Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.

How to make your own TPMS bands... for $3!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010
Level III Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How to make your own TPMS bands... for $3!

Thought I'd throw this up here for those of you who are cheap like me... lol

I've got new wheels ready to go on when I get my Superlift installed, and I wanted to keep my TPMS functioning and I didn't want to have the light on my dash at all times.
I check my tire pressures regularly, but it's a good back up if I'm on the road or trail and start losing pressure in a tire. It's easy enough not to notice before you damage a tire further or even a rim depending on the terrain.

I know I could have just bought the actual Ford bands or the ones off American Muscle, but here's how I made my own today for $3 each.

As most of you know, the replacement bands are basically just big 3/8" wide hose clamps. They go through 7/16" slots in the sensor cradles to hold them in place.

I started out with a box of #104 size hose clamps I got from work, only these are the marine grade ones that are completely stainless steel, including the screws.

Two of these joined together are pretty much the perfect size for a 15" rim. If you have 16" rims they MIGHT be long enough but I doubt it. You could always either join 3 smaller ones together or Breeze makes a "Make-a-Clamp" kit where you can make any size clamp you want. The only problem is that regular hose clamps that are over 1/2" diameter are all 1/2" wide.

I took a piece of 7/16" key stock and clamped it centered on the hose clamp with vise-grips and took it to the bench grinder. It's not centered below, I just threw them on quick for the picture.

Here's what they look like after. I just trimmed off enough to slide the cradle on and to leave enough room to join the clamp together.

That's pretty much it, I think they're going to work just fine. What I saved making my own will easily pay for getting my new tires and wheels mounted and balanced! Here's a couple pics of the completed clamp and how it fits on the rim. I know this is a pretty simple thing but it may help some of you looking to save a little cash on some overpriced hose clamps.

Old 02-28-2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dern man that's pretty slick! So this is to keep a tire pressure sensor working properly? I can't say I know much about TPMS.

Old 02-28-2010
Level III Supporter
It's to take my sensors out of my stock wheels and put them onto my new wheels. The bands on the stock wheels are not reusable, so I had to either buy new bands for $20-25ish each or make my own.

Old 02-28-2010
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats cool, you might have to add a few extra wheel weights but that shouldn't be a problem.
good outside the box thinking!

I recognize those wheels you bastard! another person with the wheels mounted before me.

Old 02-28-2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FULLSCALE
It's to take my sensors out of my stock wheels and put them onto my new wheels. The bands on the stock wheels are not reusable, so I had to either buy new bands for $20-25ish each or make my own.
Thats sweet man. Good way to spend $12 instead of $100!

Old 02-28-2010
KLC
RF Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good idea! Although Discount Tire will install the TPMS sensors for free. At least they did for me.

Old 02-28-2010
Level III Supporter
Originally Posted by RangOH
Thats cool, you might have to add a few extra wheel weights but that shouldn't be a problem.
good outside the box thinking!

I recognize those wheels you bastard! another person with the wheels mounted before me.
I'm sure there will be a fair bit of weight on there anyways... didn't think it would be a big deal.

You may still have yours mounted before me, I probably won't even be starting my lift for another couple weeks and I just found out my tires are backordered!

Old 02-28-2010
Level III Supporter
Originally Posted by KLC
Good idea! Although Discount Tire will install the TPMS sensors for free. At least they did for me.
That's surprising that they would, considering the price of the bands. We don't have Discount Tire here anyways!

Old 02-28-2010
awsome dude i thought about the same thing when i ordered mine but i didnt know they made hose clamps that big note to self not to waste 60 bucks next time

did you put double sided stickey tape on the backside of the cradles? if not they may spin over time
and are the cradles mounted 180 degrees from the valve stems also did you notice the sensors have a certain edge the goes toward the outer flange of the new rims

you probley noticed all that before hand im just double checking for ya

looks really good i mounted mine on the new rims last week it is exactly the same thing ill post some pics up later

Edit: i see now you put 2 clamps together the ones in the kit were on giant 23" long one but this works just the same

Last edited by silverfox; 02-28-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2010
RF Veteran
Sometimes I wish I had TPMS and sometimes I'm glad I don't.

Old 02-28-2010
^True that.

Old 02-28-2010
KLC
RF Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerboy101
Sometimes I wish I had TPMS and sometimes I'm glad I don't.
There really aren't any advantages to having TPMS as far as I'm concerned. The rear disc brakes that come on the new Ranger's are a different story.

Old 03-01-2010
Level III Supporter
Originally Posted by silverfox
did you put double sided stickey tape on the backside of the cradles? if not they may spin over time
and are the cradles mounted 180 degrees from the valve stems also did you notice the sensors have a certain edge the goes toward the outer flange of the new rims
I will be peeling off the old tape and putting new stuff on before I mount them. I did know they need to be 180 deg. from the valve stem but I'll have a look at my sensors when I get my tires off to see which way they go. I haven't even seen the sensors up close before, I just borrowed a cradle from work to see if this was going to work!