plugs and wires swap out - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
Wirelessly posted (Timberwolf)

Out of curiosity, at how many kms are you guys changing out your plugs and wires? I know it depends on how hard we drive our rigs, just digging around on what you guys think. 100k on stock plugs just seems to be tad long IMO. Im around the 60k mark. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2011
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
i have them sitting in y room waiting for this weekend to go in. im at 78k

Name:  2011-02-05183230.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  172.0 KB
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
Wirelessly posted (Timberwolf)

Hey right on! Stock plugs. Sweet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2011
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
yup, ordered from AdvanceAuto.com and entered a code to get 20% off. then ordered the wires from rockauto.com and entered a code and got them for 5% off.

Spark Plugs<--Click Here

Enter the code P20 in your shopping cart to get 20% off purchase

RockAuto isnt listing the wires I bought right now

here was my thread, you can see part numbers:

https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/my-truck-gonna-love-me-118790/

Last edited by dixie_boysles; 02-14-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2011
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Here are some photos of my fine-wire platinums with 103K miles on them. You can see the effect of the opposite polarity spark on each bank, by which electrode has the most erosion:


1


2


3


4


5


6


7


8


9


10


11


12


13


14
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2011
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
now my truck came stock with three Platinum spark plugs on one bank, and three Nickel spark plugs on the other bank...wierd. i researched it and sure enoughm that was the way it came factory
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2011
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
now my truck came stock with three Platinum spark plugs on one bank, and three Nickel spark plugs on the other bank...wierd. i researched it and sure enoughm that was the way it came factory

No, from the factory, the plugs in one bank have a platinum bead on the center electrode, and the plugs in the other bank has a platinum bead on the GND electrode. The replacement plugs are either double platinum, or fine-wire platinum (only the center electrode is platinum).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2011
Ford04Ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plattsburgh, New York
Posts: 3,390
70K I changed mine to...

Name:  IMG_0787.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  119.0 KB


I just rolled over 72K
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2011
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
No, from the factory, the plugs in one bank have a platinum bead on the center electrode, and the plugs in the other bank has a platinum bead on the GND electrode. The replacement plugs are either double platinum, or fine-wire platinum (only the center electrode is platinum).
its funny though, if you go to the dealership (i called) and ask what spark plugs, and if you go to motorcraft.com, it recommends the SP-412 for the 4.0, which specified as a Nickel plug. So had I went with dealership, id have gotten these plugs. It is very unlear which plugs you need unless you take your old plugs out and go get the replacements.

a guy i talked to on RPS who pulled his factory plugs out of his 2001 4.0 said he had 3 nickel and 3 platinum. however i have read somewhere that the nickel plugs have a platinum bead on electrode (kinda like what your talking about)

[IMG][/IMG]

Either way, im replacing all of mine with the Fine Wire platinums, i think it will run good!

Last edited by dixie_boysles; 02-14-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2011
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
When i Bought my truck, my bro took it to a shop to have a tune up done, i had 2 different kinds of plugs in mine. That was at 55k, not sure if they had ever been changed before but my guess is no, so thats odd that it came from factory that way.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2011
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
see above few posts, we've been discussing that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
by the looks of it, most of you guys are changing them out around the 50-70k mark. Right on. My rig is running ok as of now. But I am looking to do a tune up, like right now. I know my rig can run smoother than it is now with a fresh tune up. I was going for new stock wires, but the plugs.....not really sure what I wanna run. I plan on getting a programmer very soon to accommodate with my intake and exhaust upgrades. So, am I in need of a higher grade plug than stock?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
@Takeda....great pics man
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2011
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
by the looks of it, most of you guys are changing them out around the 50-70k mark. Right on. My rig is running ok as of now. But I am looking to do a tune up, like right now. I know my rig can run smoother than it is now with a fresh tune up. I was going for new stock wires, but the plugs.....not really sure what I wanna run. I plan on getting a programmer very soon to accommodate with my intake and exhaust upgrades. So, am I in need of a higher grade plug than stock?
Absolutely NOT! Run the recommended Motorcraft fine wire platinum. As far as your intake and exhaust upgrades, you could have sent me the money you spent, and got the same improvement in performance!

All the K&N CAI will do is contaminate your MAF sensor with dirt and oil, and gum up your throttle body. With the larger diameter intake tube, the air velocity will decrease, screwing up the air flow measured by the MAF sensor.

On the positive side, you will have more noise, and you will get a slight performance increase from W.W.R. (Wallet Weight Reduction)

Last edited by Takeda; 02-14-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
Well lol thanks for your advise and criticism! Are you pro stock or something? Most programmers do ask If you run aftermarket parts to work with your rig. I know im not gonna get HUGE hp gains, but some does help with the BL and bigger than stock shoes. I like it. Hey, it's a truck. But ya, I hear ya on the plugs. My airflow intake was adjusted
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
Thanks for your opinion buds!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-2011
Timberwolf's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East coast Canada
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Absolutely NOT! Run the recommended Motorcraft fine wire platinum. As far as your intake and exhaust upgrades, you could have sent me the money you spent, and got the same improvement in performance!

All the K&N CAI will do is contaminate your MAF sensor with dirt and oil, and gum up your throttle body. With the larger diameter intake tube, the air velocity will decrease, screwing up the air flow measured by the MAF sensor.

On the positive side, you will have more noise, and you will get a slight performance increase from W.W.R. (Wallet Weight Reduction)
Oooooooook. Did you get out everything you wanted to say? Hey, thanks man. Have a great valentines day
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spark Plugs Wires & Spark Plugs vancouverisland 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 07-26-2017 12:28 AM
Plugs/Wires (wires bad) ROSCO 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 11-02-2011 12:01 PM
plugs and wires.... lifted97ranger 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 32 01-27-2006 06:47 AM
spark plugs and wires gatorblue92 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 18 10-04-2005 09:20 PM
Noise supression / shielded spark plugs and wires?? FireRanger General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 11-04-2004 06:34 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.