Front diff question... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-19-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Front diff question...

I'm wondering if the front differential gearing must be the same gearing as the rear axel. Because when in 4x4 i'm thinking that both of the gear ratios must be the same or the front would drive faster than the rear or vice-versa.
I was looking at prerunner rear axles and the question popped into my mind. Or does the transfer case deal with this type of torque change?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
Front and Rear need to be the same. There is nothing in the driveline to deal with any variance.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
If one were to change the ratio in the rear but not the front, and not put it in 4x4, would that cause a problem?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafi49
If one were to change the ratio in the rear but not the front, and not put it in 4x4, would that cause a problem?

It shouldn't since the front would not be connected to the rear when 4x4 disengaged.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
Didn't think so..just always wondered :) Thanx
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
um i would disconnect the front driveshaft if i was just going to change gears i nthe rear only and not the front. one accidental flip of the switch could cost you lots of money.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
I'm no longer considering it (selling gears) but yeah that sounds like something I'd do :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
that was what i was going to do as well, but then i ended up regearing both the front and the rear at the same time.

but im still 2wd. blew the front driveshaft out 2 weeks later, becasue of the lift.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
Ouch man. That blows (get it?..yeah I need sleep). You making any more trips down to FL?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
what gears do you have Shalafi49? and what axle are they for? If you are selling i may be interested
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
I made a post about them. 4.10's for an 8.8. With master install kit. Dang! I didn't put a price....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafi49
Ouch man. That blows (get it?..yeah I need sleep). You making any more trips down to FL?

lol

actually will be down in FL in a month but not with the truck. im dropping the truck off in NC for some work to be done to it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
Dang. I'd love to see her in person. What are you getting done?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Some paint, new tailgate, fix the cracked fiberglass bed and some other things.

id love to drive it all the way down, but ah maybe someother time.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
My brother recently moved to IN to work at Hillsdale (I think it's called) Hospital. Is that anywhere near you? I'm hoping to visit him sometime and if I do maybe we could hang out for an afternoon or something.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafi49
I made a post about them. 4.10's for an 8.8. With master install kit. Dang! I didn't put a price....
What do you want for them??
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafi49
My brother recently moved to IN to work at Hillsdale (I think it's called) Hospital. Is that anywhere near you? I'm hoping to visit him sometime and if I do maybe we could hang out for an afternoon or something.

looks liek about a 3 hour drive if the name hillsdale is right.

let me know, we can prolly meet up
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2006
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
looks liek about a 3 hour drive if the name hillsdale is right.

let me know, we can prolly meet up
If I'm already driving *insert hours from FL to IN* another 3 isn't going to matter much :)
It'll probably be next year but hopefully we can do something.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafi49
If I'm already driving *insert hours from FL to IN* another 3 isn't going to matter much :)
It'll probably be next year but hopefully we can do something.

ya man just let me know
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-19-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
lol

actually will be down in FL in a month but not with the truck. im dropping the truck off in NC for some work to be done to it.
Where in NC are you coming thru?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Charlotte, NC

but im just dropping it off. not hangin around.

i wish i could but i barley got my parents to make the 4 hour side track from their original plans
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-19-2006
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
Charlotte, NC

but im just dropping it off. not hangin around.

i wish i could but i barley got my parents to make the 4 hour side track from their original plans
Are you getting a deal on body work or something? If not arent there good body shops in IN? Just Curious.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN
Are you getting a deal on body work or something? If not arent there good body shops in IN? Just Curious.

~HJ

I'm getting a great deal from a good friend of mine.

Ill post pics and such when it is done.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-19-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
I'm getting a great deal from a good friend of mine.

Ill post pics and such when it is done.
You getting anything special with the paint of just back to stock? you ought to get it done like mine with the silver.....that would look bad *** on a narrow bed with the sonic blue!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-19-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
You getting anything special with the paint of just back to stock? you ought to get it done like mine with the silver.....that would look bad *** on a narrow bed with the sonic blue!!

not sure, you will see when its all done. but i dont really want to cover up my sonic blue, so prolly just stock.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changed the rear diff oil, went to synthetic & new diff cover Clinton Snapshots 15 07-06-2011 04:11 PM
front diff and rear diff fordguy19 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 10-30-2010 05:21 PM
Front Diff Question 2003Ranger Drivetrain Tech 2 02-01-2006 11:45 PM
98-00 front diff question eric113 Drivetrain Tech 8 06-30-2005 09:57 AM
another question concerning the front diff. loneFX4 Drivetrain Tech 5 06-03-2005 10:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.