Offroading 101 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-19-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Offroading 101

Im new the the hole offroading thing, i had a stupid little civic before my awesome ranger.

So what can potentially harm my truck, with the height of my truck what kind of puddles should i go through, i just need some offroading 101.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2010
bergs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arizona Bay
Posts: 151
Well, I'm not much of a 'wheeler but I've dunked my 2001 up to the headlights when we had some flooding in the area. I can't lie tho, I was freaking out once the water got up that high however the truck wasn't affected.

Personally I'd go thru and check and tighten every single connection that would let something into the engine/ gearbox....all rubber vacuum lines, intake stuff, etc. Make certain the engine and drive train are is as sealed as possible before going for a swim.

Outside of that, I'd say to use your head.....no 10 foot jumps or getting pulled out of a mudhole by the axles and things of that nature.

If you care about keeping your truck, pressure wash everything after 'wheeling. Consider the long-term affects of offroading...the silt and grit that stays on the components if it's not washed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2010
steveo1271's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: lexington,sc
Posts: 780
well i've went mudding/offroadin with a 93 2wd ranger and,2wd s10 and 4wd ranger it all depends on how much you wanna take your truck through,the 00 2wd s10 i've went in creeks where it came up to the middle of the windsheild,with that being said the best thing for you to do is start off with the little stuff and go from there weither you be 4wd or 2wd it all depends on how you drive and what you got on your truck,the best of off roaders are gonna get stuck it's just a matter of time with off roading

Last edited by steveo1271; 10-19-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2010
steveo1271's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: lexington,sc
Posts: 780
but i will say if you gotta think twice about it don't go through it man trust you will learn lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo1271 View Post
well i've went mudding/offroadin with a 93 2wd ranger and,2wd s10 and 4wd ranger it all depends on how much you wanna take your truck through,the 00 2wd s10 i've went in creeks where it came up to the middle of the windsheild,with that being said the best thing for you to do is start off with the little stuff and go from there weither you be 4wd or 2wd it all depends on how you drive and what you got on your truck,the best of off roaders are gonna get stuck it's just a matter of time with off roading
I don't plan on driving it into 7 feet of water, just like a foot of mud, hills, dips ect...
But it's an 88, and it's old so careful i think would be the best.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2010
steveo1271's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: lexington,sc
Posts: 780
best thing to do is have someone with a 4wd with you when you go off roading even if you going thru 2in of mud or 1ft of mud it just depends on how thick or soupy the mud is,and tires lockers plays a difference in it too
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2010
Endoverend47's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fox Island, Wa
Posts: 239
read both of these they will help you

4X4 Driving Techniques

TNOffRoad - Driving Tips
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo1271 View Post
best thing to do is have someone with a 4wd with you when you go off roading even if you going thru 2in of mud or 1ft of mud it just depends on how thick or soupy the mud is,and tires lockers plays a difference in it too
Oh i got four wheel drive, it's really tight, and works like new.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoverend47 View Post
read both of these they will help you

4X4 Driving Techniques

TNOffRoad - Driving Tips
Thanks those are both very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Avoid things that cause body damage. I've gotten stuck in a forest while it was raining...Luckily I was able to not hit anything, but it was pretty tricky to get it out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-19-2010
k.blakeley's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,823
Dont hydrolock your motor. I went through a hole that came past my headlights and the truck sucked water and died. Got pulled out let air filter dry and it started back up(thank God) I thought I ruined my motor. Also it ran like crap for 20 mins but finally cleared up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2010
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
When you get stuck, use a ****** strap, not a tow strap, or god forbid a chain. there is a huge difference. A ****** strap is designed to stretch and use the other trucks momentum and inertia to aid in pulling you out. It has alot of give, while chains and tow straps are designed to have no give at all. This can cause them to bed and twist the frame of your truck, OR break and become flying projectiles.

Otherwise, just go out and dont be a dumb *** lol. Ease into it at first, take some easy trails to get used to your trucks width.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2010
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
I read of a good trick for after offroading. Its to get a sprinkler and set it up under your truck after offroading. Then move the sprinkler or the truck as necessary to wash the entire underside until clean. I thought it sounded like a hell of an idea.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Ranger station has a few articles about vehicle recovery and off roading
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2010
strakill's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: santa maria, Ca
Posts: 430
The most important thing to remember IMHO is don't do anything beyond your driving capabilities. Your new to it so take it slow. Start with some dirt roads and find out how your vehicle reacts and learn to control it and move up fron there. try to hook up with people (responsible I might add) that are experianced and ask them if you can go on some runs with them, you will learn alot and usually off-roaders are anxious to teach and bring new people to the sport. It is always better to have another experianced driver/vehicle with you than go it alone. Always tread lightly and most importantly be safe and have fun.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-24-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by strakill View Post
The most important thing to remember IMHO is don't do anything beyond your driving capabilities. Your new to it so take it slow. Start with some dirt roads and find out how your vehicle reacts and learn to control it and move up fron there. try to hook up with people (responsible I might add) that are experianced and ask them if you can go on some runs with them, you will learn alot and usually off-roaders are anxious to teach and bring new people to the sport. It is always better to have another experianced driver/vehicle with you than go it alone. Always tread lightly and most importantly be safe and have fun.
I took it mudding yesterday, and then decided to follow a friend down into the pit as we call it, so i came home and wah la my tire went flat.
No big worry's though because i have good warranty with les shwab.

But thanks man
Im not doing anything extreme until i get a newer 2006 ranger or something, because mine is just old and tired, im not gonna beat it to much.
But she's a good starter to get into offroading.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-24-2010
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
just use common sense
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
just use common sense
It does fine with regular off roading or whatever, but my tires i just need to be careful, there mostly a street tire, but do fine offroad.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-25-2010
Machine090767's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,410
Nick, could you add a signature that tells us about your ranger? year, model, engine size, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-25-2010
PSHB.Stl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ballwin, Missouri
Posts: 22
strakill what wheels are those?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-25-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine090767 View Post
Nick, could you add a signature that tells us about your ranger? year, model, engine size, etc...
And how exactly do you do that?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dome light wiring help 101. flomaster General Technical & Electrical 20 10-30-2017 12:05 PM
cb radio 101 yellow_edge General Ford Ranger Discussion 16 11-08-2008 04:07 PM
Ranger painting 101 wvcat Project Logs 52 11-16-2007 03:28 PM
timing belt 101 dirtysouth 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 2 03-27-2006 07:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.