California Emissions? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-31-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
California Emissions?

What is the difference between a California Emissions equipped truck and a standard emissions truck? Mine is a California equipped truck, 2002 Ranger Supercab 4.0LSOHC 5spd.

Thanks....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-31-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
There should be no difference. Check the underhood label and the door jamb label to confirm.

The underhood label gives a worded description of what emission regions the vehicle is certified for.

The cert label on the door jamb has an alphanumeric code in the lower right corner. In the example below (3R32E405), the last number is '5' which means that the truck has a 50-state calibration that applies to the entire US. For your truck, the full code will be different from the example but the final character will tell the emission region(s):

A= US Federal Standard
B= US California (and other so-called 'green' states) Standard
5= 50-state calibration for both Federal and California/green state
Attached Thumbnails
California Emissions?-vehicle-certification-label.jpg   California Emissions?-emission-label-2003-4l.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
OK...someone told me that the California emission equipped would have a more restrictive exhaust system due to larger or a higher number of converters? Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm98 View Post
OK...someone told me that the California emission equipped would have a more restrictive exhaust system due to larger or a higher number of converters? Is there any truth to this?
There is no difference if it checks out as a 50-state calibration - everything would be exactly the same, including the exhaust. Be sure to check the numbers on the label to see if I am correct. I'm going by my 03 which is 50-state.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Don't start chopping off or gutting converters thinking that you might get more power. Don't be cheap. Just get a real exhaust for your truck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Don't start chopping off or gutting converters thinking that you might get more power. Don't be cheap. Just get a real exhaust for your truck.
I'm not asking because I want to gut or cut anything...I'm just trying to clear up whether the converter setup is different or not on a california emissions vehicle. I have bought a magnaflow catback and is on the way.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Ok. The last 40 people that had question about cats wanted to chop them all off thinking they will see massive power gains.

I have the same exhaust on my 03:


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2008
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
There should be no difference. Check the underhood label and the door jamb label to confirm.

The underhood label gives a worded description of what emission regions the vehicle is certified for.

The cert label on the door jamb has an alphanumeric code in the lower right corner. In the example below (3R32E405), the last number is '5' which means that the truck has a 50-state calibration that applies to the entire US. For your truck, the full code will be different from the example but the final character will tell the emission region(s):

A= US Federal Standard
B= US California (and other so-called 'green' states) Standard
5= 50-state calibration for both Federal and California/green state
The cali cars have less horsepower due to a different calibration. Sometimes they have an extra converter or 2, and they may have different o2 sensor setup.

This is information I received from someone that works w/ ford powertrain engineering, so I know it to be correct.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
Now I have one vote no difference and one vote difference. Anyone else want to chime in?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
The cali cars have less horsepower due to a different calibration. Sometimes they have an extra converter or 2, and they may have different o2 sensor setup.

This is information I received from someone that works w/ ford powertrain engineering, so I know it to be correct.
Some vehicles have a different calibration, converters, EGR, etc. for California but some don't.

Often it is less expensive to do a unified calibration and hardware for all emissions regions than it is to build and certify two different configurations. Many vehicles on the road are 50-states certified for this reason.

I'm not saying that his 2002 truck is or is not a 50-state vehicle. I just gave him the info required to figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-31-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
If this was the case then wouldn't the car manufacturers put two separate horsepower ratings for a standard emissions vehicle and a lesser number for the California emission equipped vehicle?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm98 View Post
If this was the case then wouldn't the car manufacturers put two separate horsepower ratings for a standard emissions vehicle and a lesser number for the California emission equipped vehicle?
Sometimes they do publish different numbers for California.

Did you check the number on the door jamb sticker yet?? That will tell you exactly what you have.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Sometimes they do publish different numbers for California.

Did you check the number on the door jamb sticker yet?? That will tell you exactly what you have.
Yes, the code ends in "5"...

I just looked under the truck and it has 4 converters...1 on each side of the y-pipe, and 2 in line just before the intermediate pipe. Are all 4.0 SOHC Rangers set up like this?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm98 View Post
Yes, the code ends in "5"...

I just looked under the truck and it has 4 converters...1 on each side of the y-pipe, and 2 in line just before the intermediate pipe. Are all 4.0 SOHC Rangers set up like this?
So yours is a 50-state calibration - the same in California/green states and in those states covered by Federal EPA standards.

The cat count and layout may vary by year. Like yours, my 03 4.0L had 2 small light off cats in the y-pipe and 2 larger main cats after the wye. 2004 4.0s have 4 cats in the y-pipe, 2 on each side.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-05-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Marstons mills, ma
Posts: 1
my california cat equipped y pipe with two small cats has been replaced with a regular y pipe, no cats. There are 2 cats before the muffler. Will the 50 state calibration automatically kick in ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What about California emissions? OleRed04 General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 09-16-2012 09:03 AM
Lean 1 and 2 reading for emissions fx4wannabe 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 03-27-2010 04:26 PM
emissions readiness test TexasRanger General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 02-26-2009 02:56 PM
Emissions evan.hills 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 32 11-22-2008 06:14 PM
glasspack & emissions LowMaz 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 10 02-06-2007 08:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.