Sirius Radio Users. What radio? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Audio & Video Tech General discussion of audio and video for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Sirius Radio Users. What radio?

I want Sirius Radio, after my last trip to Michigan bymyself i was bored off my a$$ browsing the radio stations for good music. It sucked.

I want Sirius, not XM so dont even bring it up.

Here is the thing i cant decide on,

Get a sirius radio and hook it up to the Alpine.

or my Alpine can control Sirius Radio on its own, only down side is the reviews on crutchfield, some people say bad reception? poor audio quality? and it only displays the first 16 chracters.

here is a link.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1l3PDCj...607SIRALP1#Tab


id really just like to buy that, but the reviews are swaying me. some people love it, others dont, some people say its the way their system is setup? i think it would look the best and would be the cleanest.


i wanted the S50 but come to find out it isnt live all the time, which sucks.

what do ya think i should do? anyone have experience?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2006
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
i'd get an external display rahter tham control though alpine. I like the full screen names of songs and easier controls i think. Also mine uses a built in fm transmitter and it is definately perfect quality.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2006
Diabolic's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rising Sun, MD
Posts: 1,542
Does that come with an antenna?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2006
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
yes sir
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
ya most all of them do.

i read something that sirius is coming out with a new s50 that will be live, i might just wait for it idk.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
i'd get an external display rahter tham control though alpine. I like the full screen names of songs and easier controls i think. Also mine uses a built in fm transmitter and it is definately perfect quality.

ya but i just dont know if i want the unit hanging on the dash or laying around in the truck and wires everywhere
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
I have that same one you linked just for my pioneer and thats what we were listening too at Marks party. I love it and the sound quality is much better then a wireless FM modulated stand alone unit. I say go with one you can put under the seat and control through your radio.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2006
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Zach i mounted mine to the right of my airbag lock thingie. it looks good and i ran it "wireless" so its not in the way. The perfect sound quality of the built in units might be nice, altho i listen with subs so it doesnt realy matter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2006
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04lvl2
I have that same one you linked just for my pioneer and thats what we were listening too at Marks party. I love it and the sound quality is much better then a wireless FM modulated stand alone unit. I say go with one you can put under the seat and control through your radio.

x2, except mine is Alpine. I had a stand alone unit, but I kept getting interferance from other people that had iPods and what not going. I got sick of hearing hat, and having my stuff fade in and out, so I got the CDA9847 and that box and I really don't want to go back to a stand alone ever again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
Zach i mounted mine to the right of my airbag lock thingie. it looks good and i ran it "wireless" so its not in the way. The perfect sound quality of the built in units might be nice, altho i listen with subs so it doesnt realy matter.
I have owned both wireless and then the one I have now, subs or no subs hands down is better quality.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
sounds like the unit is the way to go. one day id lke to get something simular to the s50 but fully live.

im hoping around august i can get that box. i wasnt sure if that was what you had bill.

anyone think the 16 character limit will suck?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Mine only displays eight, I wish it did more but that would mean buying a year newer radio. Ill pass and eight characters is not all that bad. With mine you either get the station first and then either the artist or the song title and it scrolls so you can see the whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
oh ok, mine scrolls too, so it wil scroll but just dispaly 16 characters at a time. that works for me. lol

why cant i think these questions up whne im sitting in the seat of your truck.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-19-2006
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
I want Sirius, not XM so dont even bring it up.

Man, don't tell me you listen to howard stern......
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-19-2006
crawly1025's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steubenville Ohio
Posts: 1,361
Zach, I'm running the same thing but to a Pioneer HU. It sounds A LOT better then an FM modulated unit. Had that too before I bought the new HU. You're on the right track. If your Alpine will control Sirius, go that route. Once I got mine installed, I noticed a huge audio difference over using the FM modulator hookup. I can show you where I mounted mine too if ya want. I'd have to snap some pics when I get home.

They also make this one, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jxkZpDB...47350&I=607SV1

Its not as clean looking though. My buddy has one in his ranger and it doesnt require that little box. Instead, it transmits on an FM signal...say 88.1 FM. Whats cool about it is that as long as your car/truck has an antenna, you can switch the radio from car to car. And since its an FM transmitter....we park his ranger at the campsite and can tune the portable radio to the station thats transmitting the sirius. I'm thinking of getting this one for my 97. It just depends what you're looking for.

I'm partial to the way you;re talking about. I think you'll be happier. It sounds a lot better and looks clean too. I'm really happy with mine.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en
Man, don't tell me you listen to howard stern......

lol no, but i have it on my Dish TV service at home and love it. I need it for the truck now.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawly1025
Zach, I'm running the same thing but to a Pioneer HU. It sounds A LOT better then an FM modulated unit. Had that too before I bought the new HU. You're on the right track. If your Alpine will control Sirius, go that route. Once I got mine installed, I noticed a huge audio difference over using the FM modulator hookup. I can show you where I mounted mine too if ya want. I'd have to snap some pics when I get home.

They also make this one, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jxkZpDB...47350&I=607SV1

Its not as clean looking though. My buddy has one in his ranger and it doesnt require that little box. Instead, it transmits on an FM signal...say 88.1 FM. Whats cool about it is that as long as your car/truck has an antenna, you can switch the radio from car to car. And since its an FM transmitter....we park his ranger at the campsite and can tune the portable radio to the station thats transmitting the sirius. I'm thinking of getting this one for my 97. It just depends what you're looking for.

I'm partial to the way you;re talking about. I think you'll be happier. It sounds a lot better and looks clean too. I'm really happy with mine.
thanks man. that is two good reviews. i like to hear that becasue i think that is what i really want.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2006
crawly1025's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steubenville Ohio
Posts: 1,361
Howard Stern? who's that? Playboy Channel....thats what I'm talkin about lol

Zach, go with the headunit set up. Sounds so much better. You can mount that little box just about anywhere, I have mine behind the dash down by the floor vents....just to keep some air moving around it.

As far as the 16 character limit....I think mine is 21....might be 16....I'd be lying if I told you I remembered. But mine lets you set up the HU so that the station displays, the genre and then the song.

ex. Hairnation - Rock - Cinderella

(hell yes i said Cinderella!!) lol
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-19-2006
G'sevo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westland,mi
Posts: 418
yea definatly go with bills set up... i will be going with the same one alter on down the line.......
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2006
nated0g's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 467
I have the first gen "starbase". they have a new version called starbase replay. its like 80 bucks. it can either go thru hardwire RF or thru RCA's. it includes all cables, wiring harness, brain, the headunit, antenna.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
you like it?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-19-2006
crawly1025's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steubenville Ohio
Posts: 1,361
I have the first gen starbase....
wish i had something to use it for lol

i liked it, but it just didnt sound good. If you have the HU and its capable of sirius control...I'd utilize it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
ya i think i should go with the HU controlled one. i want good sound, and ive heard 3-4 people now say the ones that work FM arent anywhere near as good.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-19-2006
1 loud truck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MASS
Posts: 157
I have the starmate replay, which is great and i run it with aux input on my head unit ,or i can do fm also but i lke it because it has a home dock set up for the house and the boom box setup when you are at the beach etc...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-19-2006
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
i had my mp3 player on an fm modulator and it sounded like poop. i finally got the pioneer adaptor to rca's and it sounds oh so much better
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For anyone wondering. Pioneer xm radio works with the Sirius antenna leftofEDGE Audio & Video Tech 2 09-20-2008 11:01 AM
install of Sirius satellite radio fletch12518 Audio & Video Tech 22 01-12-2007 01:55 PM
Teach Me About sirius radio????!!!! fletch12518 Audio & Video Tech 23 11-22-2006 05:26 PM
sirius radio wiring Boriqua_02~EdGe~ General Technical & Electrical 7 04-05-2006 10:07 PM
Sirius Sat.Radio RedRanger02 Audio & Video Tech 31 11-28-2005 11:14 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.