4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

fast clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fast clicking noise

I have been having a really fast clicking noise in my engine when I rev and when I accelerate. Its pissing me off. I tried to determine where the noise was coming from but I had no luck. Has anyone had this problem before. I have a bama chip could it have something to do with that? Also when I checked my oil it was low and I had to add more, but I haven't noticed any leaks at all. Does anbody have a clue on what it might be?

Old 09-24-2006
timing chain rattle??? mines got that....

Old 09-24-2006
exhuast leak...is more than likely what it is...does it do it very quitley when its idleing???? and whenever you give it gas or keep it at a sustained speed with highr RPMs it clicks?? if so...it is more than likely an exhuast leak...I have had to take mine in twice so far...and its doin it again, i dont think it hurts anything, its just like u said annoying...LOL...its not much to get fixed usually just a gasket on your manifold or also underneath ur passenger door where the exhuast pipe comes out theres a connection, it has two springs on both sides and a hard wire mesh gasket there, that could be bad...but most of the time it comes from your manifold, you could try to make sure ur manifold bolts are tight...thats what I think it is...

Old 09-24-2006
Originally Posted by DUB Offroad Edition
timing chain rattle??? mines got that....
I dunno maybe. What does it sound like?

Originally Posted by bmb005
exhuast leak...is more than likely what it is...does it do it very quitley when its idleing???? and whenever you give it gas or keep it at a sustained speed with highr RPMs it clicks?? if so...it is more than likely an exhuast leak...I have had to take mine in twice so far...and its doin it again, i dont think it hurts anything, its just like u said annoying...LOL...its not much to get fixed usually just a gasket on your manifold or also underneath ur passenger door where the exhuast pipe comes out theres a connection, it has two springs on both sides and a hard wire mesh gasket there, that could be bad...but most of the time it comes from your manifold, you could try to make sure ur manifold bolts are tight...thats what I think it is...
Ya it does do it very quietly when its idleing. But when i get into high rpms it seems to go away, but when i sustain my speed at around 2500 rpms it clicks when giving it gas. I kind of guessed that it was an exhaust gas leak, but wasn't sure. I will check it out tomorrow. Where can you pick up new gaskets from?

Old 09-24-2006
If your year has EGR i'd also check the connections for the EGR tube(s).

Old 09-24-2006
clicking noise, have you fiddled around w/ your a/c and noticed any difference in the noice? i had a clicking once and it was something stuck in my a/c unit

Old 09-25-2006
my a/c fan gets leaves in it from time to time and makes this nasty sounding clicking noise, it's annoying..

Old 09-25-2006
Where are the egr tubes at? I took it into meinke and they said that it wasn't an exhaust leak. It is also not the timing chain. This scares me because they said it was an engine noise. It might be the main bearing. I hope not. I also checked the a/c and didn't notice a difference in the noise. It was exactly the same. Any other ideas?

Old 09-26-2006
Guess what? ****! MY WORST NIGHTMARE CAME TRUE! #1 piston was knocking which sucks! I change my oil every 3 thousand miles and there was no leaks. Ford said that they are gonna probably help me out since the car only has 40000 miles on it which is good, but an engine still shouldn't do that at that milege. I dunno what I am gonna do. Anybody got an engine sitting around?

Old 09-26-2006
damn bro, sorry hear about that, sucks because it happened at 40k miles!

Old 09-26-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with only 40,000 miles, that sucks

Old 09-26-2006
been ******* it??? stomping on the gas....pulling heavy shyt?? those could be factors...

Old 01-29-2007
I have the same type of noise, except it only happens when I accelerate..Not while idling or at high RPM

I'm officially gonna freak out now, since I just had the tranny rebuild, and transfer case motor replaced under warranty 56k miles on the truck. cost was 3700 bucks, I still had to pay 350 bucks out of my pocket

Now and engine ticking noise....