pinging on 87 octane - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-17-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
pinging on 87 octane

Will not ping on 93 no check engine light, no codes and I hear knock sensor difficult to get to on 2002 4.0 since , please help, thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-17-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
If you are not getting any EGR codes then yes, you may need to replace knock sensor, which is under the upper intake and can be a PITA to replace.

EGR system adds exhaust gases to intake when engine is under load, this cools the cylinders which reduces NOx emissions but also reduces pinging because of the lower cylinder temperature.

Octane is a heat rating, 87 octane will self ignite at a lower temp than 89 octane, which will self ignite at a lower temp than 91 octane........ect
Pinging is fuel self igniting prior to spark plug firing, the computer can change the spark timing, so if knock sensor is working the ping is detected, before you even hear it, and computer changes spark timing so spark plug ignites the fuel before it can self ignite.
This produces a loss of power

But because you have pinging it means the knock sensor is not working in any case.
You could check the connector, but I would think if it was the problem you would get a code for that.

Last edited by RonD; 10-17-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-17-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
knock

No codes at all truck runs great
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
pinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
If you are not getting any EGR codes then yes, you may need to replace knock sensor, which is under the upper intake and can be a PITA to replace.

EGR system adds exhaust gases to intake when engine is under load, this cools the cylinders which reduces NOx emissions but also reduces pinging because of the lower cylinder temperature.

Octane is a heat rating, 87 octane will self ignite at a lower temp than 89 octane, which will self ignite at a lower temp than 91 octane........ect
Pinging is fuel self igniting prior to spark plug firing, the computer can change the spark timing, so if knock sensor is working the ping is detected, before you even hear it, and computer changes spark timing so spark plug ignites the fuel before it can self ignite.
This produces a loss of power

But because you have pinging it means the knock sensor is not working in any case.
You could check the connector, but I would think if it was the problem you would get a code for that.
Could it be a bad egr valve
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
DPFE sensor would see a bad EGR valve, it measures pressure difference in the exhaust manifold in two places, one near EGR inlet and one farther away.
With EGR valve closed pressure difference would be 0, as computer opens EGR valve the DPFE feedback tells it the pressure difference between the two hoses, this allows computer to open the EGR valve more or less based on engine load.

A clogged or restricted EGR valve would show up on the DPFE sensor as less change in pressure than expected.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
pinging

What is dpfe
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
pinging what is dpfe

Is knock sensor hard to do, I used to be a mechanic 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
DPFE = differential pressure feedback
It is a sensor that reads the pressure difference between two locations in the exhaust manifold.

In this case one location is near the EGR valve, when the EGR valve opens the pressure near it will drop as the intakes vacuum pulls in the exhaust.
Computer uses this pressure difference to calculate the amount of exhaust entering the intake.


Knock sensor info at this link: SOHC V6 knock sensor replacement - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
pinging rond

Only at very light gas ,if I give it a little more it will go away
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
knock sensor

Is there any way to do knock sensor with out removing upper intake
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-21-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1469 View Post
Is there any way to do knock sensor with out removing upper intake
No, unfortunately
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2014
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
What's the pinging sound like?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
pinging on 87

Like too much timing will not do it with 93 and a little octane boost er definitely not timing chains, oil has been done every 3000 since new,had hot rods and I can tell a ping, please help
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
Pinging/knocking is from gasoline self-igniting slightly before spark plug can ignite it.

Octane is a heat rating, lower octane number means lower self-ignition temperature

Compression is heat, under 9.5:1 compression ratio engine will usually run fine on 87 octane
4.0l SOHC runs 9.7:1 so can ping on 87 octane which was why they added the Knock Sensor

So here is the basic issue.
The Knock sensor is there to detect pinging and then retard(or advance depending on your point of view, lol) the spark timing to prevent it, spark ignites fuel before it can self-ignite, no ping.

There may be an underlying issue that can cause the pinging, carbon build up, EGR fault, cooling system problem, and that would be important to find.

But the main issue is that the Knock Sensor or Computer is not correcting for the pinging, so that would be the first issue to address.

A Knock Sensor detects pinging before you can hear it, the symptom with an engine issue if knock sensor is working is loss of power.
The pinging from carbon buildup or EGR issue makes the computer retard spark timing which causes a loss of power, so pinging is never heard, just loss of power.

Your symptom is pinging, so computer or knock sensor problem, because it shouldn't ping
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
rond

It was not doing it for a while after I bought it. What kind of computer problem
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-22-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
The kind that makes the computer ignore knock/ping???
Not trying to be trite but automotive computer technology is a mystery even to the Ford Techs I know(when sober they deny it, but after a few beers the truth comes out, lol)

There is no way to check Ford's EEC computers outside of a live scanner and all that tells you is the parameters the computer is seeing, the knock sensor data should be available, so it would tell you if computer is detecting a knock.
In your case it isn't since you hear the knock, but that won't tell you if it is the sensor that's bad or the computer circuit for that sensor.
My guess would be the sensor
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-22-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
The kind that makes the computer ignore knock/ping???
Not trying to be trite but automotive computer technology is a mystery even to the Ford Techs I know(when sober they deny it, but after a few beers the truth comes out, lol)

There is no way to check Ford's EEC computers outside of a live scanner and all that tells you is the parameters the computer is seeing, the knock sensor data should be available, so it would tell you if computer is detecting a knock.
In your case it isn't since you hear the knock, but that won't tell you if it is the sensor that's bad or the computer circuit for that sensor.
My guess would be the sensor
How is knock sensor data available, I have 2 scanning tools
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
Look for "KS" or PID "16E6"

Live scan(engine running and driving) would be best

Number should change while driving, negative numbers are usual, in this case it means advanced spark, the computer pushes the spark after TDC(advances it) until it gets a ping(knock sensor detects it), then computer retards the spark a bit.
It continues to do this as long as the engine is running, this is how it can get the best power from the octane of the fuel being used.

Similar to how computer and O2 sensors work, computer adds more fuel and less fuel continually to get the best power and MPG based on O2 sensor feedback.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinging on 87 octane scott1469 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 1 10-22-2014 05:50 PM
pinging on 87 octane scott1469 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 1 10-20-2014 01:52 PM
Hensen 92 octane tune is pinging brianjwilson 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 2 10-05-2008 05:58 PM
95 2.3L pinging with 87 octane perryg114 SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 0 04-17-2007 09:11 AM
93 Octane mileage Rddvl23 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 7 08-09-2005 02:42 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.