Issue with brakes - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-27-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Issue with brakes

Hi gents...

It's been almost 3 months since I've posted

I have an 02 Ranger XLT w/FX4 package. 5-speed, 4.0

I have a slight issue with my brakes. During just normal driving, everything is ok.

If I'm going really slowly, they are ok as well - until I try to turn the wheel. Then it feels and sounds like the ABS is kicking in.

It's the absolute most annoying thing when I'm trying to pull into a parking spot.

I can pull into the parking spot ok but then the last 2 or 3 mph, it feels/sounds like the ABS.

No check engine light, no !Brake light.... nothing.

This started happening before, then it went away for ahile after I replaced the rear wheel cylinders. Now it's back.

Any suggestion? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
That happened to me. Tire ripped off the mudflap/bracket. Have a friend watch the tires while turning and driving.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
interesting. with some rangers people complain of that when it is wet out the brakes are overly sensitive at low speeds. i think it only for 98-00s though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upstate,NY
Posts: 2,598
This issue has popped up at least twice a month for the past few years.
ABS kicking in at ~5 mph .
The problem stems from the distance between the front ABS sensors and the ring in the rotor assembly. Loose / worn wheel bearings are generally the culprit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
interesting. with some rangers people complain of that when it is wet out the brakes are overly sensitive at low speeds. i think it only for 98-00s though.
my 03 does that...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
my 03 does that...
doesn't surprise me. it's not like they changed at all between the years. just bigger rotors.

i can't remember if it is a problem with the rear drums (like water collecting between the drums and the shoes) or with the disks.

not sure. i don't really notice but my brakes have been f'ed up since I bought the truck. siezed p-brake cable, then back wheel cylinders, then warped rotors, then my ABS as out, now I have air in my lines. i gave up on them honestly.

plus the 4x4s and the 4WABS trucks have more issues than the RABS and 2WD trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2010
silverfox's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Taft, Ca
Posts: 1,040
i think i read on here somewhere about a simular issue turned out to be a speed sensor?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRtech View Post
This issue has popped up at least twice a month for the past few years.
ABS kicking in at ~5 mph .
The problem stems from the distance between the front ABS sensors and the ring in the rotor assembly. Loose / worn wheel bearings are generally the culprit.

That would explain A LOT!! I'm also getting a "squealing" noise, sometimes at takeoff after sitting for a day or two, sometimes after a long trip and then stop and go traffic. I'm also getting a "wub - wub - wub" sound and it's frequency is speed dependent. This all seems to be coming from the same general area on the front end, more specifically the drivers side.

Isn't the test for a wheel bearing to jack the tire up and try to move it side to side (as if trying to steer it)?

I should definitely take a look back there tomorrow night and see what I find.

While I'm at it, I should see if I have torsion bars or coil overs up front. I'm in the market for new shocks, ball joints, and tie rod ends, as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
doesn't surprise me. it's not like they changed at all between the years. just bigger rotors.

i can't remember if it is a problem with the rear drums (like water collecting between the drums and the shoes) or with the disks.
its the drums because when its wet and my truck is parked for a long time my e brake will stick and i have to back up a little and go forward to get it to release
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
its the drums because when its wet and my truck is parked for a long time my e brake will stick and i have to back up a little and go forward to get it to release

This has happened to me, as well. Albeit it's rare and it happens more in freezing weather.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decaff2007 View Post
That would explain A LOT!! I'm also getting a "squealing" noise, sometimes at takeoff after sitting for a day or two, sometimes after a long trip and then stop and go traffic. I'm also getting a "wub - wub - wub" sound and it's frequency is speed dependent. This all seems to be coming from the same general area on the front end, more specifically the drivers side.

Isn't the test for a wheel bearing to jack the tire up and try to move it side to side (as if trying to steer it)?

I should definitely take a look back there tomorrow night and see what I find.

While I'm at it, I should see if I have torsion bars or coil overs up front. I'm in the market for new shocks, ball joints, and tie rod ends, as well.
You are 4x4 so you have torsion bars.

I recommend getting everything from Rockauto.com. BEST PRICES HANDS DOWN on Moog ball joints. They have a lifetime warranty so you only buy them once. Plus go on retailmenot and you can get another 5% off. Shipping is also reasonable.

To check if the bearing is bad jack up the tire and spin it. If it makes a squalling or whooping sound it is bad. Or if the wheel moves around side to side that can also means its bad. But bad inner ties and ball joints can also cause the tires to move around so.....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
its the drums because when its wet and my truck is parked for a long time my e brake will stick and i have to back up a little and go forward to get it to release
That makes sense. So switching to disks will solve the problem

Good to know
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
You are 4x4 so you have torsion bars.

I recommend getting everything from Rockauto.com. BEST PRICES HANDS DOWN on Moog ball joints. They have a lifetime warranty so you only buy them once. Plus go on retailmenot and you can get another 5% off. Shipping is also reasonable.

To check if the bearing is bad jack up the tire and spin it. If it makes a squalling or whooping sound it is bad. Or if the wheel moves around side to side that can also means its bad. But bad inner ties and ball joints can also cause the tires to move around so.....

Ok I gotcha on the torsion bars.

Also, yes, rockauto.com is where I buy 99% of what I need. I just bought a tie rod end for my g/f's 94 ranger from there.

Also, I went underneath tonight and checked everything I could. Ball joints are still good, as are the tie rod ends. The problem is definitely the passenger side wheel bearing. I'm going to replace both sides, as this is the norm.

Another thing, and sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, but this boot is not on the fitting the way it should be. I don't know what it's called and it's hard to tell from the pic but the back of the boot is disconnected from the fitting. What's this called and how hard is it to fix?

Name:  boot.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  26.1 KB

EDIT: I'm looking on rockauto.com and advanceautoparts.com and there are SOOOO many different parts. I cannot determine which wheel bearing I need. I know I have the 8.8 rear gear but what the hell does that have to do with the FRONT wheel bearing?

Last edited by Decaff2007; 11-03-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Needed to add info
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decaff2007 View Post
That would explain A LOT!! I'm also getting a "squealing" noise, sometimes at takeoff after sitting for a day or two, sometimes after a long trip and then stop and go traffic. I'm also getting a "wub - wub - wub" sound and it's frequency is speed dependent. This all seems to be coming from the same general area on the front end, more specifically the drivers side.

Isn't the test for a wheel bearing to jack the tire up and try to move it side to side (as if trying to steer it)?

I should definitely take a look back there tomorrow night and see what I find.

While I'm at it, I should see if I have torsion bars or coil overs up front. I'm in the market for new shocks, ball joints, and tie rod ends, as well.
classic wheel bearing noise
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Right, ok so does anyone have a part number for this wheel bearing? There are too many to choose from. Is the bearing tapered or not?

Thanks,
RJ
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
uh dude you have to replace the whole hub...its a sealed unit
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-2010
silverfox's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Taft, Ca
Posts: 1,040
for the front of your truck timkin SP450201 there under: axle bearing and hub assemblys on rockauto.com not under wheel bearings

the tapered bearing are for the front on 2wd's and the nontapered one are for the rear axle's
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
uh dude you have to replace the whole hub...its a sealed unit
PLEASE tell me you are ******* kidding me?!!?



.....UGH.... Maybe your not. I just checked the Chilton's guide. It says to remove the whole hub and not a thing about the bearing...

I wasn't exactly happy with the price, either, but well if you want to play you have to pay
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
nope i aint kidding you...have to replace my LF soon...price aint too bad
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-05-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
price aint too too bad for them i was quoted around 200 by my local ford dealer
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-05-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
price aint too too bad for them i was quoted around 200 by my local ford dealer

Not surprising if you went to a dealer for the quote.

Advance auto wanted something like the $250 range.

The only reason I'm cringing at the price is because I wanted to do both at the same time. I don't have the $$ for that.

Anyway, thanks for the part number. I went ahead and ordered the hub assembly. I see that it even comes with a new sensor . This is good, and it definitely explains why my brakes are starting to act up.

LoL I also had a coupon code for 5% off so that pretty much gave me free shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-05-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
yea NAPA wanted 400 for one!..you replacing it yourself?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
yea NAPA wanted 400 for one!..you replacing it yourself?
Yes, indeed I am

I'm currently waiting for the damn thing to get here. This will teach me to order a part on a Saturday night and expect it here on Monday morning.....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-11-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Haha!! Finally here. Looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow...

Name:  rightwheelhub.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  rightwheelhub2.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  89.5 KB
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-14-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 216
Hmmm, ok got the new wheel bearing/hub installed. The damn noise is still there and my ABS still kicks in if I'm making a sharp left turn. I definitely need new rotors.

Maybe I should replace the other side??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9" brakes or 10" brakes Runarenis 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 12 08-21-2011 11:55 PM
Brakes issue: pulls to the left Lord Of War General Technical & Electrical 2 06-05-2011 07:00 AM
trans issue, and i mean issue rangerdanger01 Drivetrain Tech 2 01-09-2011 01:13 PM
Is it a timing issue or a fuel issue? Drewbis SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 7 08-13-2010 07:16 AM
Issue with brakes 01RangerEdge Drivetrain Tech 21 07-24-2010 03:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.