Loud whining after slave replacement - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-30-2009
1997ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: clinton,mississippi
Posts: 136
Loud whining after slave replacement

Just as the title says. I replaced my slave cylinder last night and as soon as i got it back in i go to crank and it sounds like i've add a supercharger. Can you guys tell me what this might be. I really don't wanna pull this thing again.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2009
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Did you replace the pilot bearing also?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2009
1997ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: clinton,mississippi
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
Did you replace the pilot bearing also?
no could that be it. the noise gets louder with the rpms and its not exhaust i put a screw driver up to the transmission to listen and you can hear the noise around the bell housing but when you put it up to the bleeder valve or the line you can hear it like you can on the bell housing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2009
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997ranger View Post
no could that be it. the noise gets louder with the rpms and its not exhaust i put a screw driver up to the transmission to listen and you can hear the noise around the bell housing but when you put it up to the bleeder valve or the line you can hear it like you can on the bell housing.
Could very well be. Does it do it when the clutch is in and out, both, etc? Bad news is that it's about 10 bucks or so and cheap insurance when doing any clutch work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2009
1997ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: clinton,mississippi
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
Could very well be. Does it do it when the clutch is in and out, both, etc? Bad news is that it's about 10 bucks or so and cheap insurance when doing any clutch work.
it does it with both could it be maybe a cheap slave and it being new be rubbing something it cost 92 dollars i didnt get to get it i had a buddy pick it up for me is that a cheap on or is it mid grade or what
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2009
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997ranger View Post
it does it with both could it be maybe a cheap slave and it being new be rubbing something it cost 92 dollars i didnt get to get it i had a buddy pick it up for me is that a cheap on or is it mid grade or what
Pilot bearing is usually only when the clutch is disengaged. Does it drive OK? Does not sound like the slave, did you bleed the slave?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2009
Rolldogg's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
Pilot bearing is usually only when the clutch is disengaged. Does it drive OK? Does not sound like the slave, did you bleed the slave?
LOL........oh I know that noise. I replaced the slave a few years back along with a new clutch kit........only thing I didn't know was to replace the pilot bearing while in there. The little thing makes some noise with the clutch disengaged and with the trans in neutral. Not so bad in a gear though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2009
1997ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: clinton,mississippi
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolldogg View Post
LOL........oh I know that noise. I replaced the slave a few years back along with a new clutch kit........only thing I didn't know was to replace the pilot bearing while in there. The little thing makes some noise with the clutch disengaged and with the trans in neutral. Not so bad in a gear though.
mine does it in gear in neutral and with the clutch disengaged
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
loud whining noise staracaster 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 4 03-19-2015 06:11 AM
fan making loud whining sounds impact1223 Drivetrain Tech 1 05-24-2014 11:42 AM
'97 Slave Cylinder vs. '03 Slave Cylinder....what is the difference? lifted97ranger Drivetrain Tech 21 01-17-2014 11:38 PM
Transmission stuck in reverse after clutch slave replacement Intents000 Drivetrain Tech 5 09-29-2011 12:42 AM
I want my truck to be loud but not too loud Jardo87 Ranger-Forums Office 35 07-03-2005 05:46 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.