How much $$$ to paint? (Rough Estimate) - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-09-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Icon5 How much $$$ to paint? (Rough Estimate)

Okay so I have a green truck right now that I want black, So I was wondering how much from start to finish could i get this done with? (Obvieously I know prices would be approximate)

I have an air compressor but no paint gun so I would have to buy one so if anyone has bought all the stuff and did a paint job and remember how much it cost that would be great!

Also i know prices would vary upon brand and stuff im talking all bottem line products here.

Also is there a how-to for this because I cant find one.

So i think all i need is

sand paper / (I think my dad has an electric sander for the house I could borrow) $?
Primer $?
Tape
Spray gun for compressor $?
Paint $?
Clearcoat? $?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 33
You have to have a budget because you can go from a few hundred buck to thousands of dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302RANGERAWD View Post
You have to have a budget because you can go from a few hundred buck to thousands of dollars.
Like i said im looking for very low budget it doesnt need to look pro eaither just decent so bottem line stuff is what im looking for just enough to get the job done.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2011
ZWilson07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkivi99 View Post
Okay so I have a green truck right now that I want black, So I was wondering how much from start to finish could i get this done with? (Obvieously I know prices would be approximate)

I have an air compressor but no paint gun so I would have to buy one so if anyone has bought all the stuff and did a paint job and remember how much it cost that would be great!

Also is there a how-to for this because I cant find one.

So i think all i need is

sand paper / (I think my dad has an electric sander for the house I could borrow) $?
Primer $?
Tape
Spray gun for compressor $?
Paint $?
Clearcoat? $?


First off are you sure you really want to paint this yourself? Not trying to be a dick but part of the reason why its so expensive is because its not just easy work and takes alot of practice to master. Its one thing to spray a bumper, its another to do an entire vehicles.

Theres so many parts it would take forever to explain which is why their isn't really many writeups on it around here.

But first, the price really depends on if you are going to, if buddies, backyard painters, or a big time shop is going to do it. Also are you going to do all the body work, and just have them prime, paint, clear? Or just have them paint and clear, not fix any dents or anything? Theres just sooo many variables it's ridiculous if you want a true and honest answer. Also depends on how high quality of paint you go and equipment. If your wanting a good shop to do it all expect to spend atleast acouple grand.

Second part

You'll need atleast a few guns, you could prolly get by with 1 but its just to be safe. Is your compressor strong enough and big enough to handle it, and do you have the proper setup? If you are going to attempt it yourself how do you plan on doing it, have a friend with a booth, garage, outside, what? Also id recommend you looking up details about paint because there is alot more to paint than just paint lol. Just products alone your looking at alot of different grits of sandpaper, usually around 5 to 6 is a good number depending on how you like to do things. Your going to need wax/grease removers, clean everything up, primer and activator for the primer, depending on the paint a base coat, top coat, and activators for such, hardners, clear, reducer etc. Thats not even getting into if your doing body work, and products for that, plenty of cups and things to mix up with, paper, tape. Just alot of things if you want it done right.

Just for reference, on the top portion of my 06 bumper, without doing any work to it as for as smoothing it out, or getting rid of the scratches or nothing. I have about $150-200 just in paint products and little things alone for a good medium quality job, and thats not including any equipment. So you really need to research it alot and figure out alot of things and how your going to want to go about this to get more descriptive answers and better range on prices. Good luck.

EDIT: sorry if something have already been mentioned, when I started writing this no1 had responded and by the time I finished acouple already snuck in before me lol. Ill add more specifics when you read and reply to this post.

Last edited by ZWilson07; 07-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 33
So we just went to the body store and picked up a 1/2 pint of paint a whole gallon of reducer and a whole of clear coat and a three piece air gun set(nominal quality ,nothing i would paint professionally with but pretty good). And the whole bit was somewhere south of 200 dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
First off are you sure you really want to paint this yourself? Not trying to be a dick but part of the reason why its so expensive is because its not just easy work and takes alot of practice to master. Its one thing to spray a bumper, its another to do an entire vehicles.

Theres so many parts it would take forever to explain which is why their isn't really many writeups on it around here.

But first, the price really depends on if you are going to, if buddies, backyard painters, or a big time shop is going to do it. Also are you going to do all the body work, and just have them prime, paint, clear? Or just have them paint and clear, not fix any dents or anything? Theres just sooo many variables it's ridiculous if you want a true and honest answer. Also depends on how high quality of paint you go and equipment. If your wanting a good shop to do it all expect to spend atleast acouple grand.

Second part

You'll need atleast a few guns, you could prolly get by with 1 but its just to be safe. Is your compressor strong enough and big enough to handle it, and do you have the proper setup? If you are going to attempt it yourself how do you plan on doing it, have a friend with a booth, garage, outside, what? Also id recommend you looking up details about paint because there is alot more to paint than just paint lol. Just products alone your looking at alot of different grits of sandpaper, usually around 5 to 6 is a good number depending on how you like to do things. Your going to need wax/grease removers, clean everything up, primer and activator for the primer, depending on the paint a base coat, top coat, and activators for such, hardners, clear, reducer etc. Thast not even getting into if your doing body work, and products for that, plenty of cups and things to mix up with, paper, tape. Just alot of things if you want it done right.

Just for reference, on the top portion of my 06 bumper, without doing any work to it as for as smoothing it out, or getting rid of the scratches or nothing. I have about $150-200 just in products and little things for a good medium quality job. So you really need to research it alot and figure out alot of things and how your going to want to go about this to get more descriptive answers and better range on prices. Good luck.

EDIT: sorry if something have already been mentioned, when I started writing this no1 had responded and by the time I finished acouple already snuck in before me lol. Ill add more specifics when you read and reply to this post.

1st - yes compressor is strong enough
2nd - have a friend that has done it that will help
3rd - have seen first time jobs on youtube that were not half bad (not pro) but didnt look like crap eaither which is why im going to attept it... it really cant look much worse than it does its hunter green and its peeling everywhere....
4th - I work in a welding shop where we have spechial chemicals to clean steel to make paint stick so i will probably clean with that.
5th - i have a big garage and huge roofing tarps that i will use to make a paint booth with fans and the big doors open for ventilation
6th - Im not a pro and neither is my friend but im not looking for a 2 thousand dollar paint job on a 2 thousand dollar truck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302RANGERAWD View Post
So we just went to the body store and picked up a 1/2 pint of paint a whole gallon of reducer and a whole of clear coat and a three piece air gun set(nominal quality ,nothing i would paint professionally with but pretty good). And the whole bit was somewhere south of 200 dollars.
Okay thanks so with the extra stuff i need it should be around 3-400 $$$
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2011
ZWilson07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkivi99 View Post
Okay thanks so with the extra stuff i need it should be around 3-400 $$$
PROBABLY with not to high quality of things. If I was you id budget atleast $500 for the route your trying to go. The little things add up super fast.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 33
Reds are expensive..blacks maybe not some much..I am sure you have seen the Dupli-color paint shops paints. But for a quart of jet black it's 35 dollars a quart for a whole truck you will probably need close to a gallon. (Again this paint job isn't show quality. ) And then about the same for clear and your set. Personally if you just wanted a new quick non show paint job,I would sand it and mask it and find a 69 dollar paint job deal.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
I would be willing to bet even though they claim to do it for hundreds and not thousands it is still going to be kind of expensive labor is what gets you its always the dam labor lol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 33
Yes,the labor will get you. But if you do the etching of the paint and all the masking and all they have to do is spray ,you will be in that hundreds range. But if you did all annoying work just go for it Haha. I mean body shops are about 85$/hour so think about it that way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2011
rangertamer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nebraska city nebraska
Posts: 75
i painted my truck just a couple months back. i bought a spray gun from harbor freight for $20 bucks. but i just shot my truck with rustoleum primer and then rustoleum fire red. so i only spent about $100. i just wanted to fix rust and the paint job that was on it looked horrible, but for a cheap paint job mine turned out pretty good. the prep work is what really sucks lol.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-10-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertamer View Post
i painted my truck just a couple months back. i bought a spray gun from harbor freight for $20 bucks. but i just shot my truck with rustoleum primer and then rustoleum fire red. so i only spent about $100. i just wanted to fix rust and the paint job that was on it looked horrible, but for a cheap paint job mine turned out pretty good. the prep work is what really sucks lol.
So did you do a clear coat? or is that not needed with high gloss paint?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gloucester County, Nj
Posts: 57
I don't know if you would want to do it but there are vocational school that have classes for mechanics and they learn how to rebuild/paint cars. All you do is slupply the paint and the kids do it for a project.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-10-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredranger96 View Post
I don't know if you would want to do it but there are vocational school that have classes for mechanics and they learn how to rebuild/paint cars. All you do is slupply the paint and the kids do it for a project.
Thats a great idea I didn't think about that, I wonder if I have a school like that near by.... I'll have to look into it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-10-2011
rangertamer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nebraska city nebraska
Posts: 75
with most of the paints they make now, you dont even need to use clear coat. i didnt use clear coat because if im out playing around and get a big scratch i can always touch it up, but with clear coat its hard to do touch ups.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertamer View Post
i painted my truck just a couple months back. i bought a spray gun from harbor freight for $20 bucks. but i just shot my truck with rustoleum primer and then rustoleum fire red. so i only spent about $100. i just wanted to fix rust and the paint job that was on it looked horrible, but for a cheap paint job mine turned out pretty good. the prep work is what really sucks lol.
Is the truck in your pictures the one you painted? and is that after you painted or before? Because that doesn't look bad at all.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-11-2011
MothMan999's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 858
Why not just take it to mayco and save yourself a whole lot of trouble
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2011
bkivi99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MothMan999 View Post
Why not just take it to mayco and save yourself a whole lot of trouble
Because its far away...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-11-2011
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
if you plan on doing a color change, dont forget about the door jams.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MothMan999 View Post
Why not just take it to mayco and save yourself a whole lot of trouble
yo man, I was with novarob (lifted 99) on saturday night when we saw you in chantilly. truck looks good man!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-11-2011
rangertamer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nebraska city nebraska
Posts: 75
yeah the truck in my pictures is the truck i painted. it looks pretty good, and that was the first truck ive ever painted. oh and remember after you paint it, wait atleast a month to wash and wax it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
estimate the price cost for V* swap -NEW PARTS ONLY Ranger_Johnny 8-Cylinder Tech 22 01-07-2008 10:07 PM
Estimate: Prerunner style guard. ShockFuel Fabrication & Tool Tech 13 09-09-2007 05:10 PM
I got my estimate sullys_ranger Exterior Semi-Tech 4 06-20-2007 03:43 PM
Rough estimate of cost of tinting (907)FAN-BOY General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 02-13-2006 07:01 PM
Give me an Estimate jodynich General Ford Ranger Discussion 20 11-29-2005 06:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.