I could use a little help - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
I could use a little help

A company is auctioning off a handful of Ford Rangers. A few 1999's, a few 2004's and 2005's.

They all have about the same mileage (85,000-115,000). They are all 4x4's.

They were well maintained and are in good physical condition but have high mileage.

If anyone has ever purchased a Ranger this way or if anyone has any advice (including fair market value/ what I can expect to pay) I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
I don't know about prices but if you could get on of the 04-05s with a 4.0 SOHC I'd go for it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Is any of the three model years better than another?

I like the lines on the 04's and 05's, but the 1999 is nice and probably a lot cheaper
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
Well I have a 2000 which is basically the same as the 99'. I love my truck without a doubt and the 4.0 OHV has nice low end grunt which I personally enjoy. I think the only thing I really prefer about the newer styles is the front end. It really looks better with the smaller headlight/corner light combo and the bumpers are a bit nicer I think. Otherwise they are both great!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek View Post
Well I have a 2000 which is basically the same as the 99'. I love my truck without a doubt and the 4.0 OHV has nice low end grunt which I personally enjoy. I think the only thing I really prefer about the newer styles is the front end. It really looks better with the smaller headlight/corner light combo and the bumpers are a bit nicer I think. Otherwise they are both great!
Thanks vans. I'm a little concerned with the mileage (85,000-115,000). My dad had an in-line six that lasted over 225,000. Can you expect the same performance in general from the 4.0?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
Well I have about 125,000 on mine and I have a friend w/ a 99 with 100,000 more than mine so that says something I think! The transmission seems to be the only weak link if I had to pick one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek View Post
Well I have about 125,000 on mine and I have a friend w/ a 99 with 100,000 more than mine so that says something I think! The transmission seems to be the only weak link if I had to pick one.
Wow that is what I was hoping to hear. I've always wanted a 4x4 Ranger and don't really care for the brand new look. The trannie sounds expensive.

The last 4x4 I had was a Jeep Commanche and it could take a beating off road. Have you had some fun with yours vans?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
Well Rangers are great man! I really love my truck and I have put a heck ton of time into it. I play with mine some but usually I try to keep it clean lol. I have an 85 Bronco that I keep around to do most of my off roading!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek View Post
Well Rangers are great man! I really love my truck and I have put a heck ton of time into it. I play with mine some but usually I try to keep it clean lol. I have an 85 Bronco that I keep around to do most of my off roading!
haha nice! I love the old Bronco's.

Did you do any kind of lift?
I was reading about torsion bar adjustments and suspension lifts. Torsion adjustments sound pretty economical.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
Yes I sure do. I have both a suspension lift and a body lift for around 7" of total lift. When I was stock height I cranked my torsion bars and it helped the look but boy did it ride like crap! Don't waste your money on torsion keys. You can just crank them to the desired height.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek View Post
Yes I sure do. I have both a suspension lift and a body lift for around 7" of total lift. When I was stock height I cranked my torsion bars and it helped the look but boy did it ride like crap! Don't waste your money on torsion keys. You can just crank them to the desired height.
Good advice. These things are fleet so they will need some love to get up to snuff. Can you get 17's under a torsion lift or are 16's max? They have steel 16's (I think) now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
Well its not so much the wheel size as it is the tire size. There are charts on the wheel/tire topic area that tell what size can be fit depending on the setup you have. When my tbars were cranked I easily fot 32"x10.50"s no problem. That's for a tbar cranked 4x4.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansnxtweek View Post
Well its not so much the wheel size as it is the tire size. There are charts on the wheel/tire topic area that tell what size can be fit depending on the setup you have. When my tbars were cranked I easily fot 32"x10.50"s no problem. That's for a tbar cranked 4x4.
Thanks for all the advice vans. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2010
vansnxtweek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,666
No problem! Hope it helped out some. Good luck with the truck purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2010
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
I would get the 04 or 05. In my opinion they look better and they are newer vehicles. If you can afford it...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Thanks. I'm a lot more reassured about the 4.0 now
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the ether
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Of War View Post
I would get the 04 or 05. In my opinion they look better and they are newer vehicles. If you can afford it...
They are regular cab, 6 ft beds. I'm hoping to see them go around 6k or 7k. I agree too about the looks. Of the last gen, this gen and next, they look the best.

What does a lift set you back?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could use some help here. Thoughts on loss of coolant.. guntruck 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 1 07-03-2013 07:08 PM
Really could use some help on wheels tipton8991 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 15 04-14-2011 11:51 PM
I could use some brake help/advice! Red_Ak_Ranger General Technical & Electrical 10 07-06-2007 06:05 AM
Newbie to wheels, could use some help... Zero Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 34 12-22-2004 02:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.