Question about regearing to "stock" ratio on larger tires - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-12-2010
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 1,174
Question about regearing to "stock" ratio on larger tires

I have heard that for 33's, a 4.56 ratio will bring you close to, let's use a stock FX4 with 4.10 and 31's for example.

I currently have 4.10 on 33's. At 65 I'm at @ 2500rpm, and that's in O/D on my manual tranny. If I were to go to 4.56, math says I will be close to 2800 at 65mph. But 4.56/33's would be "closer to stock" than my current 4.10/33's, thus reducing drag on the engine and drivetrain compared to what I have now. So if I got 4.56, would my mileage go up or down? Seems like it could go either way, given the factors.

BTW, Is a stock Ranger with 4.10s and 31's really doing 2,800rpm at 65mph? I think someone here reported @2300 at 65mph on their 31's/4.10s. This is where I get confused.

Last edited by gts007; 04-12-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2010
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
BTW, Is a stock Ranger with 4.10s and 31's really doing 2,800rpm at 65mph? I think I heard someone here reported @2300 at 65mph on their 31's/4.10s. This is where I get confused.
My truck has 4.10's and 30's if I remember right. At 65 mph I'm doing about 2400 or so.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Keep in mind a manual and automatic transmission will end up at different rpm, even if they end up at the same ratio due to the slip in the torque converter. Also keep in mind that not everyone has proplerly calibrated speedometers so the numbers you hear will typically vary by a couple hundred.
Your mileage could potentially go either way. Generally I would say it would increase but driving habits and terrain will make a bi difference. A person in a very flat area who drives easily and doesn't tow/haul/off road much might benefit more from 4.10s but I would say that is the exception.
Either way the cost of regearing doesn't make up for mileage, you re-gear more for performance of to decease stress on the drivetrain IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2010
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
My truck has 4.10's and 30's if I remember right. At 65 mph I'm doing about 2400 or so.
Yeah. So on 31's you'd be slightly lower, prob 2250-2300. But if I were to drop down to 31's, I'd be hitting like 2800 on my 4.10's, since I'm currently at 2450-2500 on 33's at that speed. I'm ultra confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjwilson View Post
Keep in mind a manual and automatic transmission will end up at different rpm, even if they end up at the same ratio due to the slip in the torque converter. Also keep in mind that not everyone has proplerly calibrated speedometers so the numbers you hear will typically vary by a couple hundred.
Your mileage could potentially go either way. Generally I would say it would increase but driving habits and terrain will make a bi difference. A person in a very flat area who drives easily and doesn't tow/haul/off road much might benefit more from 4.10s but I would say that is the exception.
Either way the cost of regearing doesn't make up for mileage, you re-gear more for performance of to decease stress on the drivetrain IMO.
Yea thats why Im confused, I figured my RPMs would be even lower due to the manual trans. And I do compensate for the speedo difference when I arrive at these numbers. At 65mph my speedo says ~58. At 80mph my speedo says 65. lol. And yeah I'm just wondering about this because I'm considering going to 4.56 or 4.3 when I get a locker

Last edited by gts007; 04-12-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
On my truck 33s/4.10's is the same as stock. IDK how big my tires were but I had 3.73 gears factory. My speedometer is like literally 100% accurate now that I put the 4.10 rear end in it. What gears did your truck come with factory?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2010
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
On my truck 33s/4.10's is the same as stock. IDK how big my tires were but I had 3.73 gears factory. My speedometer is like literally 100% accurate now that I put the 4.10 rear end in it. What gears did your truck come with factory?
You probably had somewhere around 255's or 30 - 30.5's.
Stock I had 3.55. I briefly had my 31's with my 4.10's but it was so brief I can't remember what my rpm's were on the freeway. Speedo was inaccurate as hell with 3.55's and 31's. When I regeared to 4.10 it was decently accurate again with the 31s, I remember that much. Now with 33s it's so inaccurate it's funny.

Last edited by gts007; 04-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Yeah mine was around 15% too slow if I remember right with the 3.73's? 4.56's is probably what would be ideal for you. You're lucky you live a Cali too since thats like prerunner ranger heaven theres axles with 4.56's already installed always for sale on the forums and stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2010
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 1,174
So you didn't have to get a programmer or anything to get your speedo 100% accurate with your 33's and 4.10's?
4.56 would be cool on my truck but I don't really want it anymore, I'm on the highway alot these days. I'm even kinda reluctant to do 4.3 but I really would like to get a little low end back. Hoping it'll work out perfect.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Nope, just got lucky I guess lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2010
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 1,174
thats fawkin rad. I'm jealous
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-12-2010
edgerider2002's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 1,584
when my speedometer says 55 going down the freeway im really doing 65 and my rpms are i think around 2700, maybe its been a while since ive driven on the freeway lol and ive got 4:10s
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-12-2010
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 559, CA
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerider2002 View Post
when my speedometer says 55 going down the freeway im really doing 65 and my rpms are i think around 2700, maybe its been a while since ive driven on the freeway lol and ive got 4:10s
do u remember what it was with the 31's?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-12-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Normally I would say just go for the 4.56 gears. But being a regular cab 2wd, 4.30s would be okay as well I think.

A gearing calculator says that coming from 31s and 4.10s, you would need 4.36 gears for 33" tires. So 4.30s would be nearly identical aside from the extra weight and drag from the 33s.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2010
edgerider2002's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
do u remember what it was with the 31's?
No I don't... And I drove on the freeway yesterday and looked and I was actually around 2300-2400 when my speedo said 55
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding larger tires and power steering pump web Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 2 12-06-2011 09:34 PM
you think my ranger can run 35x12.5 tires, also whats the stock gear ratio? Bigdank General Ford Ranger Discussion 24 01-01-2008 08:36 PM
Best Larger Than Stock Tranny Cooler? Trevelyn1015 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 2 11-05-2005 05:26 AM
Void vehicle warrenty for larger tires? optikal illushun General Ford Ranger Discussion 20 10-17-2005 03:09 PM
larger tires locking up my ABS??? crawly1025 Suspension Tech 36 07-11-2005 04:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.