front diff ? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
front diff ?

I think this has been discussed but lets have at it again.

Whats the front diff, dana 35 hybrid ? Its an open diff right ? Anyone put a locker or LS in can it be done ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
It can be done. I believe there have been 2 or 3 that have put them in there. Gil was going to put one in his, don' know if he did or not. I know Adrian (SupersonicFX4) put one in his.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2005
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
Check the search, I know there are at least 3 of us. I highly suggest it, best mod i've done. And can't hardly tell it is there on the daily drive. Pricey little luchbox locker but while worth it. I'd really like to go wheel with Jared and his ranger on 35's bodylift, RCD lift, and superchager, than that would be a true test if it was worth it!!!

If you wheel a lot and are getting the 2 wheel spin in your 4x4 than it is time to think about a front locker. I went front locker over rear bcuz I still drive my truck daily, and the added stress on the axle shafts from a rear locker were more than I wanted to worry about. Plus driving on wet roads or snow, just can't tell when it will lock or not lock. And the fact I already had LS in the rear. But just remember the cv axle are know your weak leak, has Gil found out. But we already knew that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2005
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
sorry, I would not recommend a front locker for a DD
great asset on the trail, but it will wear your front end and tires down faster with regular driving on pavement
now an electric/selectable front locker that goes to LS in regular driving - that is something to develop
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicFX4
I went front locker over rear bcuz I still drive my truck daily, and the added stress on the axle shafts from a rear locker were more than I wanted to worry about. Plus driving on wet roads or snow, just can't tell when it will lock or not lock.
That's what a selectable locker if for! That's why I bought the ECTED. And it IS a limited slip when it's not locked.

If you can, stay away from automatic lockers anywhere on a daily driver. And I recommend locking the rear before the front (though either helps). You can see what a rear locker does for my 4x2 and it's selectable.

Although LockRight's and NoSlip's are easy/cheap to install and all, I think the time and money spent for a full carrier replacement selectable locker is worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2005
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
sorry, I would not recommend a front locker for a DD
great asset on the trail, but it will wear your front end and tires down faster with regular driving on pavement
now an electric/selectable front locker that goes to LS in regular driving - that is something to develop
Neil, Neil, Neil, it doesn't wear anything out in the front, no power to the front diff, so not locked to add wear. I agree selectabl locker in the front is the way to go, but which one fits the ranger hybird 35 and if there was one who could afford it?
Lets see my 03 with 31k miles on it, no added front end wear, tires still good, cv axle still holding up fine, power steering okay has shown signs of added stress but that was from wheeling not from DD.

I see no added stress or wear from the locker while driving and less stress when wheeling bcuz you can now just crawl over things instead of lots of skinny pedal. Down side, no you try things you would never even think of trying with an open diff.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2005
elmo_4_vt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 377
Even though the front driveshaft is not powered through the transfercase when in 2-hi, you still would have extra stress because the front tires have to turn at the same speed when turning. Same with the power steering, it's having to skid one tire slightly any time it turns. I agree that it shouldn't be enough to break anything as long as your using it correctly, but it is still more stress on components than an open diff would create.

Just MHO...


EDIT: After reading the post again, it WOULD make sense if we were talking about something that dis-engages when not power, like a Detroit... Sorry if that's the type of locker that we're talking about.

Don

-

Last edited by elmo_4_vt; 09-14-2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding???
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicFX4
Neil, Neil, Neil, it doesn't wear anything out in the front, no power to the front diff, so not locked to add wear. I agree selectabl locker in the front is the way to go, but which one fits the ranger hybird 35 and if there was one who could afford it?
Lets see my 03 with 31k miles on it, no added front end wear, tires still good, cv axle still holding up fine, power steering okay has shown signs of added stress but that was from wheeling not from DD.

I see no added stress or wear from the locker while driving and less stress when wheeling bcuz you can now just crawl over things instead of lots of skinny pedal. Down side, no you try things you would never even think of trying with an open diff.

so then that front locker prolly wouldnt be a good idea for someone like me that would use 4wd on snowy roads? idk im just asking.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2005
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
I say we are talking automatic locker like a loc rite or no-slip since those are the only 2 that would fit in a dana 35 hybird.

I've said it b4 adn I know I will say it many more times, the no-slip in the front is not noticeable when on the street, peroid. It disenages so smooth to make turns you can't tell it is there.

John-yes secletable is the way to go, but I saying if it is luchbox (aka automatic, not detorit) lock the front bcuz of the added stress the rear axles would see with a locked rear on the street. Now which is better off-road locked front or locked rear thats another topic!!

zabeard-do a search on front locker in snow. I wrote a short review on my locker in the snow. I strongly disagree with most people who say DONT put a front locker in a truck that sees a lot of snowy roads, "you can't turn". I didn't have that problem in my truck, with snow covered roads. I think why people say that is they talk to people who have locked front and rear rigs and so when they try to turn in something that is locker front/rear the rear just keeps pushing the truck straight, I don't have that my rear diff lets me turn. And when I was in the snow it turned fine, just like it would in an open diff 4x4. I still would like to do more snow cover street driving but the couple times I used it this winter I had no problems turning. And that was driving in both 2wd and 4wd home about 40 miles on ice/snow covered roads.

Both hey what do I know I have a locker in the front!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
interesting, So whats availible market wise what LS or Lockers are out there what are they who makes them ? What do you guys have ? My truck is not a DD, but I still don't like the idea of more wear so something that unlocks when not powered = Good, I think the ECTED is the greated thing ever, and I think one just might find its way into my truck but I don't think I need one front and rear.

Anyone know anything about OX lockers, which turn on and off with a cable ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicFX4
zabeard-do a search on front locker in snow. I wrote a short review on my locker in the snow. I strongly disagree with most people who say DONT put a front locker in a truck that sees a lot of snowy roads, "you can't turn". I didn't have that problem in my truck, with snow covered roads. I think why people say that is they talk to people who have locked front and rear rigs and so when they try to turn in something that is locker front/rear the rear just keeps pushing the truck straight, I don't have that my rear diff lets me turn. And when I was in the snow it turned fine, just like it would in an open diff 4x4. I still would like to do more snow cover street driving but the couple times I used it this winter I had no problems turning. And that was driving in both 2wd and 4wd home about 40 miles on ice/snow covered roads.

Both hey what do I know I have a locker in the front!!
nope that is perfect, just the info i needed. i trust ya. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
so are loc rite or no-slip the only choices ? do they unlock when not powered ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
by hte way i understand it they do.

those are the only two brands i have heard that work. gil has a power trax i thin or something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGildo
I have a genuine gear quick lock. it is a powertraxx lock right equivalent...
thats what he PM'ed me, why did he break his front CV joint ? Anybody know what caused that ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
So from reading that is it a garentee that CV will break with a locker up front ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
if ya wheel like gil prolly. lol
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
and there is not a beefyer CV out there ?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-14-2005
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
Not that I know of, and this is how hard Gil wheels.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=11482


Power trax no-slip front locker here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
You don't wheel as hard as Gil right ? Do you expect to break a CV ?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-14-2005
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
You don't wheel as hard as Gil right ? Do you expect to break a CV ?
I don't know that was some tough stuff he did this past couple weekends, I've done some tough rocks you can see the pictures.


http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...57-album-37593

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...57-album-36745

http://photobucket.com/albums/v507/SuperSonicFX4/

You tell me if I wheel as hard as Gil.

I do expect to break a cv, I just don't know when. Plus he has alot more miles on his rig so that adds stress with or without a locker. But yes I know my cv axle will be the 1st thing to break.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-14-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Somewhere, XYZ
Posts: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
so then that front locker prolly wouldnt be a good idea for someone like me that would use 4wd on snowy roads? idk im just asking.
That would be my hesitation myself. If you're ever going to be going over say 20-30 MPH in 4Hi, I would think that a front locker-particularly these 'no-slip' and automatic lockers-would add a certian degree of unpredictability to the vehicles handling. Especially when combined w/ our three channel ABS systems. I would have a means of disabling the ABS for certian!

We've discussed this in the past, and Adrian assures me that there was very little, if any impact on his snowy-road driving performance.. but I'm just not warm to the idea. Personally I think the truck handles unpredictably enough at speed in snow and ice as it is. I would hate to make it worse.

In short, if you're going off road only (or nearly so), then that's one thing. But for a DD, I'd think long and hard about this mod.

Personally, I'm interested in a 'Rover style t-case w/ locable center diff. Selectable part time AWD<->4WD! Now that's what I want.. I also hear 'Rovers have 2Lo!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicFX4
I don't know that was some tough stuff he did this past couple weekends, I've done some tough rocks you can see the pictures.


http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...57-album-37593

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...57-album-36745

http://photobucket.com/albums/v507/SuperSonicFX4/

You tell me if I wheel as hard as Gil.

I do expect to break a cv, I just don't know when. Plus he has alot more miles on his rig so that adds stress with or without a locker. But yes I know my cv axle will be the 1st thing to break.

after seeing those pics.. i need to move..lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-14-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
That would be my hesitation myself. If you're ever going to be going over say 20-30 MPH in 4Hi, I would think that a front locker-particularly these 'no-slip' and automatic lockers-would add a certian degree of unpredictability to the vehicles handling. Especially when combined w/ our three channel ABS systems. I would have a means of disabling the ABS for certian!

We've discussed this in the past, and Adrian assures me that there was very little, if any impact on his snowy-road driving performance.. but I'm just not warm to the idea. Personally I think the truck handles unpredictably enough at speed in snow and ice as it is. I would hate to make it worse.

In short, if you're going off road only (or nearly so), then that's one thing. But for a DD, I'd think long and hard about this mod.
well at time i run 70+ on snowy roads, only time i ever had trouble is with my crapy goodyear tires, might have an issue this year with the mudders but we will see. i acutally think our trucks do dang good in the snow. i prefer it over my dads 98 f150 4x4. going faster doesnt necisarily mean it will lock right? i mean it will prolly lock more often at a slower speed then higher. that is why gil said under 15mph its not that great.

idk that i really want the locker, but i know it would be nice, realy nice when i go out and play. at the same time i dont go off-road for several weeks at a time sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-14-2005
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
I wish someone could come and drive my truck and tell me if they can tell if I have a locker in it or not!! Oh well. Colin you coming to NM anytime soon!! LOL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changed the rear diff oil, went to synthetic & new diff cover Clinton Snapshots 15 07-06-2011 04:11 PM
front diff and rear diff fordguy19 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 10-30-2010 05:21 PM
Front Diff -- how to disconnect? Dalmatian90 Drivetrain Tech 12 05-24-2009 02:47 PM
Easiest way to change front diff fluid and seal? rideac1 Drivetrain Tech 7 09-25-2008 08:37 PM
another question concerning the front diff. loneFX4 Drivetrain Tech 5 06-03-2005 10:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.