pcv location on 4.0L - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochelle, IL
Posts: 7
pcv location on 4.0L

Does anyone know where the PCV valve is located on a 98 Ranger 4.0L?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-17-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
behind the intake manifold right next to the firewall, you can't replace it. if you are getting a check engine light, look for a cracked hose somewhere near the valve cover on the passenger side.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-17-2005
MRC MRC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne,FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickupMan92
behind the intake manifold right next to the firewall, you can't replace it. if you are getting a check engine light, look for a cracked hose somewhere near the valve cover on the passenger side.
That may be the case with the SOHC but not with the OHV which he should have.It is at the rear of your driver side valve cover and is very easy to replace.I just did mine the other day.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-18-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
well I didn't see a signature so I figured.... but yeah MRC has it right on the OHV, I was speaking of the SOHC.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2005
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
how do you know if you need a new one?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2005
MRC MRC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne,FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek
how do you know if you need a new one?
They are cheap enough to replace regularly.I change mine every 10K which is probably 10 times more than it needs to be but for the $3-$4 it is cheap peace of mind.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-18-2005
MRC MRC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne,FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickupMan92
well I didn't see a signature so I figured.... but yeah MRC has it right on the OHV, I was speaking of the SOHC.
Yeah,I figured you were refering to the SOHC but we all cant have one of the fastest stock Rangers out there like you!Damn,I still can't believe how fast yours ran that night at the track.I wish I had room and $$$ for another truck because I would buy yours and suprise some people with it.Throw in some 410's with traction lock and drag radials and you would have a 14 second truck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2005
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
I want my OHV to be fast.....:)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2005
MRC MRC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne,FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek
I want my OHV to be fast.....:)
Just replace it with a SOHC and it will be fast.I have had mine for 160,000 miles so I have had alot of time to anylize the power of the 4.0 OHV.It isn't so good.I does have good torque though.I regularly pull a nearly 5000lb car/trailer combo with little drama.But fast it is not.The best MPH mine has ever run in the 1/4 mile is 81mph where Q's SOHC ran 89mph.That is a huge difference.There is potential with the OHV with ported heads and bigger cam and such but it would end up being about the same as a stock SOHC.I am considering swapping to a SOHC once my original motor gives up the ghost.Not showing any signs of that at 160K.Still running strong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
15.41 is my best time.... that's with an open diff, stock tires and 3.55 rear gear
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-18-2005
Mudhippy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC
Just replace it with a SOHC and it will be fast.I have had mine for 160,000 miles so I have had alot of time to anylize the power of the 4.0 OHV.It isn't so good.I does have good torque though.I regularly pull a nearly 5000lb car/trailer combo with little drama.But fast it is not.The best MPH mine has ever run in the 1/4 mile is 81mph where Q's SOHC ran 89mph.That is a huge difference.There is potential with the OHV with ported heads and bigger cam and such but it would end up being about the same as a stock SOHC.I am considering swapping to a SOHC once my original motor gives up the ghost.Not showing any signs of that at 160K.Still running strong.

built ford tuff
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2005
MRC MRC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne,FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickupMan92
15.41 is my best time.... that's with an open diff, stock tires and 3.55 rear gear
The 89mph was the impressive part.That is about on par with a 1996-1998 Mustang GT 4.6 with an auto.My 1996 Thunderbird with a 4.6 ran 15.59 @89mph just for comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
so you trying to say you wanna race one night Marc? LOL let's wait till it gets cooler please, my 4.0 sucks when it's hot out, you know that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2005
MRC MRC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne,FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickupMan92
so you trying to say you wanna race one night Marc? LOL let's wait till it gets cooler please, my 4.0 sucks when it's hot out, you know that.
Sure,we can race.Like I have said before,I will race anything.Once when a friend rented the track for the day he ran his kid's goped down the track.It ran 53 seconds at a stagering 18mph! I always think it is fun to race another vehicle that runs about the same as yours,just makes it fun.I think the Tbird and your truck would be a close race.I also need to race Wowak with the Ranger.We have both ran 16.9 recently so that would be a good race also.Just to keep it on topic,maybe my new PCV valve will make it faster!JK!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-20-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 1,601
I know the pcv valve will allow it to breathe better and also idle better, I'm sure it would help... but again I won't be chaing the pcv on mine anytime soon LOL.

yeah let me know what day y'all are thinkin of going and we all should go, should be good times. lets wait till it gets much colder *muwahaha :-)*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exact location of PCV valve on 2002 Ranger Edge 3.0 Prerunner-Ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 03-10-2009 09:23 PM
Exact location of the PCV valve? Jimmeh 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 2 04-13-2008 09:31 AM
Not cool! PCV valve location... pacodiablo SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 8 03-20-2008 05:10 PM
PCV Valve Location NB1717 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 08-05-2007 10:18 AM
PCV valve location ? stockranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 05-11-2007 10:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.