temp. fix for blown head gasket - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-12-2011
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 4
temp. fix for blown head gasket

Hi, i am trading my truck in soon for a new truck. A few weeks ago it was running pretty good and was not yet diagnosed it needed a head gasket. Now it is missing badly and i am getting worried about the trade in time.
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3.0 v6 2wd , auto if that matters.
I did buy a $10 container of that silicone stuff you add the the radiator but it didn't do anything at all.
I received 4,300 trade in for this pos. Now with it running so badly i am getting scared about screwing my trade in value for it.
I need a temporary fix.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: erie,pa
Posts: 99
Could pull the head and put a new one on for 2days of hard work and about 100$'s in parts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2011
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberizedTOAD View Post
Could pull the head and put a new one on for 2days of hard work and about 100$'s in parts.
no way
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Havertown,PA
Posts: 467
There was a company that advertised on here that had a fix that you pour in and it actually fixed it. Can't remember the name. And I think they are in Doylestown Pa.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2011
dirtybird819's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: newark, oh
Posts: 448
Sea foam it and see if u can get it to run a lil smoother for a couple days.

also if u have a writen quote for trade in value it shouldnt matter anyways they already agreed to give ya 4300 trade in value.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Havertown,PA
Posts: 467
Just saw it--Its Steel Seal. It has a video in it too.Look up above in the advertisments.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post
Hi, i am trading my truck in soon for a new truck. A few weeks ago it was running pretty good and was not yet diagnosed it needed a head gasket. Now it is missing badly and i am getting worried about the trade in time.
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3.0 v6 2wd , auto if that matters.
I did buy a $10 container of that silicone stuff you add the the radiator but it didn't do anything at all.
I received 4,300 trade in for this pos. Now with it running so badly i am getting scared about screwing my trade in value for it.
I need a temporary fix.
Any ideas?
Don't drive it, thats your temporary fix, unless your actually gonna fix it right, A blown head-gasket is a blown head-gasket, nothing you dump in the engine or radiator will change that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Wirelessly posted

Blue devil look it up did it to my girls neon works great no issues and its been 25k since
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2011
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
anything you add to your engine to fix a leak is designed to plug the leak. what else do you think it is going into? your oil pump, all your oil galleries in the block, piston cooling jets (if the engine has any). everything that relies on oil to lubricate will be affected. not a smart move
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2011
Murphy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
anything you add to your engine to fix a leak is designed to plug the leak. what else do you think it is going into? your oil pump, all your oil galleries in the block, piston cooling jets (if the engine has any). everything that relies on oil to lubricate will be affected. not a smart move
He's talking about a head gasket leak, not oil. As in, he's throwing radiator and heater core-clogging crap into the cooling system.


OP: There is no "temp fix". Do it right or don't even touch it.

Also, LOL at the guy saying he can fix it with $100 in parts. Head set alone will set him back $150-200. Then there's the cost of new head bolts (TTY, remember?). That's $30 a box, need two boxes. So there's $60. Then you gotta send the heads out and get 'em pressure tested and milled by a machine shop. There's another $80-150. Then there's the 6-8 hours labor to do the repair. It isn't a job any backyard hack can do, and do right.

I have done headgasket jobs on a number of vehicles, latest being a '98 3.0L Ranger. Parts cost me somewhere around $450 total, and that was at shop cost.

There's a reason most shops charge around $1,200 to do those jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-14-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
He's talking about a head gasket leak, not oil. As in, he's throwing radiator and heater core-clogging crap into the cooling system.


OP: There is no "temp fix". Do it right or don't even touch it.

Also, LOL at the guy saying he can fix it with $100 in parts. Head set alone will set him back $150-200. Then there's the cost of new head bolts (TTY, remember?). That's $30 a box, need two boxes. So there's $60. Then you gotta send the heads out and get 'em pressure tested and milled by a machine shop. There's another $80-150. Then there's the 6-8 hours labor to do the repair. It isn't a job any backyard hack can do, and do right.

I have done headgasket jobs on a number of vehicles, latest being a '98 3.0L Ranger. Parts cost me somewhere around $450 total, and that was at shop cost.

There's a reason most shops charge around $1,200 to do those jobs.
^ if you can't fix it right, don't even fix it at all. i've seen too many engines get blown that way.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-14-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: erie,pa
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
^ if you can't fix it right, don't even fix it at all. i've seen too many engines get blown that way.
NAh he just wants to screw over the dealership. he SHOULD tell them and make sure they know they had already agreed to the amount of 4500 or whatever it was.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-14-2011
patkelly1336's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elm Grove, Wisconsin
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post
no way
Umm. yea. Easily done, with the right tools and the right gasket, can be fixed in a day or two. Otherwise, good luck spending thousands to have a dealer or mechanic do it, labor will take many hours times around 78 bucks an hour
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-14-2011
dirtybird819's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: newark, oh
Posts: 448
i just had my heads replaced in my 3.0 cause one head was cracked, cost me $1683 and i got a new radiator and water pump. they had it 9 days.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-14-2011
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird819 View Post
i just had my heads replaced in my 3.0 cause one head was cracked, cost me $1683 and i got a new radiator and water pump. they had it 9 days.
you could get an engine from a wrecker for around $800. super simple to install too. everything is plug and play. i would never pay $1700 for heads, rad and water pump. that must have really hurt to fork over that kind of cash
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-17-2011
dirtybird819's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: newark, oh
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
you could get an engine from a wrecker for around $800. super simple to install too. everything is plug and play. i would never pay $1700 for heads, rad and water pump. that must have really hurt to fork over that kind of cash
believe me if i knew it was gonna go down like that i would have went that route. it was just spose to be a head gasket job and like i said they had it for like 2 weeks plus i was workin 70+ hrs at work i needed my truck back.

i was planning on motor swapin it if it ever blew up.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a truck run good with a blown head gasket? UnderdogGN General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 1 Week Ago 02:22 AM
2.9 Blown Head Gasket Surgery, lil Help... pushdeck 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 1 11-20-2007 06:47 PM
Blown head gasket? MRC 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 05-20-2007 10:42 AM
Cracked head or blown head gasket rangerrob 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 1 02-20-2006 02:23 PM
Blown head gasket or cracked head rangeon99 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 20 12-04-2005 02:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.