If I Get Stuck??? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-18-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hicktown
Posts: 74
If I Get Stuck???

ok so i dont know anything really about how to pull someone out or if i get stuck where to hook the chains up to on my truck.. all i know is that i dont see any tow points on my truck... its a 2003 4x2 edge... were do i hook the stuff up to... whats the safest way
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2005
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
Well if you have no tow hooks then there is no "safe" place really. On mine on the back I just wrap a tow strap around the frame rails.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2005
rangererv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 4,376
I had to pull out someone today in a 2wd truck.
There is really no good place to hook up on a 2wd truck unless you have a trailer hitch.
Luckly i had a tow strap with the hooks on them, and i put the hook in a hole in the frame on the other truck.
If you have a 2wd truck and plan to go mudding a lot and are worried about getting stuck, i would deffinitally weld or bolt some tow hooks to your frame.
Never hook your tow strap to a bumper unless you have a aftermarket bumper that is made for it. A stock bumper will bend and possible break off if you attach to it.

safest way is to just get a trailer hitch or mount tow hooks directly to the frame.

and if you plan to do some mudding, having the towstrap already attached to the recovery point before you get stuck helps a lot. other wise you have to climb through the mud to hook up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
in the rear the hitch is best if you have one, i would not be comfortable useing anything other then the hitch or tow hooks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2005
Oasis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 533
I got stuck (I'm a 2wd as well) when I was out with one of my buds and his 4x4 once. A nifty thing to have is a Y-cable... for lack of better words... It was a short tow strap with a hook on each end and a loop in the middle. Put the two hooks in some holes on each frame rail and it worked out really nicely. Handy thing to have...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hicktown
Posts: 74
so how hard is a hitch or tow hooks to install on our trucks?? cause i want to be sure if i get stuck in the snow or mud i can get out safely
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2005
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangererv
I had to pull out someone today in a 2wd truck.
There is really no good place to hook up on a 2wd truck unless you have a trailer hitch.
Luckly i had a tow strap with the hooks on them, and i put the hook in a hole in the frame on the other truck.
If you have a 2wd truck and plan to go mudding a lot and are worried about getting stuck, i would deffinitally weld or bolt some tow hooks to your frame.
Never hook your tow strap to a bumper unless you have a aftermarket bumper that is made for it. A stock bumper will bend and possible break off if you attach to it.

safest way is to just get a trailer hitch or mount tow hooks directly to the frame.

and if you plan to do some mudding, having the towstrap already attached to the recovery point before you get stuck helps a lot. other wise you have to climb through the mud to hook up.
Just tell everyone who it was lol. KEVIN (Kerv)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2005
dsef82's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpwitharanger
so how hard is a hitch or tow hooks to install on our trucks?? cause i want to be sure if i get stuck in the snow or mud i can get out safely

i put my hitch on in about 30 mins got if from uhaul and the instructions were good. if you have the holes in your frame for the tow hooks all you have to do is thghten 6 bolts. i think that on a 2003 edge you will have the holes up front
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2005
a311fanam's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Westerly, RI
Posts: 2,006
For the front, the lower cross member that the a-arms are attached to can be used as a tow spot. (Just be careful cuz there is a brake-line on the back drivers side) I had to hookup there last week to pull my truck out of my backyard....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2005
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
dont attach to the bumper either, or you will end up with this:

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2005
OffRoad 4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 301
Safety First !!!!!!

From many years of experience on the trail..... I cannot emphasize the words ....SAFETY FIRST !!!!
I WOULD NOT use a tow strap that has hooks on the ends !!!!! The hooks are known as MISSLE HAZARDS.... and when they let loose.... DUCK AND COVER....
I have seen the end results on the trail... They go thru the windshield of a vehicle and imbed themselves in the seat. Hope no one is seated there when it happens. Would not be a pretty sight !!!
Generally what is recommended would be a tow strap of 20,000 lbs using Clevis or D-rings to attach with...

OR 4x4

Last edited by OffRoad 4x4; 12-19-2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Important Information
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2005
rangererv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04lvl2
Just tell everyone who it was lol. KEVIN (Kerv)
haha nice
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2005
kerv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Garden City, Mi
Posts: 211
not funny bill lol atleast i tried to play with the big dogs lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-27-2005
EljayK004's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoad 4x4
From many years of experience on the trail..... I cannot emphasize the words ....SAFETY FIRST !!!!
I WOULD NOT use a tow strap that has hooks on the ends !!!!! The hooks are known as MISSLE HAZARDS.... and when they let loose.... DUCK AND COVER....
I have seen the end results on the trail... They go thru the windshield of a vehicle and imbed themselves in the seat. Hope no one is seated there when it happens. Would not be a pretty sight !!!
Generally what is recommended would be a tow strap of 20,000 lbs using Clevis or D-rings to attach with...

OR 4x4
Well said! I refuse to tow anything out that does not have either tow hooks or a trailer hitch. Also as OffRoad said hooks on the ends of tow straps are a real bad idea get loops and to d-ringds or clevises, spend the extra money and live. Next up chains are also a bad idea. Chains are not designed to be used like a ****** strap (ie. kept loose then ripped on till it gets tight...). Even though a chain my say 40,000 lbs load limit that is consistant. One last thing whenever pulling someone out it is a good idea to use a blanket or coat or something draped over the strap, if the strap does give out the blanket will slow the flying strap down a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-27-2005
duff daddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gardner Ma
Posts: 83
i got some town hooks for xmas that i dont want or need so lemme know if yo uwant them
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you're stuck get this guy. swamper06 Vehicle & Meet Videos 36 11-26-2008 07:31 PM
How come I get stuck so easily? cereal83 General Ford Ranger Discussion 53 03-16-2008 11:01 AM
How to get extreme stuck on road tar off paint? TremorJon Auto Detailing 101 15 08-19-2006 03:10 PM
GAS Filter stuck!? Cant get it off!? fletch12518 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 14 11-26-2005 09:08 PM
My drums get stuck after heavy rains/snows HELP KnightRider General Technical & Electrical 12 08-29-2005 01:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.