Exterior Semi-Tech General discussion of exterior for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Styleside or Flareside...

Old 01-04-2019
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millington
Posts: 49
Styleside or Flareside...

This will come on like a dumb question. Is flareside and styleside the same thing? A parts catalog refers to both for a bed that has steps behind the cab. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 14
Looks like you've not gotten a response, so in case you are still looking for an answer... Flareside is commonly referred to as step side. Styleside has no steps- the entire bed is flush with the cab.
Old 03-21-2019
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů
iTrader: (12)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,290
I didn't see this thread.
The Flairside or Stepside is also known as a Steppie with the rear fenders on the outside of the bed, the Styleside is more common with its plain straight sides.

Which of these are you interested in, which do you have ?
Old 03-22-2019
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millington
Posts: 49
Thanks y'all, I got it now. Was just a matter of knowing what the manufacturer called it.
Old 03-23-2019
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,523
The origin of the name "pickup" truck is unknown, but Studebaker was the first to use it in 1913 and by the 1930's "pick-up" truck(always with hyphen) was in common use in North America

Trucks either had flat beds or rear wheel fenders on the outside of the bed, no name just a standard truck bed

1955 Chevy Cameo changed all that, first US made pickup truck with wheel wells IN the bed, and smooth outside surface from cab to the rear, no wheel wells sticking out

Chevy called it a Fleetside bed.........after a few years to see if people liked it, lol
And the now old style bed, they called Stepside because it now had to have a name of its own

Ford used Styleside because they didn't want to copy Chevy, so styleside and fleetside mean the samething, no wheel wells on the outside of the bed
And Ford calls a Stepside bed, a Flareside, because Chevy uses Stepside
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
General Ford Ranger Discussion
09-09-2013 08:05 AM
Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc.
06-10-2013 11:29 AM
1" & 3" Body Lifts
03-04-2012 08:18 AM
General Ford Ranger Discussion
02-26-2012 09:00 PM
General Ford Ranger Discussion
03-16-2011 07:44 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Styleside or Flareside...

Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.