bu-bye :*( - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-18-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
bu-bye :*(

well, I traded my ranger for an 01 Xterra today.
I hated to do it, but there simply wasnt enough room in the ranger when the family had to go somewhere, and as my truck was the most reliable vehicle I had...
it was just time to get something big enough for my family.
here is a picture of our trip down to my mothers for Xmas:
Attached Thumbnails
bu-bye :*(-ranger-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
oh, and I will be getting another ranger down the road, once my biz starts picking up again :)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2011
Jrevans2002's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Ill
Posts: 560
yeah, it not much for more then two people....I found that we both can't get in it at the same time either...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2011
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Where's the pics of the new ride?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2011
03edge's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 1,031
yeah that baby seat looks pretty crammed in that jump seat......understandable trade for sure. pics of the new ride?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2011
Marchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
well, I traded my ranger for an 01 Xterra today.
I hated to do it, but there simply wasnt enough room in the ranger when the family had to go somewhere, and as my truck was the most reliable vehicle I had...
it was just time to get something big enough for my family.
here is a picture of our trip down to my mothers for Xmas:
I would have traded in the unreliable vehicles first, but that's just me. Nice pick-up, i like the way the Xterra drives. She is a gas hog however so watch out.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2011
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
shoulda bought a exploder. oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2011
hozII's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
LOL! i feel your pain!! i have a reg cab and a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old..the 3 yr old is in a car seat on the pass side and the 6 yr old is in middle with lap belt...and yes he's big enough now to be outta a car seat now...thank goodness!! lol but yeah there's no safe way to have everyone including wife in it...im gonna keep mine but lookin at a new explorer for wife and keepin her escape. that way we have 2 vehicles that everyone can ride in if needed!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
by the time I got home it was too dark, but I will be posting pics tomorrow.

Ive tried everything I could to avoid this. Ive gone through no less than 5 cars in the past 2 yrs trying to have both my truck and a family vehicle. every single one of them ended up not being even remotely as reliable as my truck, which made the ranger the vehicle I drove the most (which put a ton of miles on it, Ive actually put almost twice as many miles in the past 3 yrs than I did in the previous 3 yrs since buying the truck in 05....)
I considered an exploder, but the very fact that its known by that name means I dont want it
this was a good trade, more for me than the person I traded with, but he might be thinking the same thing.
the gas mileage is the one thing I am not overly happy with, its EPA rating is slightly poorer than my ranger, but on the opposite end of things, it is 5 spd manual, so I should be able to eek out a tad better mpg than its EPA.
BTW Josh, the Xterra is the same color as your ranger, still not sure how I feel about that...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2011
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cordova, TN
Posts: 183
things to watch out for on your xterra...

catalytic converters... they WILL go out (you have 4 by the way).
cracked exhaust manifolds.
knock sensor... it WILL go out.
Numerous coolant leaks
Numerous oil leaks

These are just a few things I had wrong with mine. There was more but I'm tired and can't think of what else right now. If you join the nissan forums you'll find that almost everyone has the same problems. Don't want to scare you, but my ranger is WAY more reliable.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-18-2011
evilclown312's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Logan ohio
Posts: 2,772
Sucks to see the truck go, but get some pictures up of the new one :)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-18-2011
__Arod__'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 287
Priorities man. Totally understandable! Hope you enjoy the ride for now!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2011
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
nice pickup but in addition to other things mentioned, xterras absolutley KILL gas ... i know a girl with a stock 02 4x4 auto that generally gets 13 ... 15 if shes super light footed

another buddy is lifted with an 01 manual 4x4on 32s and gets 12.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplayloudly View Post
things to watch out for on your xterra...

catalytic converters... they WILL go out (you have 4 by the way).
cracked exhaust manifolds.
knock sensor... it WILL go out.
Numerous coolant leaks
Numerous oil leaks

These are just a few things I had wrong with mine. There was more but I'm tired and can't think of what else right now. If you join the nissan forums you'll find that almost everyone has the same problems. Don't want to scare you, but my ranger is WAY more reliable.
thanks for the points of interest on the Xterra David, I'll def keep them in mind and keep an eye on those things.
some of the specs of the tera:
3.3L v6
122k
5 spd manual
2wd.

the manual is going to save me the most on gas using hypermiling techniques. the tank is only like 16g, which I wasnt expecting. from my drive home last night from Naples (115miles, 50/50 cty/hwy) I used 1/3 of a tank on the Xterra, which is pretty much the same I would have used on the Ranger with a 19g[?] tank. which isnt really making me all too happy, but I can live with it for a short time, until I clean this one up and fix the few exterior/interior things, mostly of which involves a heavy detailing, but a couple things need repainting on the outside.

as promised, here is a pic, I'll have more later on as its raining and I was able to get this only by braving a short break in the rain
Attached Thumbnails
bu-bye :*(-xterra.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2011
hozII's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
by the time I got home it was too dark, but I will be posting pics tomorrow.

Ive tried everything I could to avoid this. Ive gone through no less than 5 cars in the past 2 yrs trying to have both my truck and a family vehicle. every single one of them ended up not being even remotely as reliable as my truck, which made the ranger the vehicle I drove the most (which put a ton of miles on it, Ive actually put almost twice as many miles in the past 3 yrs than I did in the previous 3 yrs since buying the truck in 05....)
I considered an exploder, but the very fact that its known by that name means I dont want it
this was a good trade, more for me than the person I traded with, but he might be thinking the same thing.
the gas mileage is the one thing I am not overly happy with, its EPA rating is slightly poorer than my ranger, but on the opposite end of things, it is 5 spd manual, so I should be able to eek out a tad better mpg than its EPA.
BTW Josh, the Xterra is the same color as your ranger, still not sure how I feel about that...
HEY!! Thats awsome man!! you have to do what works for you and your family!! thats different for all of us..lol btw thats my old ranger..yeah i know i need a new avatar!! I do like the yellow xterra's.......lots of things you can do to those!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-19-2011
03crewcabranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mty, Mx
Posts: 1,031
Family comes first all the time. 122k miles don't sound bad at all. As you said, it sure need some detailing, but nothing major. Looks like the gray on the flares and mud flaps is fading.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-19-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03crewcabranger View Post
Family comes first all the time. 122k miles don't sound bad at all. As you said, it sure need some detailing, but nothing major. Looks like the gray on the flares and mud flaps is fading.
it is, that is going to be the 2nd thing I do (after detailing the int)
then I will look into painting that front end to match.
also getting rid of those stickers... just... yuck.

all in all, Im happy
it drives great, I had a very comfortable ride home yesterday.
the stereo isnt all that bad either, even though its a hack job with the stock head (they used the rear speaker outputs for a sub so all it has is front and sub). but sounds decent enough and will work for now. I may throw a pioneer HU I have sitting here in it later on, that has pre-amp outs, that way at least I can get my full range sound back.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-19-2011
03crewcabranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mty, Mx
Posts: 1,031
Yeah.. those stickers need to go. Nissans usually have a comfortable ride. An aunt has a Xtrail (not sure if you guys get those), but it sure is nice to drive.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-19-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03crewcabranger View Post
Yeah.. those stickers need to go. Nissans usually have a comfortable ride. An aunt has a Xtrail (not sure if you guys get those), but it sure is nice to drive.
I dont think we get those here in the US
simply cant understand why other countries get some really good vehicles, and we get crap here, from the same damn companies !
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-19-2011
03crewcabranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mty, Mx
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
I dont think we get those here in the US
simply cant understand why other countries get some really good vehicles, and we get crap here, from the same damn companies !
Well, a Xtrail is like a feminine version of a Xterra. So i guess it's fine. lol. I've seen a few of those Xterras. I remember one with some mudterrains. It was all black. It looked awesome. It had a brushguard and some foglights. Not sure if Xterras can be 4x4, but it sure looked tough.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-19-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
yea, they come as 2x4 or 4x4, I wanted the 2wd strictly for the slight edge it gets in mpg.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-19-2011
ccernst's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 380
buddy of mine bought one a few years back...just like that but no stickers...we called it "the school bus"

hard to say how I remember it riding. I was usually in the far back, drunker than a skunk.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-19-2011
d0sitmatr's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 706
lol


I miss my ranger...
its def going to take some adjusting, I walked out earlier and almost tweaked til I remembered my ranger is gone :(
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-19-2011
Marchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccernst View Post
buddy of mine bought one a few years back...just like that but no stickers...we called it "the school bus"

hard to say how I remember it riding. I was usually in the far back, drunker than a skunk.
LOL, that reminds me of a story. So i'm out drinking with a couple buddy's one night. Our DD is driving his new Escape, he also owns a mustang gt. After a loooooooong night of drinking, the DD and I have to help our buddy walk out of the bar, we eventually make it back to the escape and throw our buddy in the back seat. After being driven around for 10 minutes buddy in the back who hasn't said a word the entire time peeps up, "hey man, the back seat of your stang is amazingly comfy and roomy, who knew there was this much space in the back of a sports car"

I look over at the driver and we just burst out laughing. We talk to our buddy the next day about his ride in the stang and he said all he remembers of the night was how comfy the back of my buddy's stang was. He still doesn't believe he got a ride in the escape that night.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-19-2011
nicky919's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sunny FLA
Posts: 347
What year is it? And around how much did it cost you? If you dont mind telling us.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bye Bye Fx4 JAMES7273 General Ford Ranger Discussion 16 10-16-2008 03:40 PM
bye bye ubolt! [email protected] General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 09-08-2008 07:09 PM
bye bye clutch number 2! Rangerboy03lvl2 Drivetrain Tech 31 10-22-2005 12:38 AM
bye bye cats jerrod07 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 19 08-25-2005 11:29 PM
Bye Bye Ranger ranger_punkin General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 05-09-2005 08:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.