Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.
View Poll Results: RCD or Superlift
RCD
73.08%
Superlift
26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

RCD or Superlift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCD or Superlift?

Ive looked though hundreds of pages over both brands of lifts and come up with nothing, so I want to see what the forum thinks is the better lift.

Last edited by k.blakeley; 08-08-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: still learnin
Old 08-08-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hands down RCD but the cost is more. If you have the cash don't even think twice just go with the RCD otherwise I think you will regret it.

Old 08-08-2007
Lost in Nowhere
Rcd

Old 08-08-2007
When i lift mine im going to pay the little extra that it costs and get the RCD. Id rather not have to worry about those damm torsion bars hanging down!

Old 08-08-2007
No kudos for Superlift??

Old 08-08-2007
Nahh no kudos for superlift. Unless you just want to lift your truck to make it look better and never take it offroad.

Old 08-08-2007
RF Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RCD is 10000x better

Old 08-08-2007
how can you look thru 100's of pages on this topic and find nuthin? were your eyes closed??

Old 08-08-2007
who?
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i think 2500 is too much for a lift kit that you need to buy heavier coils for just so it works better on the truck. then their little driveshaft spacer does not work worth a crap. or how about having to use the smaller rotors.
i think the kit has better quality than the Superlift but i dont think they have all the problems taken care of or are they telling the customer about it.

I hear Superlift has finally recouped all the R&D on the kit and the price is coming down some.

Old 08-08-2007
I say super lift because you can always take it off.

And about 70% of the people I personally know have taken them off or moved on to something more.

Old 08-08-2007
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superlift, just b/c it's all drop down.

I could never spend 2500 on a lift...i'd just buy another truck.

Old 08-08-2007
I have the RCD with a Superlift front drive shaft and love it. I have some stiffer coil-overs on backorder and then the truck will sit just right.

Old 08-08-2007
Lost in Nowhere
Zabeard made a good point though, after you spend all that money then you have to buy all these extras to get it just right. But I still think it is the best kit.

Old 08-08-2007
who?
o its a good kit, just you will have 3000 in it to make it work well

Old 08-08-2007
Might as well do a SAS for 3 k lol.

Old 08-08-2007
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zabeard
i think 2500 is too much for a lift kit that you need to buy heavier coils for just so it works better on the truck. then their little driveshaft spacer does not work worth a crap. or how about having to use the smaller rotors.
i think the kit has better quality than the Superlift but i dont think they have all the problems taken care of or are they telling the customer about it.

I hear Superlift has finally recouped all the R&D on the kit and the price is coming down some.

yea sometimes i wish i would of just gone with the superlift. just cause rcd is nice but the coils suck *****. and the welding ahh i havent done it yet, will i? maybe

Old 08-08-2007

And there's welding involved..........

But here's my take on the matter......

I'm contemplating pulling a Sean Spivey. That is, eventually I may go with the DBR LT kit. BUT...

I'd rather shell out for the RCD kit, F31 deavers, drop to 11.28 rotors (for mid-year 03+ rangers), and have coilovers over having the t-bars and stacked lift blocks. I like the ride a lot better than my t-bar setup.

I would have gone with the DBR LT kit, but let's do the break down:

1) front fiberglass fenders - approx. $400
2) DBR kit - $2999
3) King coilovers (because DBR kit doesn't come with COILS!) - $1700
4) Deaver LT rear leaf springs - $525+ (I paid 525 for the F31s, not sure what the LT ones run but I think it was same)
5)Bed cage - I have no idea $$$$
6)DBR front tube bumper and skid plate - $450
7) anyone feel free to add anything else I've over looked

pricing so far just listing the above.......$6074+

At that price, let alone what I've got into the RCD kit, I could pay my truck off or (RCD kit figures) paid 60% of what I owe off.

Old 08-08-2007
doc
I had the SL kit on my ranger for prob 4 or 5 years. I off roaded it all the time(many can tell of my endeavors), never let me down... And at half the price of the RCD I would do it again.

Old 08-08-2007
Originally Posted by Lefty04LevelII

I'm contemplating pulling a Sean Spivey. That is, eventually I may go with the DBR LT kit. BUT...

I'd rather shell out for the RCD kit, F31 deavers, drop to 11.28 rotors (for mid-year 03+ rangers), and have coilovers over having the t-bars and stacked lift blocks. I like the ride a lot better than my t-bar setup.

I would have gone with the DBR LT kit, but let's do the break down:

1) front fiberglass fenders - approx. $400
2) DBR kit - $2999
3) King coilovers (because DBR kit doesn't come with COILS!) - $1700
4) Deaver LT rear leaf springs - $525+ (I paid 525 for the F31s, not sure what the LT ones run but I think it was same)
5)Bed cage - I have no idea $$$$
6)DBR front tube bumper and skid plate - $450
7) anyone feel free to add anything else I've over looked

pricing so far just listing the above.......$6074+

At that price, let alone what I've got into the RCD kit, I could pay my truck off or (RCD kit figures) paid 60% of what I owe off.
You can get stuff alot cheaper then that. Well give and take lol

Its about 8k to do the front and rear and be done with it for life

Old 08-08-2007
doc
I find it funny that everyone seems to be enthralled by coils.. The sad part is that from all the stuff I read and real reviews preformed by disinterested third parties pretty much said you get nothing more for off road performance than what the t-bars brought... No extra flex no extra ground clearance(negligible) just a larger hole in your wallet and the rights to brag that you have coils.... Save your 3000... just do a solid axle swap, still will require welding and cutting and will be permanent just like the RCD and much better bang for you buck.

Old 08-08-2007
i know ill get flamed but what does rcd stand for?

Old 08-09-2007
who?
Race Car Dynamics or something to that effect.

Old 08-09-2007
who?
Originally Posted by Lefty04LevelII

oh i still think its a really good kit, just warning people that you could expect to spend more then you initially thought.

Old 08-09-2007
i think 2500 is too much for a lift kit that you need to buy heavier coils for just so it works better on the truck.
but at least i CAN adjust my spring rate.
then their little driveshaft spacer does not work worth a crap.
SL doesnt GIVE you a d/s solution either. you hafta buy the front shaft jus like if you wanted to do the RCD w/o the spacer.
or how about having to use the smaller rotors.
if you can feel the difference between a 11.28" and a 12" rotor on a street truck, lemme know. ive driven both back to back, and felt no difference on the street.

the difference in price comes straight from the fact that RCD uses bilstien shocks. thats it. its not half the cost for a SL. price shop around and its around $800-1000. you would easily spend that buyin lifted bils and a c/o kit.
the kits are basically the same, different designs of brackets, but same function; price difference = negligable. shackle and AAL vs. stacked blocks; price difference = blocks cheaper. both kits need front D/S attention.

as far as performance, stock to stock, they are about the same with a small advantage to RCD for better ground clearence under the cab. factor in the ability to tune your front spring rate(the real advantage to coils in the first place), and you CAN make the front end flex better. more articulation, nope. still stock amount of travel from both kits.

buy whatever kit YOU like better, and YOU can afford.

Old 08-09-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Race Car Dynamics or something to that effect.
yup....that is right......

for the money you will have in your RCD when you are done, do a SAS (Solid Axle Swap)......

Quick Reply: RCD or Superlift?