Oil Cooler.... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Oil Cooler....

Hey guys and gals,
I was wondering if someone can give me a link or any advice on choosing an oil cooler for my 6 banger. Summit Racing has been trying to jerk me around saying that their brand is better than B&M's but I aint buying that load of crap. B&M is a pretty good brand for transmissions and tranny coolers but I don't if their oil coolers are any count. Can anyone give me some assistance on this?


Thanks,
Steve.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Oil cooler for the engine or for the transmission? Either way oil coolers are all the same. By the same I mean that there is no difference between a transmission cooler and a engine oil cooler. The size will be different.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Oil cooler for the engine or for the transmission? Either way oil coolers are all the same. By the same I mean that there is no difference between a transmission cooler and a engine oil cooler. The size will be different.
Thanks man. That helped out some. Do you have a part number for an oil cooler? I'd also like to get an additional electric fan but for now I'll settle for an oil cooler.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Thanks man. That helped out some. Do you have a part number for an oil cooler? I'd also like to get an additional electric fan but for now I'll settle for an oil cooler.
Are you looking for an engine oil cooler or a transmission cooler?

I don't have one off the top of my head. There are some coolers that come with fans on them already.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Are you looking for an engine oil cooler or a transmission cooler?

I don't have one off the top of my head. There are some coolers that come with fans on them already.
An internal oil cooler is what I'm looking for. I was wanting a better fan that replaces the stock one that directly bolts in and uses the stock thermostat settings.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
So transmission cooler. I have heard that its better to run a new cooler along with the stock one. If you stop using the stock one then you have to get a large cooler to compensate for the loss of the stock one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
So transmission cooler. I have heard that its better to run a new cooler along with the stock one. If you stop using the stock one then you have to get a large cooler to compensate for the loss of the stock one.
No,the oil cooler. I was talking about the radiator fan. Sorry about that. I should've specified a little more. I was wanting to install an internal engine oil cooler and a better radiator fan. My apologies about that man.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
What do you mean by internal oil cooler? These truck don't have a engine oil cooler at all.

I have thought about doing this before and I was told that I would be wasting my money. I still think it's a good idea though. Toyota does it on their trucks. My RX7 had one as well but that was because the oil is also used for cooling in Rotary engines.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
What do you mean by internal oil cooler? These truck don't have a engine oil cooler at all.

I have thought about doing this before and I was told that I would be wasting my money. I still think it's a good idea though. Toyota does it on their trucks. My RX7 had one as well but that was because the oil is also used for cooling in Rotary engines.
I know it doesn't have an internal oil cooler but I want to remedy this situation. What kind should I get is what I'm asking?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
I know it doesn't have an internal oil cooler but I want to remedy this situation. What kind should I get is what I'm asking?
Both B&M and Summit are good brands. Get the one that has a better price. It's hard to make one cooler better than the other because you can't really change much. One might have more rows in it but that's it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-21-2008
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
Size is mainly what matters. The larger the cooler and the greater the amount of rows can increase how much the oil is cooled when it passes through. IMO an extra fan for the cooler really isn't necessary. I have used summits coolers in the past and had good luck with them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
Size is mainly what matters. The larger the cooler and the greater the amount of rows can increase how much the oil is cooled when it passes through. IMO an extra fan for the cooler really isn't necessary. I have used summits coolers in the past and had good luck with them.
Thanks guys. That's all I needed t know. The Radiator fan can wait. I'll deal with that later. Plus I may just get a new radiator and fan assembly all together. Haven't really decided yet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2008
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
Any reason for all the cooling upgrades (fan and radiator)?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
Any reason for all the cooling upgrades (fan and radiator)?
Not in paticular. Just want to run my truck at kooler temps. ever since I put that K&N O.E.M direct replacement filter in my Temp guage reads a little higher than normal. Instead of a 1/4 of the way on the water temp it's reading 1/2. I do need to flush the radiator too. That maybe why it's reading a little high.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
You know that the water temp gauge is really an idiot light right?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
You know that the water temp gauge is really an idiot light right?
Yes I know. It's not on or anything but while I drive I do pay attention to the guage. All I'm really looking for is a bit more MPG's without having to do any weight reduction. That will be a Pita with this truck. That water temp guage is for retards and idiots that don't know one end of the truck from the other. I just happen to watch it with the other guages while I drive.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-21-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
You know that the water temp gauge is really an idiot light right?

No, the temp sending unit is analog, it's the oil pressure sending unit that's a switch, so the oil pressure gauge is either ZERO, or half-scale.

With regards to the engine oil cooler, tranny & engine oil coolers ARE NOT the same! An engine oil cooler has to withstand much higher pressure than the
tranny oil cooler!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Do you have a 3.0 or 4.0? I think there is a lower temp thermostat for the 3.0. My friend has one on his GTO and it helps a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Do you have a 3.0 or 4.0? I think there is a lower temp thermostat for the 3.0. My friend has one on his GTO and it helps a lot.
3.0 MPFI 183 C.I.D. I thought about doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-21-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
No, the temp sending unit is analog, it's the oil pressure sending unit that's a switch, so the oil pressure gauge is either ZERO, or half-scale.
Eh. I still wouldn't completely rely on it. My scangauge shows me temp in degrees.

Quote:
With regards to the engine oil cooler, tranny & engine oil coolers ARE NOT the same! An engine oil cooler has to withstand much higher pressure than the
tranny oil cooler!
I have seen them sold as just oil coolers and in the description shows engine oil or tranny. I don't know for a fact though.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
I was going to...

Here was my plan. Notice the word "WAS". I was going to do a 5.7 litre Hemi with MDS swap. The call I got yesterday and the quote I got from my salvage yard said no. I couldn't afford to do it. So I am keeping my engine and possibly adding an engine oil kooler and later on a an aluminum radiator with a high performance fan assembly. Also converting it to an in floor automatic trans. I'm still trying to decide on what color to repaint it. That swap was going to be way too much work just to get it in. And I don't even won't to go there as far as wiring is concerned. Too much dough involved to get what's needed. I haven't ruled out a V8 swap though. I thought about using a Chevy 350 motor. Those are cheap and pretty easy to find.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-21-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Oh wow your plans changed again, big suprise. Forced induction is the way you need to go for power on a 3.0, everything else your just beating around the bush. A oil cooler isn't going to do crap
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Oh wow your plans changed again, big suprise. Forced induction is the way you need to go for power on a 3.0, everything else your just beating around the bush. A oil cooler isn't going to do crap
No need to be sarcastic trent. My wallet said no. I aint got the dough to do that swap. You got about $8,000 bucks for a Hemi. They aint cheap pal by any means. I still want to do that swap bad. I can taste it. But without the money you'd just as well forget it. That was a quote for a new one too. The used one ran about 1/2 of that. The turbos that I wanted were about $3,000 bucks and I couldn't afford that either. Damn it I say.

Last edited by knightmare1015; 10-21-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-21-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Well lets go and....

well lets go haul off some crap. and see about some parts. I'll see you guys later. Nothing personal Trent, but it just takes alot of money for these things to happen dude. I just hope that you understand man.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-21-2008
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
IMO there really is no need for the oil cooler at this point, or the aluminum radiator and fan. If the truck is cooling enough now, there really isn't any need. I would look into the colder thermostat though, could net you the lower temps you are looking for, for under 5 dollars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil cooler hanging! n0thing43 General Technical & Electrical 4 08-08-2009 03:29 PM
Radiator fluid cooler?!?!?!?!?!? TippnOver 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 14 01-14-2005 11:38 PM
trans cooler suggestions? blacknight Drivetrain Tech 19 07-05-2004 10:14 PM
What is this cooler? rngprerunner Drivetrain Tech 7 06-04-2004 03:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.