I need your opinion on something - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-01-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Icon5 I need your opinion on something

So one of my really good friends is in need for a truck and has given me a offer I almost cant refuse, but wanted your opinion.

He has offered to trade me my old 92 bmw that I sold him a while back as well as his 2005 focus zx3 ses. The bmw runs great, but isn't the prettiest. The focus needs a new clutch/tires and it has a vacuum leak. So I will be into it for maybe 1k to get it back on the road. I believe it has a little over 100k miles, but has far fewer then my truck. I'm considering it because even with money invested into the focus it'll still be worth more then the ranger value wise. Also the bmw if I sold it could probably get 1000-1500k out of it. The focus though could save me some cash in gas for a while and I eventually have the option to get another ranger. So what do you think I should do?

My truck in current shape is probably worth 3000-3500 with the right buyer. The focus fixed is probably worth 5k or so and the bmw 1500ish. He isn't asking for any cash due to the focus needing some minor repairs. So should I do it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Take it man.
I buy and sell cars like that all the time. my usual rule is: if i'm into the car more than i paid for it, then its not worth it. However. That focus is still under miles. so your way ahead on that. The bimmer i'd just turn around and sell outright.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-01-2011
FULLSCALE's Avatar
Level III Supporter

iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clinton, Ontario
Posts: 8,181
If you don't need the Ranger or don't mind selling it then it sounds like a good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2011
ZWilson07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
So one of my really good friends is in need for a truck and has given me a offer I almost cant refuse, but wanted your opinion.

He has offered to trade me my old 92 bmw that I sold him a while back as well as his 2005 focus zx3 ses. The bmw runs great, but isn't the prettiest. The focus needs a new clutch/tires and it has a vacuum leak. So I will be into it for maybe 1k to get it back on the road. I believe it has a little over 100k miles, but has far fewer then my truck. I'm considering it because even with money invested into the focus it'll still be worth more then the ranger value wise. Also the bmw if I sold it could probably get 1000-1500k out of it. The focus though could save me some cash in gas for a while and I eventually have the option to get another ranger. So what do you think I should do?

My truck in current shape is probably worth 3000-3500 with the right buyer. The focus fixed is probably worth 5k or so and the bmw 1500ish. He isn't asking for any cash due to the focus needing some minor repairs. So should I do it?


Are you talking about the expo or ranger?

I assume by you saying truck you mean your ranger. If so than yes id def do it in a heartbeat. I like my ranger like anyone else does but you already have a 4x4 expo which is basically the cousin to the ranger and for that kind of deal you'd be stupid to pass it up. Hell you could get both of his vehicles, sell one and still buy your same truck over and keep one of the vehicles you got from him. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Take it man.
I buy and sell cars like that all the time. my usual rule is: if i'm into the car more than i paid for it, then its not worth it. However. That focus is still under miles. so your way ahead on that. The bimmer i'd just turn around and sell outright.
I am into the truck about what I could sell it for, but still would have a good profit margin doing the trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLSCALE View Post
If you don't need the Ranger or don't mind selling it then it sounds like a good deal.
I like the truck, but having my little 6x8 trailer it can do truck duties behind the explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
Are you talking about the expo or ranger?

I assume by you saying truck you mean your ranger. If so than yes id def do it in a heartbeat. I like my ranger like anyone else does but you already have a 4x4 expo which is basically the cousin to the ranger and for that kind of deal you'd be stupid to pass it up. Hell you could get both of his vehicles, sell one and still buy your same truck over and keep one of the vehicles you got from him. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I was talking about the ranger. I agree thats why I am seriously considering it and I know the focus it's whole life as they bought it new. I was there when they signed the papers.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-01-2011
ZWilson07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
I am into the truck about what I could sell it for, but still would have a good profit margin doing the trade.



I like the truck, but having my little 6x8 trailer it can do truck duties behind the explorer.



Yeah I was talking about the ranger. I agree thats why I am seriously considering it and I know the focus it's whole life as they bought it new. I was there when they signed the papers.


Sounds like a no brainer than, do it man.

BTW on a side note, ive never really been a fan of your body style expo's compared to like the mid 00's and such, but everytime I see one of your posts I look at it and I like the look it has alot. Not alot done, but just simple, clean and tastefully done. Respect!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-01-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
Sounds like a no brainer than, do it man.

BTW on a side note, ive never really been a fan of your body style expo's compared to like the mid 00's and such, but everytime I see one of your posts I look at it and I like the look it has alot. Not alot done, but just simple, clean and tastefully done. Respect!
Thanks man I am guessing your talking about the gen1 explorers? I use to have a sport a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-01-2011
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Sounds like a good deal. If you were closer I'd buy the BMW from you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-2011
ZWilson07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
Thanks man I am guessing your talking about the gen1 explorers? I use to have a sport a few years ago.
Sorry I typed that weird which made you take it the wrong way. What I was meaning was that I was never really much of a fan of the 05-01's, and that I like 02-10 alot better but I like what you did with yours.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-01-2011
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
If you decide to do it, send me your 06+ mirrors first lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-02-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Sounds like a good deal. If you were closer I'd buy the BMW from you.
Its a good little car, but needs a good bit of TLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
Sorry I typed that weird which made you take it the wrong way. What I was meaning was that I was never really much of a fan of the 05-01's, and that I like 02-10 alot better but I like what you did with yours.
Gotcha I like the 02+ except for the fact its IRS. If I was going for a street truck it would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
If you decide to do it, send me your 06+ mirrors first lol
lol those will be staying on it as with pretty much every mod on it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-02-2011
ZWilson07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 870
Gotcha I like the 02+ except for the fact its IRS. If I was going for a street truck it would be perfect.


Yeah but I know if I bought it I wouldnt be lifting it and using it as an offroad style so I guess that IRS fits it. Id just use it as a DD and to do w.e I need it to do with some decent at's on it. Then say if snow got super bad, or wanting to use something on the farm, or anything like that, id have a built truck to do that with. I just think having a maxed out 4x4 one would be a nice DD either for me or the one day wife and could do anything you needed it to within reason. I eventually want to get something that I can just leave as is and finally be content and not mod/mess with it but so far that hasn't happened lol.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-02-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
I would do it and then sell both of them. I know before you have said your trying to go back to school so any money you can save is a good thing. Or fix the focus and sell the BMW and the explorer.

You have the F150 if you need to take 5 or 6 people anywhere (more then the explorer anyway) and then you have the focus for gas mileage. You said you wanted to go to EMT school so any money you can save while in that is a good thing. Even if it is just $100-200 a month.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-02-2011
hurley's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Belmar NJ
Posts: 1,488
Do it!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-02-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
I would do it and then sell both of them. I know before you have said your trying to go back to school so any money you can save is a good thing. Or fix the focus and sell the BMW and the explorer.

You have the F150 if you need to take 5 or 6 people anywhere (more then the explorer anyway) and then you have the focus for gas mileage. You said you wanted to go to EMT school so any money you can save while in that is a good thing. Even if it is just $100-200 a month.
I'm selling the f150. I have no real use for it and it is just eating too much gas to drive it so it sits more then it's driven. The explorer is far more useful for me then the f150 and the only reason I have kept it was because it was my dads truck, but I think letting it go will be better over all. Focus I would keep for sure since it will save me a good bit in gas. EMT school is only going to cost me about 200 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley View Post
Do it!
I am.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-02-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Done it yet?

(I hope so lol)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-02-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Done it yet?

(I hope so lol)
Not yet. Probably going to tow the focus to my house this week sometime.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-02-2011
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
give me my clips back
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-02-2011
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
give me my clips back
No? lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-02-2011
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
Its a good little car, but needs a good bit of TLC.
Looked like mostly paint work from the last photos I have seen.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-03-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge View Post
I'm selling the f150. I have no real use for it and it is just eating too much gas to drive it so it sits more then it's driven. The explorer is far more useful for me then the f150 and the only reason I have kept it was because it was my dads truck, but I think letting it go will be better over all. Focus I would keep for sure since it will save me a good bit in gas. EMT school is only going to cost me about 200 bucks.
Gotcha. I was going to say that but I know we have argued before about getting rid of the F150 so I left it at that. lol

Thats cheap for EMT school! Get ready for all the fee's after the course. My course cost $1000 and now its another $300-$400 in fee's for the licenses. If you need help with any of it shoot me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-03-2011
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
I didn't read this whole thing, but I will comment on what you should do. You're like a car gypsy. You have too many and they come and go too quick. You need to sell all of them and just get one nice vehicle like a normal person lol. I don't care what it is, just get one nice vehicle that meets all of your needs and drive it everyday and keep it for a few years. No other cars coming and going. You modify them all too, so you're just further wasting money on them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-03-2011
Vonhanson's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Glencoe, Minnesota
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
I didn't read this whole thing, but I will comment on what you should do. You're like a car gypsy. You have too many and they come and go too quick. You need to sell all of them and just get one nice vehicle like a normal person lol. I don't care what it is, just get one nice vehicle that meets all of your needs and drive it everyday and keep it for a few years. No other cars coming and going. You modify them all too, so you're just further wasting money on them.
he also claims that he sells what he paid for and doesn't waste to much money on the mods. i think he said he breaks even with it.

either way i've had friends that go through cars like this.

myself i had a cavalier from 16-18 and my ranger from 18-present(23). well i guess i bought a lumina this spring but the gf drives that so i guess 3 cars in 7 years is good when i still own 2 of them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-03-2011
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
i would keep the truck, but its up to you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-03-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
I didn't read this whole thing, but I will comment on what you should do. You're like a car gypsy. You have too many and they come and go too quick. You need to sell all of them and just get one nice vehicle like a normal person lol. I don't care what it is, just get one nice vehicle that meets all of your needs and drive it everyday and keep it for a few years. No other cars coming and going. You modify them all too, so you're just further wasting money on them.
I AGREE! I dont even know what vehicle(s) you own currently you change vehicles like you change your soxs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing experts (or not) - I need your opinion/advice! Needforspeed3685 General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 12-28-2006 09:41 PM
Need Your Opinion of my Hitch with BL *PICS* 05RangerXLT Exterior Semi-Tech 18 08-13-2006 12:09 PM
I Need Your Opinion Please Trigger01 Exterior Semi-Tech 27 07-18-2006 06:24 PM
Need your opinion? fletch12518 General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 12-19-2005 09:44 PM
need your opinion 04edge Audio & Video Tech 16 06-23-2005 06:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.