exhuast ...need help please - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-20-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
exhuast ...need help please

here is the question...

i have jba headers and exhuast on my truck. in between them are catalytic converters...obviously. I'm pretty much satisfied with the set up as in, but im looking for as much power as i can get, so im taking it in to a shop to have custom y-pipe and straight pipe all the way to the jba muffler. This would eliminate the converters, however....this is also where O2 sensers are located. So can the o2 sensers be placed into these straight pipes and still work, or can they be eliminated all together without me having the "check engine" light always on.

side note, im keeping the stock pipes and converters for any future emission tests
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty
here is the question...

i have jba headers and exhuast on my truck. in between them are catalytic converters...obviously. I'm pretty much satisfied with the set up as in, but im looking for as much power as i can get, so im taking it in to a shop to have custom y-pipe and straight pipe all the way to the jba muffler. This would eliminate the converters, however....this is also where O2 sensers are located. So can the o2 sensers be placed into these straight pipes and still work, or can they be eliminated all together without me having the "check engine" light always on.

side note, im keeping the stock pipes and converters for any future emission tests
You need the front two to control the air/fuel mixture. Without them, your fuel economy will go way down.

There are one or two sensors after the cats depending on what year you have. If you eliminate them and/or the cats, you will have a CEL all the time.

Eliminating the cats will gain you very little or no power.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
You need the front two to control the air/fuel mixture. Without them, your fuel economy will go way down.

There are one or two sensors after the cats depending on what year you have. If you eliminate them and/or the cats, you will have a CEL all the time.

Eliminating the cats will gain you very little or no power.
its a 2001

i dont really care about power, but i do think this would make it louder...am i wrong? header to pipes to muffler to outisde...should sound pretty mean.:)

ok so i will keep the 02 sensors in this custom exhuast, but will they be affected from it being straight pipes without cats?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
maybe i should ask this question....has anyone ever tried this???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Yes, it will make it louder but so would running a different muffler or no muffler.

The O2 sensors would still work in a catless system but you would get a CEL when the cat monitor test fails.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Yes, it will make it louder but so would running a different muffler or no muffler.

The O2 sensors would still work in a catless system but you would get a CEL when the cat monitor test fails.
what about 02 sensor eliminators/simulators, ive heard of these being used before, does anyone know where i could find some?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty
what about 02 sensor eliminators/simulators, ive heard of these being used before, does anyone know where i could find some?
Summit sells them. So do other accessory companies.

Nothing personal but it's hard to see what you would gain from all of this except a lighter wallet and a noncompliant (emissions) vehicle. If noise is the goal, the more direct and less expensive method would be a different muffler behind the cats or no muffler at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ft Hood, TX
Posts: 1,779
if you want a louder sound go with flowmaster 40 single in dual out 2.25" pipe. they sound like a mean v8. cutting the cats wouldnt be a good idea for emmisions reasons IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4RangerMan
if you want a louder sound go with flowmaster 40 single in dual out 2.25" pipe. they sound like a mean v8. cutting the cats wouldnt be a good idea for emmisions reasons IMO.
well i wouldnt be cutting them out, rather having new pipes bent and replacing them all together, i would keep the cats for the day i have to get my emissions tested

idno yet, im still leaning more towards getting a v8, i was just interested in messing with the cats now while they are still on
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2006
05rangeredge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 311
i have a single chamber interco 1in/2out with turndowns and it sounds awsome. when you get into it it is loud but when you just lightleyhit the throtle it isnt very loud at all (good if cops are around) and when it is idling it has a very nice lobe sound to it. almost sounds like a V8. Must muffler shops will charge from $125-$175. a whole lot cheaper!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,101
hey man, have you noticed the trend in this topic?!?!

don't ditch the cats...i can't remember who it was right off of the top of my head, but a guy who used to post on here and G-E did a dyno run with and without cats and he lost power without the cats...like Bob was saying, your o2 sensors control your air/fuel mixture and adjust accordingly as to what it reading in the cat....you will gain NOTHING by removing the cats...

if you want loud, just spend $79 on ebay, from wickednickyexhaust and get a borla ProXS muffler with a 2.25 inlet and a 2.25 outlet, and have it dumped!!! that way, you DON'T get a CEL, you do get good power, torque, and your economy and wallet will thank you!!!

just my .02 though
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
i already have a nice exhuast

im just gonna buy the v8, maybe by august it will be in
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2006
05rangeredge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 311
well y did you start this thread?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2006
Rob99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty
its a 2001

i dont really care about power, but i do think this would make it louder...am i wrong? header to pipes to muffler to outisde...should sound pretty mean.:)

ok so i will keep the 02 sensors in this custom exhuast, but will they be affected from it being straight pipes without cats?

you have the 3.0 and you don't care about power, well what you are thinking of doing will get you that 'less power' listen to the other posts and leave the cats alone your really not accomplishing anything positive by removing them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-22-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05rangeredge
well y did you start this thread?
i wanted to know what everyones opinion was before i messed something up

obviously august is a ways away, and i can mess with my current engine however i want because by august i wont have it anymore
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
what engine do you have? 4.0? 3.0?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
what engine do you have? 4.0? 3.0?
its the wimpy 3.0, ive been quite happy with it until my dad bought his 69 camaro
not that im complaining about the camaro, but it took alot out of the fun of driving my truck...so ive decided to buy a v8, push the firewall back and cram that baby in there...im either going to get the 2003 SVT 4.6 or perhaps a custom built egnine from a local egnine shop in town, same guys who built our camaro
i have a really good job right now, making 15/hr so it wont be too long before i can afford it
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
quick question....is it illegal to drive without a muffler

i live in arizona...does that matter???
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty
quick question....is it illegal to drive without a muffler

i live in arizona...does that matter???
It is illegal almost everywhere but you are more likely to get ticketed in a town or city.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
It is illegal almost everywhere but you are more likely to get ticketed in a town or city.
do you know how often people get ticketed for it??? I still have my jba muffler attached, but the small 1 foot pipe in front of it i turned 180 degree's so that it points below the muffler...sounds awesome, but im a little worried i might get a ticket....that would suck to get a ticket for that

i was just bored today
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-26-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Red bay Al.
Posts: 85
I got my cats cut out cause they was giving off a bad smell like rotten eggs.... It makes the stock exhaust sound like ****.. Didnt lose any power that i can tell and on the highway i can still get like 26 mpg.... Of coarse my check engine light is on which sucks but oh well u get used to it...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Flowmaster Exhuast: Need Opinions Swollseason 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 5 08-15-2010 09:05 PM
Exhuast Please "Monster Truck" 8-Cylinder Tech 11 10-06-2009 11:01 AM
Gettin new Exhuast Check list HighRollerII General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 09-06-2005 12:48 PM
need help.. exhuast... red_fx2 General Ford Ranger Discussion 18 08-08-2005 11:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.