Jeep 4.0 in a ranger. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Jeep 4.0 in a ranger.

Yes, I thought about it.. and I'm starting to really think about it.

It, like the 4.0 OHV is a bulletproof and torqey motor, but the Jeep motor/transmission combo has a ton more aftermarket when it comes to transmissions, adapters and transfer cases..

Who has really looked at how an I6 4.0 mounts up? and how big it is in relation to a ranger motor/trans/t-case. I guess this is where the ranger-gone-jeep-owners will help out..

Lemme know what you think.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2009
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
i think it would be a great idea, like u said the 4.0 I-6 is a bulletproof motor plus a good amount of tq, it'd be cool to see this happen
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2009
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
So first you sas the truck and now you talk about putting a jeep motor in your truck?.....wouldn't it of been cheaper to buy a jeep? lol j/k

Though if your going to go to that much hassle I would just v8 your ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Why not just mount up a Ford trans that has more aftermarket parts? Same as the T-case? Or a 302?

From what I remember on my buddies Cherokee, it is long. Obviously an Inline is going to be longer than a V6.

Honestly I think the only way you are going to find out is if you can go to the wreckers and measure everything up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2009
TheStig88's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,120
hell, keep it ford and put the 300 ci straight 6 in it.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2009
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
300 straight 6 would be badass to.. lol.... might wana check over on jeepsunlimited.com for spec's on the 4.0, good info over there just a bunch of douches..


242cu inch long block
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2009
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
5.0

5.0

5.0

!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2009
robert99ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indiana/Mississippi
Posts: 5,807
Hmm, I dont know man. My buddy has one and it is a kinda long block. If you are going threw that hassle, I would just put a 5.0 in. Do you have any reason why not to?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
So first you sas the truck and now you talk about putting a jeep motor in your truck?.....wouldn't it of been cheaper to buy a jeep? lol j/k

Though if your going to go to that much hassle I would just v8 your ranger.
haha
Jeeps are lame.. I saw a sticker that said, "You bought that? I BUILT this!"

I want that sticker some day, I'm not worthy of it yet being that the truck is still really mild. A v8 would be cool, I'm also tossing around the idea of a carbureted 302 runnin on propane. A Jeep 4.0 just has SOOOOO much aftermarket for it. hell i can get 4:1 in a stock tcase, or just get a rubicon case and bolt it up for 4:1.. I can get a Dana 300 to bolt up to a jeep trans probably and thats a really good case, and not as fawking huge as a 205.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
Honestly I think the only way you are going to find out is if you can go to the wreckers and measure everything up.
I work at a shop that has jeeps coming in all the time, so i could just measure one there.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-10-2009
Woods-Rider's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,108
like has been said, if you are gonna swap motors why not go 302 or 351, hell, 5.4 for that matter lol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I think the engine would be too long for the Ranger's engine bay.

Why 5.0? Everyone does is or wants to do it. I say be different.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert99ranger View Post
Hmm, I dont know man. My buddy has one and it is a kinda long block. If you are going threw that hassle, I would just put a 5.0 in. Do you have any reason why not to?
I love the sound of V8s.. but 302s in rangers are all over the place.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2009
TrucknGolf's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,829
I think you would regret it if you put a jeep 4.0. Atleast a 5.0 and if it was propane it would be even better.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods-Rider View Post
like has been said, if you are gonna swap motors why not go 302 or 351, hell, 5.4 for that matter lol.
a 5.4 is HUGE. Maybe a chevy 5.3, or 6.0. i guess a 6.0 is huge.. but its cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
I think the engine would be too long for the Ranger's engine bay.

Why 5.0? Everyone does is or wants to do it. I say be different.
I could wait till i truggy it so i have no restrictions
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
toyota driveline would be cool, but I hate that there are NO options for a front dig capability on toyota drivelines.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
If I the intent on keeping my truck and making it a offroad rig only I would stick with a 4.0. Toyota 4.0 that is. With 6 the speed.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
if your going carbed put a 351 in that is a much better motor than the 302, not to mention its got alot more power.

I cant figure out why to put in a 302, what is a stock 302 rated? and after the swap are you(or anyone) really going to have the money to beef it up? or before for that matter.

Going a carbed 351 will open many doors, worst problem will be a manual tranny and a manual tcase, but find the right F250 and I think you would be golden. I am sure some f150s had it too. That would be a BW1356M which would then open the doors for a STAK Monster 3 speed case.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
a 5.4 is HUGE. :
it is pretty big, but it will mount between the frame rails. so its possible. worst part is the wiring, i am dreading that already.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
if your going carbed put a 351 in that is a much better motor than the 302, not to mention its got alot more power.

I cant figure out why to put in a 302, what is a stock 302 rated? and after the swap are you(or anyone) really going to have the money to beef it up? or before for that matter.

Going a carbed 351 will open many doors, worst problem will be a manual tranny and a manual tcase, but find the right F250 and I think you would be golden. I am sure some f150s had it too. That would be a BW1356M which would then open the doors for a STAK Monster 3 speed case.
there's a big thread on pirate about how the 3 speed staks like to pop out of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
it is pretty big, but it will mount between the frame rails. so its possible. worst part is the wiring, i am dreading that already.
Hence reasons 1 through 9532325 Why i want a carb'd engine.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-10-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
there's a big thread on pirate about how the 3 speed staks like to pop out of gear



Hence reasons 1 through 9532325 Why i want a carb'd engine.
really, never seen it. all well i cant afford one right now anyway.

thats why Nick is wiring mine. LOL And im still worried about it!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-10-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
couldnt you use an f150 tranny and tcase with a 351 out of a newer bronco that has mas air?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-10-2009
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
even tho is a small toyota motor.. the 22R is a beast....but then again it is a 4cyl....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-10-2009
sullys_ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NewLexington, Ohio
Posts: 3,615
not a bad idea. my buddy put a 300 straight 6 in his 96
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-10-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_fx2 View Post
even tho is a small toyota motor.. the 22R is a beast....but then again it is a 4cyl....
those little 4 bangers still break tons of crap.. it could very well be the 10:1 reduction in the t-case's though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Line X the whole jeep or ranger country346 New Ideas 18 08-08-2007 11:49 PM
2WD Jeep SAS Into a Ranger? 03bamaGT New Ideas 18 07-01-2007 08:54 PM
ranger/jeep "face off" djk00 Fabrication & Tool Tech 17 02-21-2007 02:14 PM
Jeep wheels are they compatible with a Ranger. Fazda Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 16 09-11-2006 10:00 PM
Ranger to Jeep HAZZARDJOHN Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 4 02-11-2006 11:19 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.