Air intake mistake and question - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


DOHC - 2.3L Duratec / Mazda L Engines Discussions and Topics specific to the Duratec 4 cylinder engines

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-24-2008
Manny_T's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa
Posts: 6
Air intake mistake and question

I have a 2005 Ranger XL. I bought a 77 series K&N intake after some advisment that 2003 and up 4 cylinders were the same. I suppose most of the engine is, however when I was installing the intake, the MAF is part of the lid to the stock air filter house and not a separate unit as needed for the intake to work. So it doesnt fit. My question: is it possible to purchase an aftermarket MAF and have it work with this intake? What about if its for a different year or different engine or both? Other wise Im going to sell it (obviously). Im not really an engine guy and Im not sure how all of this works, so bear with me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
I would sell it! The airbox and air filter for the 4 cylinder is the same as the 3.0L and 4.0L V-6 engines. So it doesn't take much to figure out that the
OEM setup is way over designed for the amount of air the 4 cylinder will pull.
You will not see any improvements at all with the aftermarket intake!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
I would sell it! The airbox and air filter for the 4 cylinder is the same as the 3.0L and 4.0L V-6 engines. So it doesn't take much to figure out that the
OEM setup is way over designed for the amount of air the 4 cylinder will pull.
You will not see any improvements at all with the aftermarket intake!
Get over it already. If he wants to put an intake on his truck then the intake is going on his truck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: College Station
Posts: 2,781
Return it to where ever you bought it from if you bought new.

or try..

ebay, craigslist, etc..

I have that intake kit, plus magnaflow, plus xcal, so I do not know what helped or didnt, but my truck is fun to drive and can squeek my 31"s on dry payment from a stop..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Get over it already. If he wants to put an intake on his truck then the intake is going on his truck.
Are you reading something into my post? I never told him he couldn't
put that intake on his truck!!


He just needs to understand that he will be throwing his money away!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2008
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
I can get you a maf housing that will make what you have work. You will need a tune though. No way around it.

Second option is to get the MAF housing, wiring, and sensor from a wrecking yard from a 2003 or older. You would have to cut the wiring on your truck. You would still need a tune.

Considering noone makes an aftermarket intake for your truck, I can't think of any other options.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Are you reading something into my post? I never told him he couldn't
put that intake on his truck!!


He just needs to understand that he will be throwing his money away!!
That's his choice. I'm got rid of my K&N and will be putting a Volant soon. I'd rather have that than the stock box any day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_T View Post
I have a 2005 Ranger XL. I bought a 77 series K&N intake after some advisment that 2003 and up 4 cylinders were the same. I suppose most of the engine is, however when I was installing the intake, the MAF is part of the lid to the stock air filter house and not a separate unit as needed for the intake to work. So it doesnt fit. My question: is it possible to purchase an aftermarket MAF and have it work with this intake? What about if its for a different year or different engine or both? Other wise Im going to sell it (obviously). Im not really an engine guy and Im not sure how all of this works, so bear with me. Thanks.
In 2004 and up Ford stopped using the separate maf housing on the intake. I would try and return it and get the correct one.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-24-2008
Manny_T's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa
Posts: 6
If I somehow got the intake from an older model, would I still have to cut the wiring? Could I just use the MAF from the '03 intake setup and just plug in to that sensor or am I missing something. Im assuming that an '03 for example has a separate MAF that I could simply plug into. Also what do you mean by tune?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-24-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_T View Post
If I somehow got the intake from an older model, would I still have to cut the wiring? Could I just use the MAF from the '03 intake setup and just plug in to that sensor or am I missing something. Im assuming that an '03 for example has a separate MAF that I could simply plug into. Also what do you mean by tune?
The MAF sensors have a different amplitude signal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-24-2008
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_T View Post
If I somehow got the intake from an older model, would I still have to cut the wiring? Could I just use the MAF from the '03 intake setup and just plug in to that sensor or am I missing something. Im assuming that an '03 for example has a separate MAF that I could simply plug into. Also what do you mean by tune?
The new maf integrated into the airbox are a very small interior diameter. Swapping to the older one is bigger. All the parameters will be off and it will not be driveable. This is why a tune would be required. A tune is put into your truck usng an Xcalibrator II tuning device which is about $400.

The sensor style changed at the same time the maf was integrated into the airbox. The connector is different. If you put the older maf housing into your ranger, you would need the older style sensor as well as the last bit of wiring for it. It would have to be spliced into your harness.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2008
Manny_T's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa
Posts: 6
I understand. Well, I guess Ill just sell it. It really doesnt seem worth the hassle and effort. Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air intake, air cooler, sealed filter??? Taylor_Patrick General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 09-16-2012 11:07 PM
K&N 63-1108 Air Charger Air Intake Kit eric1991 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 14 12-21-2011 04:28 PM
cold air intake/ mass air flow sensor question RangerRunner96 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 5 08-29-2008 02:01 PM
Stupid mistake on wheels k.blakeley Auto Detailing 101 21 10-25-2007 05:24 PM
Anyone make this mistake? graniteguy General Technical & Electrical 6 06-15-2007 07:54 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.