Fog lights - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Exterior Semi-Tech General discussion of exterior for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-27-2013
DangerRanger96's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thomasville, NC
Posts: 611
Fog lights

so i just installed my new bumper and valence with fog lights today, but i didnt have them before. i plan on putting hids in them and was wondering how they would need to be wired up. can they be wired into the headlights so when the headlight switch is on they come on?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2013
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
i would go to the junkyard and get a bezel from a truck originally equipped with foglights and cut off the harness plug for the switch. wire the foglights to that switch using the proper sized fuses and activate the circuit with a relay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2013
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
i would go to the junkyard and get a bezel from a truck originally equipped with foglights and cut off the harness plug for the switch. wire the foglights to that switch using the proper sized fuses and activate the circuit with a relay.
x2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2013
DangerRanger96's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thomasville, NC
Posts: 611
i dont want to have a switch though, i just want the fog lights on with my head lights
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,694
Set up the fog light switch/relay to come on when you fire up the truck.
This way you will have the fogs on all the time, sort of a daytime running light.
Find a wire that has power after the engine is started.
Run a fused wire from that point to pin 86 on a relay and ground pin 85; now when you turn on the truck the relay will click, if not check out the wiring.
Then run a fused wire from the positive battery terminal to pin 30 on the relay and from pin 87 run another wire to the lights.
Size the wire and fuses according to the current (amps) draw for each section, i.e relay draw minimum current so a 1 or 2 amps fuse will do, the HIDs will draw less than OEM Fogs but check out the manufacturers amperage figures and size everything on that section of the circuit 20% heavier than you need.

I hope that isn’t too confusing.

When running the Fogs off the headlights circuit you will need either a double relay setup or run the lights on either low or high beams.

Good Project, good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2013
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
you can wire them up this way^^^ or use the marker lights to turn on your relay instead of the headlights. this way the fogs will stay on with high and low beams.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2013
DangerRanger96's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thomasville, NC
Posts: 611
well i dont use high beams anyways so it wouldnt make a deffernce to me
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
you can wire them up this way^^^ or use the marker lights to turn on your relay instead of the headlights. this way the fogs will stay on with high and low beams.
Same thing, find a power source, i.e. parking light… good idea they will be on with the parkers or the headlights, nice.

This is easy to do, when you get there let me know or check out some of the How-To’s on the site.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2013
DangerRanger96's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thomasville, NC
Posts: 611
could somebody draw me up a diagram, im not wiring savvy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,694
Here is a how-to

https://www.ranger-forums.com/interi...-light-105901/

Check out the schematic in the thread.
Instead of a switch to activate the relay use the parking light wire on pin 85 of the relay. (85 and 86 are interchangeable)

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-28-2013
DangerRanger96's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thomasville, NC
Posts: 611
im not a very good electrician but ill give it a shot
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-29-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerRanger96 View Post
im not a very good electrician but ill give it a shot
Ok on the wiring, just ask questions.

The hardest part will be finding the parking light wire in the harness.
Use a 12 volt probe, turn on the parking lights and start checking wires for power.
Might help if you look on the parking light socket to see what color wire is there.
There should be at least two wires, one for the parking lights and one for the directionals, maybe a third for a ground. Then find the same color wire further back in the harness, closer to the firewall, check the wire for power and tap the wire.

Take your time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2013
Machine090767's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,410
check your local (state) fog light laws. most allow them at any time, but a few states will ticket you if your fog lights are used in clear, non inclement weather situations. and to make matters worse, if you cannot turn off your fog lights if a cop tells you to do so, you just might get your truck towed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine090767 View Post
check your local (state) fog light laws. most allow them at any time, but a few states will ticket you if your fog lights are used in clear, non inclement weather situations. and to make matters worse, if you cannot turn off your fog lights if a cop tells you to do so, you just might get your truck towed.
Good point !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
Ok on the wiring, just ask questions.

The hardest part will be finding the parking light wire in the harness.
Use a 12 volt probe, turn on the parking lights and start checking wires for power.
Might help if you look on the parking light socket to see what color wire is there.
There should be at least two wires, one for the parking lights and one for the directionals, maybe a third for a ground. Then find the same color wire further back in the harness, closer to the firewall, check the wire for power and tap the wire.

Take your time.
https://www.ranger-forums.com/interi...-light-105901/

Easy to add an additional switch.
There are two ways to approach the switch wiring so post up what you will be doing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 93-97 3rd Gen Fog lights and Fog Light Brackets - GA MugenCRX04 Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 13 03-28-2011 04:41 PM
Want to Buy: 06-07 factory fog lights, and radio bezel w/fog switch (Oregon) SVT01RANGER Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 0 05-28-2010 05:24 PM
Want to Buy: 06-07 factory fog lights, and radio bezel w/fog switch (Oregon) SVT01RANGER Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 9 04-03-2010 12:06 AM
Wiring up fog lights to factory fog light switch. Ranger_Envy General Technical & Electrical 3 07-27-2009 09:05 PM
Fog lights on a non fog light truck... melj2000 General Technical & Electrical 2 09-28-2007 11:12 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 PM.