but it aids turbo life and faster spool time. imagine ure on the gas hard, then let off, the boosted air is still trying to go in the throttle body. w/o a bov, the air will be forced backward into the turbo turbines, causeing it to spin in reverse, and over time, hurting it. a bov forces the air to the atmosphere once the throttle plate is closed.

without any of these key parts, there is no boost made.

/thread
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-25-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippnOver
or a wastegate? just what lb of boost are you running?
basically this is an orange well designed Tornado.

a turbo setup doesnt necessarily need a bov or etc, but it aids turbo life and faster spool time. imagine ure on the gas hard, then let off, the boosted air is still trying to go in the throttle body. w/o a bov, the air will be forced backward into the turbo turbines, causeing it to spin in reverse, and over time, hurting it. a bov forces the air to the atmosphere once the throttle plate is closed.

without any of these key parts, there is no boost made.

/thread
I dont have a BOV, there is no need. Its belt driven so no way to spin it backwards. More like a Supercharger setup, Tornado??? LOL
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-25-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 2,664
i mean, the superchip and etc are all good power adders and etc...but the setup is just a lot of unneccessary...

the whole point of a turbo is to force more air in the engine...air powered by the exhaust...and then to have a way to add more fuel to the mix....seems like one of those electric superchargers...its not that they DONT work, but that they dont work the way theyre supposed to (but hey, they're like $30 anyway)

ure not putting anymore air in the engine than it would get in the first place. its just got a spinning fan in the intake.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 248
dude its exactly like a supercharger...just using a turbo. and its freaking awesome. i would like to see some power numbers though.

one question though, if you have the skills to make this why not just run a turbo the usual way?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-25-2007
mj550's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 601
It's a lot like a vortech style supercharger, I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing.

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 2,664
but vortechs even come with fuel management, be it a piggyback or standalone...especially on these MAF truck setups, how exactly is it running? the ecu reads throttle position vs. intake speed... like how the engine stutters when the maf is dirty..the throttle is saying 75% open, the maf is saying 52%....or etc... but the throttle should say 80% open, but the maf saying 120%....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-26-2007
mj550's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 601
It looks like he is running 24lb injectors, and maybe has a speical tune for it? I was kind of wondering about the tune part of it myself. If he gets the videos, we should see how "it's running". I got faith
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-26-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippnOver
i mean, the superchip and etc are all good power adders and etc...but the setup is just a lot of unneccessary...



ure not putting anymore air in the engine than it would get in the first place. its just got a spinning fan in the intake.
How do you figure??? I'm building 7lbs of boost. Have you read this thread? Yes it is the same as running a Vortech, Procharger.......Boost is Boost.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-26-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippnOver
but vortechs even come with fuel management, be it a piggyback or standalone...especially on these MAF truck setups, how exactly is it running? the ecu reads throttle position vs. intake speed... like how the engine stutters when the maf is dirty..the throttle is saying 75% open, the maf is saying 52%....or etc... but the throttle should say 80% open, but the maf saying 120%....

Do you tune vehicles? If not, you need to give it up! You are way off in all of your comments. This is going to produce boost!!! It cant spin backwards b/c its belt driven and with a cogged belt at that! Geez...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-26-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatman
How do you figure??? I'm building 7lbs of boost. Have you read this thread? Yes it is the same as running a Vortech, Procharger.......Boost is Boost.

You really do need to run some type of bypass on your pressure side. I have seen chargers come apart from boost being forced back into them.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-26-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
You really do need to run some type of bypass on your pressure side. I have seen chargers come apart from boost being forced back into them.
I can't disagree with that. On Ebay as i type..:)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-26-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatman
so you said the pulley goes in where the exhaust side used to be..whats the black piece in front of the turbo then?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-26-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroctober16
so you said the pulley goes in where the exhaust side used to be..whats the black piece in front of the turbo then?
The Snell...........
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-26-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 248
ahh ok i think i finally figured it out...wanna do that to my 3.0????!?!?!? lol
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-26-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroctober16
ahh ok i think i finally figured it out...wanna do that to my 3.0????!?!?!? lol
LOL Sure, got about 2700 to spend??
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
Do you tune vehicles? If not, you need to give it up! You are way off in all of your comments. This is going to produce boost!!! It cant spin backwards b/c its belt driven and with a cogged belt at that! Geez...

yah, my numbers are off, but i wasnt going for accuracy, just an example.

i still do not understand...wheres the fuel? these ecu engines are different than carb'd engines...in earlier days u could put a charger on and a biger carb, the vaccuum pressure would even everything out...but with fuel injection and etc, its all timed...so even with more air being added, the ecu shouldnt realize this without some kind of management

why stop at 7 lbs....go 14!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
You really do need to run some type of bypass on your pressure side. I have seen chargers come apart from boost being forced back into them.
That and he would need to run a bypass valve because he is running the mass-air as a draw-thru.

I don't think anything less than 14-15 would kill a head unit.

I have seen plenty of a/s-trims running 10-12lbs without serious fatigue from not having a BOV (with a blow-thru meter) or a bypass (draw-thru)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-27-2007
Wheatman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dalton Ga.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippnOver
yah, my numbers are off, but i wasnt going for accuracy, just an example.

i still do not understand...wheres the fuel? these ecu engines are different than carb'd engines...in earlier days u could put a charger on and a biger carb, the vaccuum pressure would even everything out...but with fuel injection and etc, its all timed...so even with more air being added, the ecu shouldnt realize this without some kind of management

why stop at 7 lbs....go 14!
I have a custum Tuned Superchip......
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SO bigger really IS better? f250 pics inside OVERtheEDGE Suspension Tech 102 02-17-2010 01:29 PM
Stock head unit, volume will go up/down when high Goodysgotacuda Audio & Video Tech 14 12-18-2008 03:40 PM
speed volume control 1stfordedge General Technical & Electrical 16 08-07-2005 08:18 PM
CD6 Speed Sensitive Volume 0RangerEdge2 Audio & Video Tech 6 07-13-2005 07:00 PM
Using Cruise Control buttons to control the Volume GVSU Godfather Audio & Video Tech 23 05-29-2005 07:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.