The Ranger is finally getting a home... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-26-2006
elmo_4_vt's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 377
The Ranger is finally getting a home... (DONE!!!!)

Go down for more pics, but here it is... I still need the car-port, but I've decided to wait on that until later... Ran out of money.. :o)


The small one car garage that is attached to our new house is too small for the ranger to fit in even if it was completely empty, let alone that it's packed with all the tools that used to be in my larger garage at the old house. So what do you do? Build an even better garage for the Ranger to stay in. Hopefully, the footer trench will be dug next week, then it's me and my buddies, father building things up as fast as possible trying to get things weather proof before the winter months. I'll keep adding pics as it progresses. Garage Stats:

28'x30' garage + 9' carport on one side.
Two 8'-6" high x 9' wide garage doors + one window on the front.
Personel door + 7' high x 6' wide garage door on the side facing the house
Inside, one bay will have 10' ceilings with a small attic, the other side will have a pitched ceiling, allowing for the future addition of a two-post lift.

Front Elevation of it:


1st pics.. Kind of lame, but it's the first step. This is just the 4 corners, and the front doors staked out so I can string them, and paint the dig line on the ground: (Ignore the 3rd stake from the right in the front, it is just for locating the garage from the back of the house)





THE FOOTER IS DONE!!! THE FOUNDATION WILL BE DONE THIS WEEKEND!!!
Getting the block, brick, sand, mortar delivered tomorrow (11-29). Should have the block work done this Saturday!









THE FOUNDATION IS DONE!!! (12-3-06) THE PAD SHOULD BE DONE NEXT WEEK!!!
Should start on the grading on Monday!









THE PAD IS DONE!!! (12-16-06) THE WALLS PROBABLY WON'T START UNTIL SPRING THOUGH... :o(















THE WALLS ARE GOING UP!!! (5-29-07) This is this weekends progress...







THE ROOF TRUSSES ARE IN!!! (6-03-07) This is this weekends progress...










THE ROOF SHINGLES AND WINDOWS ARE IN!!! (6-24-07) This is the past 3 weekends progress...









THE BRICK, GARAGE DOORS, INTERIOR BRACING, FRONT SKIRT, SIDEWALK ARE DONE, SIDING IS STARTED(8-22-07) This is the past 2 MONTHS (I've been slow) progress...









I GOT EVERYTHING DONE ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO(10-08-07) I'M JUST GETTING READY TO START ON THE BENCHES AN MOVING ALL THE TOOLS IN NOW...






Last edited by elmo_4_vt; 10-24-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2006
telemaster1952's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dover, Deleware
Posts: 3,481
nice
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
2 words u suck!!! mine has to stay outside....lol i would kill to have a garage to work on my truck...hehe congrats man!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ft Hood, TX
Posts: 1,779
nice man. what version of CAD is that?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2006
BRENSRANGER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,308
mine is always outside
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2006
elmo_4_vt's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy03FX4
nice man. what version of CAD is that?

It's Microstation V8. It's what I do almost all of my CAD on. I just like it better for 2D stuff than AutoCAD. Maybe it's just because I'm more proficiant with it though.

-
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2006
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB Offroad Edition
2 words u suck!!! mine has to stay outside....lol i would kill to have a garage to work on my truck...hehe congrats man!!!
Ditto, but I am happy for you!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2006
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
very nice... i know how you feel... i can just barely fit in my garage on the days my dad works because of the work bench... im looking foward to our new house thats 5 feet deeper and ill be inside then....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2006
gatorblue92's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,238
very nice
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
sweet. that is a pretty good size garage. just remember no garage is ever too big!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: West Melbourne,FL
Posts: 181
Very nice , if you do not mind what are you going to spend for that I have
been looking into the same thing if you do not want to say I understand.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2006
dixieranger44
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
thats gonna be nice. hope you dont mind me askin, but why are you makin an attic instead of a loft? just out of cuirosity.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2006
elmo_4_vt's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhite95
Very nice , if you do not mind what are you going to spend for that I have
been looking into the same thing if you do not want to say I understand.
No, I don't really mind, I think that what this type of site is about... Well, doing just about everything myself (except for the pad and the footer), my estimated total so far is about $21k (love home equity loans :o). Honestly, if you really are looking for the same type of garage (stick built, poured footer), I can send you everything I have. I've put together a master Bill of Materials (that shows the $21k total) and I have drawings that I've gotten approved from the county/state. Just let me know what you need and I'll do what I can to help you out.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
dang man i hate microstation v8.......i guess it is whatever you started on....i started on CAD and can't really run v8 all that well.....

nice garage....the only advice i have for you is to pay the little extra and have 9' tall garage doors installed.....with the 8 footers will limit what you can get in there.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2006
elmo_4_vt's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieranger44
thats gonna be nice. hope you dont mind me askin, but why are you makin an attic instead of a loft? just out of cuirosity.
My house only has a 6/12 pitch, and it's hard to shingle a roof with more than a 5/12 pitch (higher angles make it harder on your ankles/knees)... If I wanted to make it taller, I could make it a "loft", but with that type of pitch, it only works out to about 4' of space once you get all the bracing in. Hence me calling it an attic. I will be open like a loft though, and if I ever get thrown out of my house, I'm sure it wil make a nice place to crash.... :o)

-
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-26-2006
elmo_4_vt's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
nice garage....the only advice i have for you is to pay the little extra and have 9' tall garage doors installed.....with the 8 footers will limit what you can get in there.....
I put 9' tall doors on the last garage I built, the problem is that I can't find them in anything but an "industrial" style. I'm trying my hardest to make this look like a really nice garage asthetically to the neighbors and match the house really well. It stinks having to make sacrifices like that, but with the size I've decided on, it's hard not to make SOME consetions. Besides, 8' will still allow me to fit my boat, and a SAS'ed Ranger in there. Heck, I used to fit my '79 F-250 on 38's in an 8' door with 1/2" to spare. :o)

-
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-26-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
My house only has a 6/12 pitch, and it's hard to shingle a roof with more than a 5/12 pitch (higher angles make it harder on your ankles/knees)... If I wanted to make it taller, I could make it a "loft", but with that type of pitch, it only works out to about 4' of space once you get all the bracing in. Hence me calling it an attic. I will be open like a loft though, and if I ever get thrown out of my house, I'm sure it wil make a nice place to crash.... :o)

-
the difference between a 5-12 pitch and a 6-12 pitch is meer nothing....there is not any visibly different.........

like i said before, make at least 1 door 9' tall.....you will regret it if you dont...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
No, I don't really mind, I think that what this type of site is about... Well, doing just about everything myself (except for the pad and the footer), my estimated total so far is about $21k (love home equity loans :o). Honestly, if you really are looking for the same type of garage (stick built, poured footer), I can send you everything I have. I've put together a master Bill of Materials (that shows the $21k total) and I have drawings that I've gotten approved from the county/state. Just let me know what you need and I'll do what I can to help you out.

how much is the concrete per yard delivered there? I take it you are going to heat it as well? ever think about that water pipes i nthe concrete for heating? finishing the inside? drywall?

im always interested in construction stuff, wish i had the time to learn some of the techniques. I'm always helping Dad with stuff like this.

Cant wait to see the progress.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-26-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
I put 9' tall doors on the last garage I built, the problem is that I can't find them in anything but an "industrial" style. I'm trying my hardest to make this look like a really nice garage asthetically to the neighbors and match the house really well. It stinks having to make sacrifices like that, but with the size I've decided on, it's hard not to make SOME consetions. Besides, 8' will still allow me to fit my boat, and a SAS'ed Ranger in there. Heck, I used to fit my '79 F-250 on 38's in an 8' door with 1/2" to spare. :o)

-
you can get the door panels and build your own door from 84 Lumber or a company call "the overhead door store".......my brother has 2 16'w x 9'h doors on his garage that are just like the one that is on his house.....with his '79 and 9.5" of lift and 38's he can barely get the truck in there......

if you dont want the 9' door that is fine, do what you want, just giving you my opinion....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
the difference between a 5-12 pitch and a 6-12 pitch is meer nothing....there is not any visibly different.........

like i said before, make at least 1 door 9' tall.....you will regret it if you dont...

an 8' door is more than adaquate for a lot of people. heck 8' is a foot taller than a standard garage door.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-26-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
how much is the concrete per yard delivered there? I take it you are going to heat it as well? ever think about that water pipes i nthe concrete for heating? finishing the inside? drywall?

im always interested in construction stuff, wish i had the time to learn some of the techniques. I'm always helping Dad with stuff like this.

Cant wait to see the progress.
the price it would cost to run the heating pipes in the floor would be outrageous compared to the cost of just installing a regular heat pump......it would be just like a slab house...they have no floor heating in them........i know concrete here in southern indiana delivered is $85 a yard, and it is a 4 yard min to deliver.....

to finish the inside i would put celuous(sp?) in the walls, then cover the inside with OSB, then sheet rock over the OSB....the reason for the OSB is it will stiffen the sheet rock since it is inside a garage, and allow things to bang into it without as much damage.....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-26-2006
shadyluke's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 2,077
Nice. Do what Zach said and put heat in the floor. My dads 3 car garage is that way. Itz pretty nice and the dogs like it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-26-2006
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Looks Great!

Good luck and in my Experiance budget at least 25% more than you figure, if you come in under thats a bonus.

re: Microstation V8, I jumo back and forth between clients from AutoCad to V8. I like a little bit of each but I hated Microstation at first. In my side Business at home I use AutoCad and Pro-E depending on who I am contracted to.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
the price it would cost to run the heating pipes in the floor would be outrageous compared to the cost of just installing a regular heat pump......it would be just like a slab house...they have no floor heating in them........

its not that bad. i know some people around here that did it and love it. but they have huge buildings. but in the winter if you keep the concrete warm the rest of the room will stay pretty warm and it has to be cost effective with those fuel prices.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-26-2006
dixieranger44
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
My house only has a 6/12 pitch, and it's hard to shingle a roof with more than a 5/12 pitch (higher angles make it harder on your ankles/knees)... If I wanted to make it taller, I could make it a "loft", but with that type of pitch, it only works out to about 4' of space once you get all the bracing in. Hence me calling it an attic. I will be open like a loft though, and if I ever get thrown out of my house, I'm sure it wil make a nice place to crash.... :o)

-
oh ok. it is a loft then. i was just wonderin why you would close it in. but your not so that answers my question
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
finally got back home Warren Snapshots 4 11-14-2008 06:49 PM
Finally, got grandpa's bike home robert99ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 06-15-2008 11:33 PM
Finally Got Towed Home!!!!!!!!! vp6799 General Ford Ranger Discussion 19 09-05-2005 11:25 PM
Home sweet home... buckgnarly General Ford Ranger Discussion 25 08-22-2005 07:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.