General Lee - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Exterior Semi-Tech General discussion of exterior for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD
Posts: 28
General Lee

Hey guys, do any of you know where I could get the paint code for the General Lee? Or do you know what the color was called? Thinking about painting the ranger this color. Maybe a big 01 on the doors. I can't get the flag on top b/c I won't be allowed to park on the lot at school, but my best friend's dad can do a Confederate flag headliner. Thanks for the help guys.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2008
TheManInBlack's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lillington, NC
Posts: 304
Not sure about the paint code but you might try www.paintscratch.com if you know the year and model they MIGHT have if it was a stock color i will give it a shot but on another note you should get a really big confederate flag car magnet so you can take it off when you need too

EDIT****

NO LUCK on that website but i found this on google


MAKE/MODEL: Dodge Charger R/T [Road and Track]
YEAR: 1969
ENGINE: 440 Magnum
CARBURETOR: Holley Four Barrel 650 Double Pumper
TRANSMISSION: Chrysler "Torque Flite" A-727
RIMS: American Racing 10 Spoke Cyclone
COLOR: Hemi Orange with flat black around the tail lights, a Confederate Flag on the roof with General Lee spelled out to the side of it, an 01 on both doors, and on some Chargers right above the CB antenna were two flags crossed over each other. One was a Confederate Flag and the other was a Checkered Flag
LICENSE PLATE: Georgia CNH 320
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD
Posts: 28
Looked on Wikipedia (not 100% sure to trust it, never allowed to use it for school) and they had quite a bit of info on it. The original color used was 1975 Corvette Flame Red (more research found that it was called Corvette Flame Orange). It does describe the Confederate and checkered flag, but I can't do either. Also, the wheels used were American Racing Vector wheel, I went on their website and they still sell the wheel. They are 15x8.5, but the original General Lee wheels were 14x7. They have them in Ranger bolt pattern. I also found out that the color used on the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard movie was called Big Bad Orange. I think I'm going to aim for original style. I'm probably gonna do the exhaust the same way, I found that it was a shortened system with a Cherrybomb glasspack even though I prefer Purple Hornies. I feel that this will be a very fun build and I will attract a lot of attention. The interior will need to be changed also, but I can wait for that. Wikipedia said the original horn was the first 12 notes from "Dixie's Land", but then another place called it "Revelry". I did see a company when I was at Carlisle All Truck Nationals that had the best Dixie air horn I've ever heard and it was very loud. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2008
swamper06's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: McAdoo, PA
Posts: 735
Big Bad Orange was an AMX color. Last weekend on spike tv during the powerblock they had the original "General Lee", and on there they said the original color was a custom blend. But that was General Lee #1 so that could have changed after that since that car lasted about 30 seconds into the opening credits.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2008
TheManInBlack's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lillington, NC
Posts: 304
www.wolo.com would be the best place for the horn
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2008
Wolgun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: War, Wv
Posts: 236
why cant you park in the schools lot if you have the Confederit Flag on your roof?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD
Posts: 28
I saw the Lee1 on the Powerblock, pretty amazing. But anyways, dragon wolf, the schools have banned "rascist" material and they think the Confederate flag is rascist. We always get in trouble for wearing stuff with it on it, I've volunteered to go to the principals about it. The parking attendent is black and like crazy about all that stuff, the truck won't be lifted so she will be able to see the roof. But if I have the flag painted on the truck, I def. wont be able to get a parking permit and I'll have to park on Loser Lane (road about 1/8 mile from school where kids w/o permits park). The school I go to is out of zone, so I have to provide my own transportation, so the truck is the only way I can go to school. I'm also enrolled in the local community college to get my Letter of Recognition for welding so I can have more experience and some "look good" stuff on my transcript when I apply to another college.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManInBlack
www.wolo.com would be the best place for the horn
I don't like Wolo, I've looked at them before and it's not that great. A friend of mine had the dixie horn they make and it sounded like crap.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of what the blue and white was called in the 01?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2008
Wolgun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: War, Wv
Posts: 236
oh, well that the north for you. lol I had a Confed. Flag painded on my hood befor i got the flames. but i live in the south to. id paint it in the bed and get a tanno cover, or you could just put a sheet ply wood over it wial your at school
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
That was not Lee 1 and Travis bell doesn't own it. He conned Lee1 original owner into letting him spear head the restoration. They bought another car and did a complete body swap using only bits of the firewall and the dashpad. Travis bell then took the parts and a lot of money from the owner and sold them for a huge profit. The original roll bar is in his garage (He says it is on the car, but picture prove other wise) the roof was sold to canada and the entire back half floor and all was sold in little bits on ebay. He also claims to be the owner and while he did own half of it at one time, he basically stole it from his friend and business partner. He has stolen cars from a friend of his who lived in australia and sold them to japan. This guy is not to be trusted and has some major legal actions in the works right now. He will probably be in jail in the near future.

If you want to know the real story of LEE1 Read this:

http://www.mygenerallee.com/


Oh and Corvette Flame red is the original color of LEE3 the real original LEE (They were numbered in Georgia but built in cali) LEE 3 is the car that was used in all the promo and is the only real R/T of the original GA era cars. It is the one with no numbers on the door or pics with the doors open. it is by far the nicest of the Georgia Lees and survived well into the second season. Richard Sephton, who built the general Lees verified that the original car was picked out of a paint book and was in fact 1975 corvette Flame Red. LEE 1 was sent to georgia still in its original Gold/Tan color and dressed there so it is whatever the guys at the body shop in GA concocted.


Flame red is by far the best color out there for a general lee. The movie used BBO, and the factory Hemi orange is way too red. Hugger is another popular choice also.




^ Lee 3 in Cali with no numbers.

Last edited by HAZZARDJOHN; 01-15-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreBoy725
I don't like Wolo, I've looked at them before and it's not that great. A friend of mine had the dixie horn they make and it sounded like crap.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of what the blue and white was called in the 01?

For the horns go with Fiamm. I have it and it sounds great. Really since the one on the show was a recording, you are never going to replicate it 100%. Air horns are funny based on the speed of the compressor and the length of the hose they can vary greatly.

Also the 01 was black and white. And just pasic gloss black and bright white works great. Also Decals can be had for real cheap, if you want accurate go with Tony at Buildagenerallee.com, also Phoenix graphics makes them but they are inaccurate, but the movie used them so I gues it makes them kinda accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2008
2002ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 164
it's not racism it's heritage.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2008
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002ranger
it's not racism it's heritage.
im not even going to keep this going but it was used as an intimidation factor in the south by the KKK during civil rights movements...

still your typical liberal state rule
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Lee 1 has about 20 seconds of airtime in the entire dukes run. It was shown first in the pilot episode when the boys first go to the boars nest. Bo drives it into the boars nest parking lot and parks. Then it is seen (Post jump you can tell as the wheel is bent and the door won't close) as the boys load a slot machine into it, and then about 5 seconds later it jumps Rosco's patrol car. Then it is seen in the 4th episode of the Georgia five painted up as a Richard petty racecar being towed by LEE3. The blower engine shown in that episode was not actually in the car and is actually a chevy big block. The only reason that car is here is because the crusher wouldn't take it because it had cement in the trunk.




^ post jump, see Lee5's (only 68 charger used in GA) front fender there waiting for parts off of Lee1 to start the transformation



How it last left the body shop, after being fitted with other junk charger parts, painted and then beaten with cinder blocks to show damage like a racecar would have.


~HJ

Last edited by HAZZARDJOHN; 01-15-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2008
Wolgun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: War, Wv
Posts: 236
Technicly the rebel flag we all know and love was never used as a battle flag by the Confedarit army
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2008
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreBoy725
I saw the Lee1 on the Powerblock, pretty amazing. But anyways, dragon wolf, the schools have banned "rascist" material and they think the Confederate flag is rascist. We always get in trouble for wearing stuff with it on it, I've volunteered to go to the principals about it. The parking attendent is black and like crazy about all that stuff, the truck won't be lifted so she will be able to see the roof. But if I have the flag painted on the truck, I def. wont be able to get a parking permit and I'll have to park on Loser Lane (road about 1/8 mile from school where kids w/o permits park). The school I go to is out of zone, so I have to provide my own transportation, so the truck is the only way I can go to school. I'm also enrolled in the local community college to get my Letter of Recognition for welding so I can have more experience and some "look good" stuff on my transcript when I apply to another college.
So I guess they don't teach American History or the Civil War in your school.?...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD
Posts: 28
Well they do teach it, and the reason they give for not allowing the flag is what Jeff said that it was used for intimidation. Even though all the "rednecks" are school are actually pretty good friends with the majority of blacks, they still think we hate each other. And technically, Maryland is the south. Mason-Dixon line is MDs northern border and originally outlined the northern border of southern states. We were called neither in the Civil War, just a border state. Lincoln bribed us w/ keeping slaves as long as we stayed in the Union to prevent being completely surrounded by Confederate States. But over here on the Shore, many many people were arrested b/c of trying to side with the Confederates. But this isn't history class, it's RF :) And I passed American History last year with a 91%
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2008
racsan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: central ohio
Posts: 647
i thoght the wheels were from "western" back in the eary episodes there was a "W" on the center cap, they quit using the centercaps altogether after the first season or 2. you can get the dixie air horn through j.c. whitney. i bought a set in 1988, had them in my first car, a '79 amc concord and later in a jeep CJ7. they were then in storage for over 15 years until last summer when someone in my trailer park kept blowing his every time he went out, i dug mine out and put in my truck. stilll works. (and mine was louder) i always thought the color was I&T tractor enamel, allis-chalmers orange. but i could be wrong. heres a "flag" idea, get a small sticker and put on your licence plate. i found one the size of the exp sticker. put it in the opposite corner (where the current county sticker would go) ive been stopped before (for speed) and not a word was said by the officer.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-16-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Confederate flag is part of this country's history. Shall be flown. But i see your location and i'm like wtF!!??? Come on boy.

Anywho.....The original "dixie" horns that were onthe show and on the cars...were purchased from JC Whitney....and that's where i bought mine.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-16-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 47
i do beleive the color is called "HEMI ORANGE"..., and you can gert kits with the 01 qand confederate flag and everything for just about every kind of vehicle if you really want to go Dukes of Hazzard on your truck.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-16-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by racsan
i thoght the wheels were from "western" back in the eary episodes there was a "W" on the center cap, they quit using the centercaps altogether after the first season or 2. you can get the dixie air horn through j.c. whitney. i bought a set in 1988, had them in my first car, a '79 amc concord and later in a jeep CJ7. they were then in storage for over 15 years until last summer when someone in my trailer park kept blowing his every time he went out, i dug mine out and put in my truck. stilll works. (and mine was louder) i always thought the color was I&T tractor enamel, allis-chalmers orange. but i could be wrong. heres a "flag" idea, get a small sticker and put on your licence plate. i found one the size of the exp sticker. put it in the opposite corner (where the current county sticker would go) ive been stopped before (for speed) and not a word was said by the officer.
The wheels in the majority of the show were American Racing Vectors (A similar version can still be bought as the Vector SE) But when the had center caps they were Carrol Shelby Hurricanes. The Symbol you refer too is the CS logo that Shelby uses to this day. And Trust me on the Color, Flame Red is Straight from the horses mouth, Richard Sephton, general Lee builder for WB. When the valuzet cars were built it was what ever they could find, so yes that may include other oranges, but all of the actual WB owned cars were Flame red.

Name:  100_0124_0001.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  68.8 KB

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaymk 237
i do beleive the color is called "HEMI ORANGE"..., and you can gert kits with the 01 qand confederate flag and everything for just about every kind of vehicle if you really want to go Dukes of Hazzard on your truck.
You will be veerrry disapointed with Hemi Orange. It is waaayyy To red.


~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-16-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01
Confederate flag is part of this country's history. Shall be flown. But i see your location and i'm like wtF!!??? Come on boy.

Anywho.....The original "dixie" horns that were onthe show and on the cars...were purchased from JC Whitney....and that's where i bought mine.

No they weren't! There was only one General Lee ever with a dixie horn, it was LEE3 The Close up car in Georgia and the only Georgia R/T. Some kid in an elcamino drove by the boars nest while they were filming and blasted the horn. One of the site scouts got in a car and chased him down. They paid many times the amount that the horn was worth to use it in the show. They mounted it in LEE3 you can hear it in the junkyard scene and when they trick Rosco into coming to the orphanage in the pilot episode. After the show got picked up they went back to Cali and had a Recording made using a Synthesizer and it was a drop that was added in post filming editing. Jc whitney only sells wolo horns, and the new generation of wolo horns are cheap and wear out quickly. Search for a Fiamm horn. Stay away from any 11 note Dixie horns, they General Lees was 12 notes. My friend Scott has an 11 note and it is annoying as hell.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-16-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN
No they weren't! There was only one General Lee ever with a dixie horn, it was LEE3 The Close up car in Georgia and the only Georgia R/T. Some kid in an elcamino drove by the boars nest while they were filming and blasted the horn. One of the site scouts got in a car and chased him down. They paid many times the amount that the horn was worth to use it in the show. They mounted it in LEE3 you can hear it in the junkyard scene and when they trick Rosco into coming to the orphanage in the pilot episode. After the show got picked up they went back to Cali and had a Recording made using a Synthesizer and it was a drop that was added in post filming editing. Jc whitney only sells wolo horns, and the new generation of wolo horns are cheap and wear out quickly. Search for a Fiamm horn. Stay away from any 11 note Dixie horns, they General Lees was 12 notes. My friend Scott has an 11 note and it is annoying as hell.

~HJ
just FYI i have had my JCwhitney dixie horn since i was 16 so around 2000. its been on my f-150 then sat for 8 months when i had the escort GT then went on my ranger.. so its around 7-8 years old and still works fine...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
just FYI i have had my JCwhitney dixie horn since i was 16 so around 2000. its been on my f-150 then sat for 8 months when i had the escort GT then went on my ranger.. so its around 7-8 years old and still works fine...

I have one too, bought it in 2000. it has an oil hole. Starting in about 2002 they started being made by a different vender and the now come without an oil hole. These have been known not to last. Also if you want the closest to show accurate the Fiamm is the closest. Someone in the General Lee club is working on a New electronic one that will replicate the shows 100%. He is the guy who sells the electronic “Whoosh Whoosh” that most KITT replicas have. My Wolo still works as far as I know but it sits on a shelf. I Found Fiamm and never looked back. The majority of the General Lee replicas out there have switched to Fiamm over the last ten or so years. Their is also a company that makes metal Dixie horns, name escapes me, but they are really expensive. I never heard a set in person.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truck i ran into at Ft Lee God,Country,FORD Ford Snapshots & Videos 14 09-12-2010 07:10 PM
99 troy lee b4000 pdwebles Member Introductions 6 07-07-2010 07:06 PM
the troy lee mazda cobra 1 Suspension Tech 4 11-20-2007 09:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.