Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

Fix the leak...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix the leak...?

Hey, recently I've noticed that when we have heavy rain my truck leaks some water in (if any of you watched the nascar race at MIS this weekend you'll know about the rain we've been getting here lately as I'm about 6 miles from MIS). Anyways, I'm not exactly sure where the water is leaking in at, so I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on where it could be coming from and the best way to seal it.

Here are some pictures as to where water is found:

I always find the most water right here at the bottom, and anything that is down there at the time just gets soaked.

Next as I work my way up there is usually just a few drops of water on the back end of the truck, not a whole lot but enough to be visible.

Finally, right up near the window I find a few drops of water which is where I'm guessing the water is coming in at. As far as I can tell it seems sealed good and doesn't let water in. Obviously though it's coming in from somewhere...so any ideas on where else to look or what to do?

Old 06-19-2006
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
either your window seal or third brake light seal. Third brake light is above your window. Sorry im at work so i gotta look like im busy haha.

Aaron

Old 06-19-2006
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
either your window seal or third brake light seal.
I had a problem with my 3rd brake light leaking, they replaced it under warrenty. I think it was the seal. Unfortunately you aren't under warrenty anymore.

Old 06-19-2006
RF Veteran
its a small thing tho, easy to fix himself. PRolly caulk would fix it up. I bet if you searched the forums someone has repaired the same thing.

Old 06-19-2006
yeah i have the same thing, just havent gotten around to fixing it.. although its my XM antenna causing the prob ( i have it ran through the 3rd brake light), i say just get some clear sealant and go at it!

Old 06-19-2006
I just did a search on people with a leak in their third brake light, and most of them seem to have wet headliners. Mine isn't wet at all, just near the top of the window and down at the bottom.

Old 06-19-2006
reproduce the leak, take a hose and just run it along the top of the window, if it leaks, then obviously its the window.. if nothing from that, take it and run it along the 3rd brake light and see if water drips down the window on the inside... that should help ya.. good luck

Old 06-19-2006
RF Veteran
Glad you searched. I guess you could basically have a friend spray your truck with water on back window and third brake light and see which lets water through. Just have to do deductive reasoning. Rearwindows can be resealed on.

Old 06-23-2006
Ok, so I think I found out where the water inside is coming from -- but I still can't pinpoint where the water is getting into the truck from. I took off the rear speaker behind my drivers seat and there was A LOT of condensation on the metal behind the speaker. We ran a hose all over the back part of the window trying to see if it was a seal that it was coming in through from but had no luck with that. Going to go get some black caulk and reseal the back part around the window anyways...but where in the hell could water be coming in from to get behind the speaker there and then onto the small storage thing??

Old 06-24-2006
Ok, so it hasn't rained here in a few days and I haven't drove my truck in a few days either, so I take a look inside and my truck has a mildewish smell. I take a look in the back and there is STILL water in there. I peeled back the carpeting in the back and there is still water condensation underneath, more than 3 days after the last rain! How is the water getting in there?!?

Water has been behing the rear speaker:

In the small storage area behind the seat, still puddling up:

And underneath the carpet:

Is this a leaky window or something else? The water seems to be coming in behind the speaker, and puddling up underneath the carpet, then seeping in through the screw holes. Please help

Old 06-24-2006
RF Veteran
well I dunno man, it should be easy to find. Just pull stuff apart and follow the water. Reseal your window and 3rd brakelight. The water probably isn't evaporating away.

Do you have a sunroof?

Sorry it's hard to give advice without saying just get out there and pull stuff apart and track where the water is coming from. hmm, make sure your door window seal is working properly too! The rear door, if you're a 4 door. Not your front door.

Aaron

Old 06-24-2006
It's just a 2 door regular cab, no sunroof...We did actually run the hose yesterday on it and no water leaked in from what I could see. I was looking to where the water already was and not a drop came in. That's why I'm wondering if it even is the rear window or brake light because nothing came in while the hose was running...the truck stinks now too :(

Old 06-24-2006
RF Veteran
Open up the doors and run a fan in it to dry out the truck then hit it with some febreze, or there's someway to clean trucks well.

damn man that's hard to figure out. Half of that water is condensation. The other half is standing water.

Old 06-24-2006
RF Veteran
when my 3rd brake light leaked my headliner was not wet at all

Old 06-24-2006
if its teh 3rd brake light then just go to teh hardware store get soem greatstuff foam and line the edge of the metal under the light

Old 06-24-2006
Yeah, I just went back out there and did it myself this time. I left the hose running on the 3rd brake light instead of trusting someone else to...and water ran in this time. It came in right along the sliding window, overflowed just a tad and then behind the speaker to where it's been pooling. Kinda pisses me off that yesterday I sat inside while my dad ran the hose but didn't leave it on one spot long enough for it to run in. Thanks for the info though and I should have just trusted everyone that it was the 3rd brake light right off the bat.

Should I just fix the light with some caulk or extra rubber, or go out and buy a new one?

Old 06-25-2006
mine was leaking onto my seatbelt and driver side floorboard.
but i just got a new seal from ford and it seems to be dry now.
someone used a rubber ring once but im not sure.

Old 06-26-2006
my back window was the problem of my leak, some clear silicone stopped it. Since i'm not one to care about "butchered" fixes, i just slapped some up there around the top of the window seal, did that the first day we had heavy rain, second day of heavy rain, dry as can be in the back