Ford undecided on Ranger replacement? - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 01-18-2010
Sixt9coug's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Explain why Autozone, Advance Auto and Carquest autopart chains are choosing the Ranger over the F150. and explain why the Ranger's "fleet sales" are far ahead of the F150. ........................................... but as far as fleets go, the Ranger slaughters the F150 very badly because THEY'RE CHEAP.
You answered your own questions about why Ford isn't doing anything with the Ranger. Why invest into new engines, diesels and body configurations only to sell them at fleet discounts? Ford isn't in the business to sell Rangers CHEAP.

Even though the Ranger is cheap, the market is declining for them. Ford sold less than 50K of them last year. The Tacoma sold around 70K last year. The next best seller was way way behind either of those models so what sense does it make to invest in a unique platform in a declining segment? Alan Mullaly already stated that he wants to get away from the unique platforms worldwide. This is part of the reason for the Falcon, Mustang and MKR all being rumored to be on a shared platform next time around.

Its all good if you ask me. Id like to see a 3.5L Ecoboost in a Mustang that isn't computer limited by a weak sauce AWD transaxle.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-18-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Just because I'm bored

Quote:
Ford Motor Company: January 2009 Sales Figures
By Staff Report
Published: February 4, 2009

STRONG F-SERIES, FUSION SALES DRIVE FORD TO HIGHER RETAIL SHARE FOR FOURTH CONSECUTIVE MONTH

Ford’s F-Series truck and Fusion mid-size sedan helped Ford achieve a fourth consecutive month of retail market share increases
Total Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales were 39 percent lower in January than a year ago; Fleet sales were 65 percent lower and retail sales to individuals were 27 percent lower
Ford and overall industry sales in January were in line with company expectations; Retail demand appears to be stabilizing
Ford continues to align production and inventories with demand; January inventories totaled 420,000 vehicles, down 156,000 from prior year
Wow does that say ford F-series drove ford to highest sales???? It sure does!!!! Does it also say the fleet sales are down 67%??? It sure does!!! Does it say anything about the ranger helping sales??? No it doesn't!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixt9coug View Post
The Ranger has something that the F150 doesn't.... low profit margins. The reason the Ranger won't get updated has to do with that. Ford won't invest the time to put a V8 or a diesel into it because it wont sell. I for one don't think the compact truck warrants a V8. If you really need a V8 power and capabilities, then you don't need a compact. As was said above my post, Ford already builds the vehicle with 4 doors, a bed, a V8, a full frame and is smaller than an F150... and how is that selling? Yeah it's now and it's dead too.

I would like the Ranger to stay close to the same size. Something that slots in between the current model and the Tacoma (i think the Taco is too big). Keep it 4 cylinder and V6 ONLY and leave the body configurations alone except for adding a crew cab model. The 3.5 would be a nice V6 in it tuned to about 250hp. It already makes more than that in other NA applications. I wouldn't have a problem with the 2.0L Ecoboost motor being the base engine, but we know cost issues will prevent that in the fleet truck market. Put a decent NA 4 banger in there for the mileage models and the delivery trucks.

Too bad if they do all of that, it will cost as much as the current Taco. Oh well.


I see your point. why take the time to do that when you'll drive the price up (unless you do it after you buy it which would be stupid if it was brand new). I do want the ranger to stay but they can afford to change it some without retooling for that I'm sure of. At least offer another engine other than a choice of 2 engines( either the 2.3 I4 D.O.H.C or the 4.0 SOHC). They need to do something to change it up a bit that much we agree on.

Why do you think that?
That's a damn good question there.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-18-2010
Sixt9coug's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Just because I'm bored



Wow does that say ford F-series drove ford to highest sales???? It sure does!!!! Does it also say the fleet sales are down 67%??? It sure does!!! Does it say anything about the ranger helping sales??? No it doesn't!
December % Year-To-Date %
2009 2008 Change 2009 2008 Change
F-Series 48,209 41,580 15.9 413,625 515,513 -19.8
Ranger 4,503 3,855 16.8 55,600 65,872 -15.6


Its not even close. the F Series destroys the Ranger in anything when it comes to sales.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Just because I'm bored



Wow does that say ford F-series drove ford to highest sales???? It sure does!!!! Does it also say the fleet sales are down 67%??? It sure does!!! Does it say anything about the ranger helping sales??? No it doesn't!
Well Trent I just stated what I thought. No reason to attack me for it. I was wrong all you have to is say nope then post your proof. That attcking someone for something is indeed uncalled for dude. That's all you really have to do. If you attack me once more without provocation like you did I'll be reporting you dude. You owe me an apology for attacking me. I fI offended you with my comments then I'm sorry about that.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-18-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
If you got offended by that then you just need to log off. Next time try looking up stuff before you post information.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixt9coug View Post
December % Year-To-Date %
2009 2008 Change 2009 2008 Change
F-Series 48,209 41,580 15.9 413,625 515,513 -19.8
Ranger 4,503 3,855 16.8 55,600 65,872 -15.6


Its not even close. the F Series destroys the Ranger in anything when it comes to sales.
Well that was my mistake there on the comment i made ealier. I think that's a sad story about the ranger because I think they're really good trucks and should be doing better than they are is all. It's sad but true.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-18-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I bet Ford brings in record numbers even with the ranger gone. Look at their marketing right now, they market what sells. You never see a commercial for a ranger for a reason
I agree, Ford will never miss the Ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
If you got offended by that then you just need to log off. Next time try looking up stuff before you post information.
No I got offened when you attacked me. I intend to look up stuff from now yes. but no need to attack someone. I don't mind being prooved wrong because it gives me a change to learn a little bit and be philosophic about it. Just please quit attacking me. It's getting old.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-18-2010
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
My question is...

My question is if they do get rid of the ford ranger what will they replace it with and what will happen to this site? They did mention something about scaling down the F100 to the ranger's size but wouldn't it be more expensive than the ranger though?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-18-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Nothing will happen to this site. Just because they aren't making new ones doesn't mean all the old ones will go away too.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
Funny hahah. No he does it no matter what I say and I was being nice about it because it's starting to old really fast and it's also pissing me off to boot.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-18-2010
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
My question is if they do get rid of the ford ranger what will they replace it with and what will happen to this site? They did mention something about scaling down the F100 to the ranger's size but wouldn't it be more expensive than the ranger though?
If Ford discontinues the Ranger it doesn't mean all the ones still driving will need to be crushed so I assume R/F will still run strong seeing as many have put quite a bit of money into their trucks on here.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-18-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Funny hahah. No he does it no matter what I say and I was being nice about it because it's starting to old really fast and it's also pissing me off to boot.

I know, I'm such a bad person

Now back on topic
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-18-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
My question is if they do get rid of the ford ranger what will they replace it with and what will happen to this site? They did mention something about scaling down the F100 to the ranger's size but wouldn't it be more expensive than the ranger though?
This site will continue for quite sometime due to the Ranger's that are out there now.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Nothing will happen to this site. Just because they aren't making new ones doesn't mean all the old ones will go away too.
well yeah considering they made thousands of the trucks sure. I meant will there be a link for it's replacement? and what are they replacing the ranger with?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-18-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
If its a RBV (ranger based vehicle) a section will probably added on the site. Now if another site is linked thats all up to the admins.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I know, I'm such a bad person

Now back on topic
yeah we gotta have some fun around here don't we. I wonder what they'll be replacing the ranger with if or when they decide to do so with?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-18-2010
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
I think we are all getting too far ahead with this. In my view, just wait until it actually happens then look to see what goes on.

and i think they will put the Pinto back into production.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-18-2010
Sixt9coug's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Well that was my mistake there on the comment i made ealier. I think that's a sad story about the ranger because I think they're really good trucks and should be doing better than they are is all. It's sad but true.
I never said the Ranger was bad. I love my Ranger. In fact, I bought a new one in 09. It is outdated as all hell though and a replacement would require a large investment that may not be worth the effort unless costs can be absorbed through other channels such as volume, or volume through platform sharing. (much like the Flex can sell in relatively low numbers, yet still likely turn a profit due to its shared D3 chassis with with the Taurus, MKS and upcoming Explorer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
My question is if they do get rid of the ford ranger what will they replace it with and what will happen to this site? They did mention something about scaling down the F100 to the ranger's size but wouldn't it be more expensive than the ranger though?
Nothing will happen to this site. I'm an active member on www.mercurycougar.net and they haven't made a Cougar of any kind in almost 10 years now. They haven't made a Mustang shared chassis Cougar since 1973 and that is what the majority of the cars on that site are. The site still gets new members all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-18-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
It doesn't make sense for Ford to put a lot of money into the Ranger platform. More money for them = more money for us. Very few would buy a compact truck for full size money. Not to mention, Ford already has the Sport Trac, which is very close to what people want to see for the Ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
If its a RBV (ranger based vehicle) a section will probably added on the site. Now if another site is linked thats all up to the admins.
oh ok, you mean like with the Mazda B series trucks which is basicly the same as the ranger. That may be why they're considering getting rid of the ranger because doesn't Ford own Mazda? I'm pretty sure that they purchased Mazda years ago. That may be why the guy at autozone tried to tell me that my Ranger is an import which it is not.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-18-2010
Fenech627's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 908
wow
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-18-2010
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
oh ok, you mean like with the Mazda B series trucks which is basicly the same as the ranger. That may be why they're considering getting rid of the ranger because doesn't Ford own Mazda? I'm pretty sure that they purchased Mazda years ago. That may be why the guy at autozone tried to tell me that my Ranger is an import which it is not.
Ford currently owns Lincoln, Mercury, and Volvo.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre key mod but undecided about the back FX42008 Suspension Tech 17 01-26-2012 08:25 PM
undecided... fourliter dan Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 23 07-22-2010 06:53 PM
Front buffer replacement. (Shock replacement.) Hawklore Suspension Tech 4 01-19-2010 12:03 PM
old bushing replacement (1996 ford ranger) fletch12518 General Ford Ranger Discussion 19 01-04-2007 02:42 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.